Mr Goon's Good Points!

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Mr Goon's Good Points!

Post by pete9012S »

Yak wrote:I really want to think of some but am struggling :) I suppose, tho, that we do largely see Goon through the children's eyes and perhaps he has points about him that they do not, yet, see. I think that he was probably scrupulously honest, for instance .. not the type to become a bent copper.

yes I think scrupulously honest is a very good good point,remember he was willing to go out on duty day or night and work hard in his own inept way in an honest manner!

I will amend the list to add this point........
regards
Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

1.He feels remorse when Ern goes missing in 'Hidden House,and imagines how he will welcome him and give him a slap up meal,....if ever Ern comes home.....

2. In Hidden House Goon shows concern for what he thinks is a cow out on Christmas Hill on a bitterly cold night.

3. Goon's nephew, Ern, was his one and only good point...

4. He shows some courage and pluck occasionally - i.e. in Missing Necklace he poses as a waxwork.

5. He has some brains - he discovers the secret code in Missing Necklace and comes up with the idea of posing as a waxwork.

6. He gives joy to Buster.

7.He apologizes and feels bad after stuffing the wet Doll's clothes down Fatty's neck.(Afterall, Fatty has given Goon a really hard time.......)

8. He decided to uphold law and order as a career, rather than becoming a villain.

9. He is dedicated to his job, as demonstrated in Pantomime Cat when he cuts his holiday short, dashing home straight away when the mystery crops up.

10.scrupulously honest

11.......Bonus good point (unlikely but what the heck!

JUST ONE GOON GOOD POINT TO GO! (Im sending a small mystery prize to the person to post the last bonus point,as we will then have accomplished our very difficult mission)
Regards
Pete

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't know if this really counts as a good point, but Fatty found him extremely useful to test some of his disguises on.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Not wishing to criticise, but isn't point 10 covered by point 8? :|
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:Not wishing to criticise, but isn't point 10 covered by point 8? :|
Yes it is. Nobody has mentioned that poor old Goon served as the butt of nearly every joke, trick and jape in the entire FFO series. Without him Peterswood would have been a less entertaining place. He is a quintessential part of the books and , indeed, I would rate him as the second most important character after Fatty. Long live old Goon and I hope he had a nice retirement. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

1.He feels remorse when Ern goes missing in 'Hidden House,and imagines how he will welcome him and give him a slap up meal,....if ever Ern comes home.....

2. In Hidden House Goon shows concern for what he thinks is a cow out on Christmas Hill on a bitterly cold night.

3. Goon's nephew, Ern, was his one and only good point...

4. He shows some courage and pluck occasionally - i.e. in Missing Necklace he poses as a waxwork.

5. He has some brains - he discovers the secret code in Missing Necklace and comes up with the idea of posing as a waxwork.

6. He gives joy to Buster.

7.He apologizes and feels bad after stuffing the wet Doll's clothes down Fatty's neck.(Afterall, Fatty has given Goon a really hard time.......)

8. He decided to uphold law and order as a career, rather than becoming a villain.

9. He is dedicated to his job, as demonstrated in Pantomime Cat when he cuts his holiday short, dashing home straight away when the mystery crops up.

10.scrupulously honest

11.DRUM ROLL!! BONUS POINT>>>>>someone good for fatty to practice his disguises on!!!"

Well done everybody who took part in what was obviously a tricky list to complete given the nature and character of pc Goon!
Regards
Pete
Last edited by pete9012S on 15 Mar 2010, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote:I don't know if this really counts as a good point, but Fatty found him extremely useful to test some of his disguises on.
Well done Katherine for providing the what the 'eck bonus good point!(If you would like to private message an address you want your prize posting to it will be sent to you by return!)
Regards
Pete :D

ps.Moonrakers & Lucky Stars point is taken on board about answers 8 & 10,but many who choose to join the force arent always scrupulously honest thereafter!
Hope thats ok chaps!
Regards
Pete :D

Society Member
un PC
Favourite book/series: Valley of Adventure, Enchanted Wood, Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Moon Face

Post by un PC »

He never attended a diversity course
Death to political correctness
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Whilst we're so ably defending that all round good egg and genial boss of the Secret Seven, Peter, can we apply the same benevolence to Mr Goon.

Have we missed out any of his overlooked good points.

Have we mentioned that he could wield a poker like a Samurai Warrior??

Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I'd take issue with "scrupulously honest".

What about the time he paid for Buster to be dognapped and accused of sheep worrying? He knew full well what he was doing.

I think what he does have is that he is reliable and persistence. He is always there, barring the one time he's on holiday, and doesn't request a move to another village where the Find Outers aren't!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I think it will take a huge racking of brains to discover any more of Goon's good points, Pete.
His best point must be becoming a policeman, albeit not a very good one.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

What about the fact that he allowed Ern to stay with him? He could have refused to accommodate Ern by pretending that he was too busy and had urgent police business to attend to, so perhaps it is a good point that he was willing to help Ern's parents (no doubt his brother and sister-in-law) by letting Ern stay with him when his mother was ill.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

He makes a great antagonist to the Find-outers.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

While Goon did have a very nasty streak, especially in his treatment of Ern and Buster, at times I nevertheless felt very sorry for him when the FFO "fed" him with false clues and generally made him look like a fool.
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Another good point - persistence. Like when he was chasing the villain in "Necklace", completely tiring himself out on his bike simply because he wouldn't give up (however hopeless the chase).

Yes, he was being taken for a ride (so to speak) but he tried hard.
DSR