Not sure where to ask... (EB & Famous Five)

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Sophia
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five, Adventure
Favourite character: Fatty, George

Not sure where to ask... (EB & Famous Five)

Post by Sophia »

I'm not sure where to ask this question... Recently I read an article that compared the Famous Five books with Enid's personal life stages... and I can't find the article back anymore. Is there anybody who even remotely knows what I am referring to, or better still, can nudge me in the right direction? :) I'm not even sure whether I read it on this site or elsewhere, but it was online, to be sure. Thanks in advance :D
Petermax

Re: Not sure where to ask... (EB & Famous Five)

Post by Petermax »

An interesting question. As far as I am aware, the only connection between Enid Blyton's personal life and the Famous Five is of course the character of George Kirrin. Enid once disclosed that she based George on herself during her younger years. I quite sure that some of our more knowledgeable Forumites can answer this question in far more detail.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I read a book called 'Looking for Enid' by Duncan Mclaren a while ago which has theories about why she wrote certain books/characters at certain times in her life. I don't know if the article was lifted from there. If I remember correctly one strong theory is that PC Goon is based on her ex husband. I seem to remember there are references to the Famous Five in there too. Particularly the relationship between George and her father and Enid's relationship with her father.

The book contains a lot of the author's own thoughts mixed with a few facts taken I believe from the Barbara Stoney biography. Also each section ends with a chapter based on the Five Find Outers investigating a crime at Enid's house written by Duncan Mclaren.

I don't know if that's of any help. Just a word of caution. If it was a film I'd suggest it had an 18 certificate in places, so a broad mind is needed before reading.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've not had the pleasure of reading it yet, but it sounds right out of Stephen Isabirye's stable. He may have touched on it in his book, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage. It might be worth while taking a look...
Society Member
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

My apologies for the late reply!! I have not found it yet either, but when I do, I shall make sure to post the link here. It was a fascinating read and I'm sorry I lost the article. I'll keep you posted!
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Yes, all of you are in one way or the other most correct. In my book, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage, I contend that The Famous Five was the greatest satire that defined Enid Blyton's character and attitude in the rapidly changing world at the time of her heyday as a writer. George may have been the tomboy Enid Blyton may have wanted to be most of her life. However, she may not have been telling nothing but the whole truth in her autobiography, The Story Of My Life, as well as in her BBC interview a decade or so later when she said that the whole of her character revolved around George. In Anne, Enid Blyton displayed her feminine characteristics of which she was obviously proud of. Despite her admiration for tomboys as displayed in the George, Jo and Henrietta characters, Enid Blyton was hardly seen in public wearing either shorts or trousers; clothings that were fast becoming fads during her latter heyday. In the Julian disposition, she saw in herself the power of a first-born of which she was in her family as well as being an authority figure as the result of this status; a quality that she had admired in her own father. Thus, it it is least surprising that on several occasions, the Julian character appears to be authoritarian and bossy. In Uncle Quentin, Enid Blyton saw in herself a very busy person that had no time for anything but her writing akin to Uncle Quentin's very busy scientific career. In summation, The Famous Five melodrama was an embodiment of Enid Blyton in her capacity as the real "Famous One" (This is what her famous literary agent, George Greenfield called her in his book, A Smattering of Monsters) who accomodated all these personas throughout her life.
Stephen Isabirye
Last edited by Enikyoga on 15 Jan 2010, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

My apologies, I got cut-off from my last internet connection, so I had no time to edit my last message I sent you on this topic.

Stephen Isabirye
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Very interesting. I wonder if Timothy had any of Enid's characteristics?
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Dick was a bit of a joker and Enid liked to play the odd practical joke herself so I suppose that is the link with Dick.
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Fascinating! I must check out your book, Stephen, thank you for replying.

Interestingly enough, the article I read touches on even yet another link with Enid's personal life, not so much the characters (though I now understand they too connect with her life), but also the different types of story developments.
The article I read, and I must recite from memory, mentioned that the first Famous Five books were happy-go-lucky adventures, having no real depth other than a good ol' story. Their later stories were deeper in "drama", tying with her divorce and personal problems in life, and later still were quite philosophical and almost spiritual. That is more along the lines of what I read...

But once again, the replies in this thread are ever so fascinating as well! :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sophia wrote: But once again, the replies in this thread are ever so fascinating as well! :D
You're not kidding there! :wink:
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Sophia wrote:Fascinating! I must check out your book, Stephen, thank you for replying.

Interestingly enough, the article I read touches on even yet another link with Enid's personal life, not so much the characters (though I now understand they too connect with her life), but also the different types of story developments.
The article I read, and I must recite from memory, mentioned that the first Famous Five books were happy-go-lucky adventures, having no real depth other than a good ol' story. Their later stories were deeper in "drama", tying with her divorce and personal problems in life, and later still were quite philosophical and almost spiritual. That is more along the lines of what I read...

But once again, the replies in this thread are ever so fascinating as well! :D
Well I've never come across this idea before.

Any genuine Famous Five aficionados see any truth in the theory?
Is Billycock Hill a cleverly worded Primal Scream for help, or a joyous outpouring of familial bliss and contentment! :shock:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Sounds a bit far-fetched to me - the first FF book was in 1942 and wasn't she divorced and safely remarried by 1943? Surely the later stories had to be more convoluted in order to be different from the earlier ones? I'm not sure that they were though . "Adventuring Again" had men with guns, didn't it? Trying to make fresh adventures for the same group can't have been easy when she was writing on demand, so to speak. As for "philosophical and almost spiritual" ... not sure where to find that.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member