Pronunciations

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Pronunciations

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

'Trotter' and 'canter' are also related words though, e.g. 'This horse is a trotter but this horse likes to canter.'
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I know — that's why I said the play on words works whether Fatty is a Trot-ville or a Trotter-ville! ;) It's just that some have pointed out that "trot" and "canter" are both in the same form — either two nouns, or two verbs in the same tense — but "trotter" is solely a noun and the equivalent, if there was one, would be "canterer". Which is an argument for suggesting that Eunice was playing on Fatty's name being pronounced Trot-ville. But I tend to side with your thought that she's also echoing the rhythm of his real name (if it does have three syllables) by turning Trot-te-ville into Can-ter-ville. I guess the only person who could have told us for sure is Enid herself, and it looks like she never did say anything about it for certain.

(Incidentally, I can't help thinking that "Canterville" sounds like Canterbury, the ancient capital of Kent, not too far from where I live. Which is, in fact, said to be the origin of the term "canter" for a horse's second-fastest gait. Apparently pilgrims riding to Canterbury Cathedral liked to keep their horses at that gait — not as fast as a full gallop, but easier for the horse to sustain over a long distance — and so it became known as the Canterbury gallop...)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 18:54It's just that some have pointed out that "trot" and "canter" are both in the same form — either two nouns, or two verbs in the same tense — but "trotter" is solely a noun and the equivalent, if there was one, would be "canterer".
That's why I pointed out (though I didn't explain things very clearly!) that 'bell' doesn't equate to 'toll' either. Just like 'canter' and 'trotter', the two words are related in meaning but they're not the same part of speech.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I liken it to actor Hugh Bonneville's name - do you pronounce that Bon-vil. John? Of course, in the interests of fairness, Bourneville chocolate is not pronounced Bourne-uh-ville!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

He was always Trott - ville to me when reading the books.
After reading everyone's helpful suggestions including the last one, now I'm none the wiser!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

I pronounced it Trot-er-ville. Mind you, I also had four syllables in Alicia, and three in Mamselle. Yes, I pronounced the last e in Mamselle, so I'm certainly not going to balk at a middle e in Trotteville. I'm surprised I didn't go for Trot-er-villy. :oops:
DSR
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I seem to recall posting about these two pronunciations a couple of years ago in another topic. Two places in Norfolk which are pronounced unlike they are spelt. The first one relates somewhat to the pronunciation of Trotteville and that is Costessey - a place on the outskirts of Norwich - and is pronounced 'Cossee'. When I first moved to this part of the country thirty-plus years ago I always pronounced it as spelt - 'Cost-ess-ee'.

The second one - Happisburgh - on the north Norfolk coast - is pronounced 'Hays-borough', rather than 'Hap-is-borough'.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Reflecting again on Nigel's post I realised I also pronounce it Trott e ville (small e )sometimes in my mind too!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Boatbuilder wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 01:38 I seem to recall posting about these two pronunciations a couple of years ago in another topic. Two places in Norfolk which are pronounced unlike they are spelt. The first one relates somewhat to the pronunciation of Trotteville and that is Costessey - a place on the outskirts of Norwich - and is pronounced 'Cossee'. When I first moved to this part of the country thirty-plus years ago I always pronounced it as spelt - 'Cost-ess-ee'.

The second one - Happisburgh - on the north Norfolk coast - is pronounced 'Hays-borough', rather than 'Hap-is-borough'.
Not to mention Norwich! :wink: I've never forgotten how some years ago, an academic friend of mine in the US did an online talk on the medieval female mystic Julian of Norwich — pronouncing Norwich as "Nor-wich" throughout. A mutual friend here in England wrote to her afterwards to advise her that it in fact rhymes with "porridge".
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

dsr wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 00:19 I pronounced it Trot-er-ville. Mind you, I also had four syllables in Alicia.
I think that's right, though. Or at least, it's not wrong. It can be Ah-LEE-sha or Ah-LISS-ee-a. If it helps I used to think it was AL-iss-a, like Alice-a...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Here’s something I found earlier, though not sure it’s of any real use. :?

How to pronounce Trotteville

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Well I hope you found it helpful, John. To me it's as clear as mud. "Trot-tevil-le" indeed.
To me it has always been "Trottville", I never tried to pronounce the 'e' after the 't'.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I have always pronounced Fatty’s surname with two syllables and I always will.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm actually more confused now that I've seen that link than I was before...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Hence my comment about it being of any use. I just thought I would add a little extra spice to the discussion. :D

I’m wondered after reading it is it possibly a foreign name? :?

Society Member