What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Chrissie777 »

How wonderful :)! I will read it right away.
Thank you, Anita. You have an incredible memory.

When I look outside the window and see all this snow that we've got, I feel like reading some of the EB books set in the winter time again. Is that just me or do others feel the same? Just wondering.

BTW it also works in the hot summer months for me when I get tired of the constant heat and humidity in MA. Then I love to read "Rat-Tat-Tat" or "Tally-Ho Cottage" and all off a sudden it feels much cooler. :)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Chrissie777 wrote:Poppy, I feel the same. This one and Ring O'Bells are my two favorites in the series. I know Rubadub is considered by many forumites as a masterpiece, but still I prefer these two over Rubadub.
Yes, it is difficult to choose a favourite book of this series, because they are all up to the same excellent standard, except perhaps The Ragamuffin Mystery which I consider to be the weakest of the series: but still always an enjoyable read. The Rat-a-Tat Mystery is always a favourite once I get round to reading it - especially at this time of year. It captures the overall festivity of the Lynton-household briefly but beautifully, and the snow afterwards is a joy to read about. But yes, there are the beautiful summertime reads as you said. The Ring O'Bells Mystery is my second-favourite. I love the stories which Enid describes an old and eerie legend interwoven with a a new, modern day crime: I think it always works very well. I do love The Rubadub Mystery though, and the extremely satisfying plot leading up the reunion of Barney and his father, but by a small chalk, the other two are more enjoyable for me.
Chrissie777 wrote:Poppy, I wonder how many Christmas and winter books do exist in the suspenseful series of EB books?
There are quite a few. You'll see a good idea on that Christmas Book Thread. Tomorrow, for my Blog, I will be reviewing an Enid Blyton Christmas book, as part of my 'Christmas Book Advent Calendar'. In fact, I've got several Blyton Christmas-books lined up to review.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Poppy wrote: There are quite a few. You'll see a good idea on that Christmas Book Thread. Tomorrow, for my Blog, I will be reviewing an Enid Blyton Christmas book, as part of my 'Christmas Book Advent Calendar'. In fact, I've got several Blyton Christmas-books lined up to review.
I just clicked on your blog link and the on "Follow", so I should be able to read it on a regular basis from now on. I enjoyed your reviews of the Adventurous Four.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks very much, Chrissie! I hope you enjoy the upcoming posts. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

"Enid Blyton's Book Of Brownies". One of my favourite books by Blyton, and indeed, one of my favourite books of all time. One thing I'd never realised before finding this site is just how early in Enid's career it was written, and yet reading it now it seems such a mature book.

Although it's a little episodic, it seems very well plotted with lot's of different details linking the various escapades together (such as the ointments for making thing's small or bigger and the Red Goblin mentioned in one chapter reappearing in the next), and it's so fantastically inventive.

Some of the imagery is just as surreal as that in Lewis Carroll's 'Alice' books, and yet while they are (quite rightly) lauded by critics as children's classics, the same people would turn their nose up at "Book Of Brownies", purely bacause it's Blyton. It's a shame it doesn't get the recognition that in my view it deserves.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That book had me spellbound as a child. In particular I was intrigued by the bottles of goodness, the toffee tower and the absurd Land of Clever People.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

I've just started reading "Circus Of Adventure", and I'm enjoying it enormously. I love Gussy, he's a fantastic character, and all the political intrigue is great. It's so cleverly pitched by Enid too. As an adult reading it, there are a lot of unrealistic details (not least the fact there's no such country as Tauri-Hessia) but to a child it's all very exciting and 'grown-up'. What a great writer she really was.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I just love Circus.
I think I was about 9 or 10 when I first read it and I never even gave any thought/bother to Tauri Hessia not being real or anything. It seemed an amazing country to me - I always imagined it to be a Romania/Hungary type country and loved the descriptions of the peasants in their bright clothes (especially the girls in their full skirts and ribbons in their hair - that seemed gorgeous to a little girl who loved dressing up!) and the 'fretworky' wooden designs of the houses.

Gussy is a wonderful character.
I love his dealings with Kiki.

"It spiks! It spiks words!"
"The Kiki-bird, he spits in my ear, he goes pop!"
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm another Circus fan - I only discovered it as an adult (read: a couple of months ago... well, I think I was an adult then), but no, I wasn't bothered about the make-believe location either. It's a gloriously exciting story with some great characters (including Gussy) and plenty of thrilling escapades, and I agree that the political intrigue gives it an extra edge of suspense. For me it's one of the best of the Adventure series, which is to say, one of the best of the best as far as Enid's books are concerned! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

Couldn't agree more Courtenay. I've always ranked "Circus" just below "Ship" of all the 'Adventure' books but after this most recent re-read it might sneak into top spot.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Circus is certainly up there with my favourite Adventure books, along with Sea. The one thing I feel lets Circus down (and its a very small thing really) is how Kiki scares the guards away at the end - I'm sure Enid could have come up with something a little more imaginative. But apart from that it's definitely a great read. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Finished Snowball the Pony today. I hope to finish "A week with Simple Simon" tomorrow.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

currently rereading 'Rat-a-tat mystery' - a good winter read. Although it's not one of my most favourite in the series it's still good - and the story idea is thrilling...though I never feel Enid develops it to it's full potential.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I will shortly be settling down with The Secret Seven, the first in the series for an hour or so. You can't beat a bit of snow on Christmas Eve.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

You'll read it in an hour John!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member