Teachers World Letters 1943

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Teachers World 1943

Post by Courtenay »

Boatbuilder wrote: 09 Nov 2022, 11:46
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 09 Nov 2022, 09:55 Imogen has been given two white mice for her eighth birthday, Mr. Bubble and Mrs. Squeak (heh - if they're "married" you'd think they'd have the same surname! :wink: )
Maybe they were already married to Mrs Bubble & Mr Squeak and we’re co-habiting. ;)
Gasp... we can't have THAT in an Enid Blyton story. :shock: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enid Blyton is enjoying the holly berries and the fungi and hoping that the coming Christmas might be the last wartime one, though we know that there was another wartime Christmas to come in 1944. We're reminded of some of the things children are missing out on during the war, including sweets of all kinds, bananas and fireworks.

There's some sad news for Imogen but also a treat for her and Gillian - a trip to London to see My Friend Flicka (at "the flicks"!) It's lovely to know that Imogen was such a great animal-lover.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1981
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Had to smile at Enid's remark "Don't suck your fingers after carrying them, (the toadstools). Health and safety 1940s style!
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Enid Blyton mentions in her column that a snail forms a hard seal over the entrance to its shell during the winter. That's something I didn't know until I was an adult, but I've seen it for myself and find it fascinating. Heh - I wonder if the story about Imogen bringing hibernating snails inside so that they "all woke up and went crawling round the walls" is true!

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1982

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Enid Blyton is busy with hens and kittens but has found time to begin a new book "about children going off to live on an island again". I suppose Five Run Away Together is the most likely contender as the children in The Island of Adventure don't actually live on the Isle of Gloom.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1983

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I enjoyed Enid's letter but noted that her hope that Christmas 1943 would be the last wartime one was not fulfilled. With regard to her hens, although it is several years since I had hens, I seem to remember that at certain times of the year they laid very little, usually when they were moulting. By the way, in recent weeks I have found it difficult to read the extracts from "Teachers' World" perhaps due to the pale font colour. Is it just me or has anybody else had a similar experience? In order to read today's extract I had to put on the extra strong glasses that I use for calligraphy work!
Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

I can read it well enough by enlarging it.

Instead of saying she was writing a new book she could have said that the first of a major new series was about to hit the shops!
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Splodj!
I'm pretty computer illiterate (despite working with the things for close on 30 years) but did try to enlarge the text using the zoom function, which worked fine but then I had to go back and reduce the size again as the fonts in other sections were HUGE!!!
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Monique, My eyesight is near perfect (with my reading glasses) but some of the print on the copies is very difficult to read at standard (100%) magnification. I have to increase the magnification on my screen to read them, as Splodj obviously does. Unfortunately this is probably due to the age of the documents that have been scanned/copied along with the quality of the printing in those days - possibly letterpress rather than litho or gravure which are better quality and which are probably used for most publicatons today. I can read the forum posts on these pages comfortably at 70%, although I normally do have the magnification set to 100%.

I've just read your subsequent post, Monique, and that business of having HUGE print when you change pages is just one of the things you have to deal with as and when. I find the same if I have had cause to enlarge something really small. At least with the CTRL key and the mouse wheel it's easy enough to zoom in and out. I'm not sure what you use if you are on a laptop with a mouse pad though as I haven't used a laptop for quite a few years now.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks John,

you have reassured me that it is not my eyes or my computer (I don't have a laptop) that is at fault, which is a relief! Other than that I have absolutely no problem reading the forums with my ordinary reading glasses, which I have needed since my vision started to deteriorate about 15 years ago, probably as a result of working on the computer so much.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I must admit I have to enlarge the pages to read them properly even when the type isn't faint!

It's interesting that Enid says the last of their kittens "is going to the children's Granny, so we shall still see it sometimes." Gillian and Imogen didn't even know that their maternal grandmother was still alive, so Enid can't have been talking about her. If Hugh's mother was still alive, I believe she lived in Scotland. Is it likely that the kitten would be sent so far away, especially as neither Enid nor her children were in contact with Hugh himself? Maybe Mabel Attenborough had become a sort of "Granny" to the girls - or even Kenneth's mother?

We're reminded of wartime rationing when we read of the sugar roses used on Imogen's birthday cake being taken off and saved for the Christmas cake.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1984

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I have to enlarge the print of these columns too, but I'm so grateful to be able to read these nearly 80 year old pieces, they are such a joy.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I agree that they're a joy, Kate. Thanks very much, Tony, for adding these wonderful letters to the Cave.

Enid Blyton is writing on an unusually warm winter's day, saying, "I could almost sit out on my verandah." Brrr - she wouldn't be thinking that if she were here today!

Like Enid, I enjoy looking at the shapes the tree branches make against pale winter skies. I didn't know what laurestinus was but, thanks to the internet, I was able to bring up pictures of it immediately.

Eight-year-old Imogen is recovering from the flu and has been doing a lot of reading. According to Enid, she said, "Mummy, why don't you write hundreds more books for children? You don't write nearly enough. You've only written about a hundred, and that's not enough for a child to read. Can't you write a thousand?" Enid feels that "I shall never be able to write a thousand, I'm afraid, not even to please Imogen." She certainly produced a lot more than most authors though!

Very sad news about the pigeons. They probably weren't getting an adequate diet to sustain them over the winter as Enid was having trouble buying grain for them because of the war. It's terrible to think of the many, many pets that must have suffered. As Enid comments, "It is so difficult to keep pets now."

Heh - I like Bobs' letter about trying to keep his tail hidden from the kitten, which has a habit of pouncing on it, only to have it hop out from under him and wag itself when someone says, "Good dog, Bobs!", or when his dinner is ready, or when he hears that Imogen is getting better. Poor Bobs! (In reality, of course, Bobs had died years earlier, in 1935!)

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1985

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Enid Blyton is keen to keep her readers' spirits up during wartime, saying, "We cannot crush this feeling of happiness and goodwill at Christmas time, even in the midst of a war, and we certainly must not. We will give joy to one another as much as we can, and remember the old and the sick just as we always do."

Gillian has come home early from school to try to avoid catching flu or chicken-pox, which have both broken out there.

Sadly, the tits in the garden have had to go without coconuts for a few years - just as children have had to go without bananas. And the sweep hasn't been to sweep the chimney either, which I expect is also because of the war.

It's interesting to see the reviews of children's books which are on the same page as Enid Blyton's column. Many of them sound like stories for very young children and I can't say I'm familiar with any of them. It's a testament to Enid Blyton's talent as a storyteller that many of her books (though not as many as I'd like!) are still available in the shops for today's youngsters to buy.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... perid=1986

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Enjoyable letters as always, although I'm surprised Enid describes a robin's song as a "rich carol" — and somewhere else (possibly The Christmas Book, which I recently re-read) I've seen her describe the robin's song as "creamy". I love hearing robins sing too, but to me their song sounds rather high and thin, particularly compared to a blackbird's song. It's a lovely sound, but definitely not one that I'd use words like "rich" and "creamy" for!! However, each to their own, I guess...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)