Trying to find a story!

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
angelsackiz

Trying to find a story!

Post by angelsackiz »

Hello all,
I'm so glad I came upon this website! There is a story I am trying to trace by Enid Blyton.

It was about a boy and a girl who ended up on a boat with a cat and a dog at each end, made of wood. They ended up having to perform impossible tasks. Only one i remember is cutting grass with blunt scissors but some rabbits helped.

I have been trying to find it for years! Can anyone help me find the book it belongs to? I think it's fireside tales but the story titles don't ring a bell for me.

Thank you in advance!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Trying to find a story!

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Angelsackiz! The story you're looking for is 'The Enchanted Sea' and you're right that it appears in Fireside Tales published by Collins:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... side+Tales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is another Enid Blyton book called Fireside Tales, published by Purnell, but that has different stories.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I read that story just a couple of nights ago. It was also printed in 2017 in Summer Holiday Stories. :D

Of course that version may have been slightly modernised, but I don't think I have the original to compare it with.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

When anyone posts a request to find a lost story I always then want to read the story myself!

You can read an except from The Boys & Girls Story Book which contains this story here:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... =16&t=8403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I'm surprised how often I read books by well-known Australian writers which contain references to having read Enid Blyton in childhood. The latest is in a book called 'Telltale' by Carmel Bird, a memoir of being 'trapped' by COVID in her extensive library and writing about her favourite books. To qualify for inclusion the books she writes about must be still present on her shelves. She mentions a book which is not on her shelves which she believes is by Enid Blyton and which contains a story about a goblin who wears odd socks and is ashamed when he has to take off his shoes. Any ideas about the title of the book or the title of the story? She thought the book's title was 'The Red Fairy' (but realizes that there is no such book).
Society Member