60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine - 1959

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine - 1959

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks very much for the interesting write-up, Rob - and for the scans, Tony.
Kate Mary wrote:I find A Dog Called Timmy an ingenious story, Enid knew her readers so well through all the letters they sent her and she was aware that some of them set up their own Famous Five clubs so it's quite a clever story.
I agree, Kate. Enid based quite a few of her magazine stories on letters sent in by readers and it must have made them feel that she truly understood their world and valued their contributions.

I'm struck by the following paragraph from 'A Dog Called Timmy':
Mother didn't know very much about the Famous Five. She dusted the tops of the Five books in the children's bookcase each morning and that's all she knew about them!
The first sentence reminds me of my own childhood. I knew my parents had trouble understanding why Enid Blyton was so important to me and that they would never realise the extent to which her books shaped and enriched my life. All the characters and places that seemed incredibly real to me were virtually unknown to them.

The second sentence makes me laugh. The children's mother dusts their books every single morning? :!: Crumbs - she'd be better off putting the duster down every so often and reading the books instead of merely cleaning them obsessively!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: The second sentence makes me laugh. The children's mother dusts their books every single morning? :!: Crumbs - she'd be better off putting the duster down every so often and reading the books instead of merely cleaning them obsessively!
:lol: I thought the same! I also thought 'you can tell from this that Enid didn't do much dusting herself!' I'm sure if she had she would never have suggested it was done 'every day' - unless you have a maid to do it for you! ;-) :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Well, here we are at 'that' week - the final ever issue of Enid Blyton's Magazine. I can only imagine how the children must have felt. They missed the magazine all through the summer - probably wondering if it had finished - and then - just as school starts again, they are treated to the next issue! Hurrah! the Magazine hasn't finished after all! Then they open it and begin to read, and realise, with a shock maybe, that this is indeed the last ever issue! Dark winter nights, school, lessons, and no ENid Blyton Magazine!

Here's the last issue -

The cover shows an illustration from the title story, A Dog Called Timmy - which is part two - the concluding part - of a long short story started in the last issue. I wonder if any children had to reread the first part? Anyway - hopefully it will be available to read shortly, by following the link.

Enid's Editorial Letter' gives details of why Enid is ending the magazine, and also suggests keeping in touch. She mentions the printer's strike, which prevented the magazine from being printed through out the summer, then goes on to explain how the magazine is a very big job for her, as she writes everything in it, and makes the excuse that if she gives up the magazine she will be able to do other things - such as the Noddy Pantomime, Noddy TV show, etc, as well as records and overseas programmes. She also lays some of the 'blame' on her husband who is 'now retired' and 'naturally wants me to go about with him a good deal and share the things he loves so much - his farm in Dorset, golf, and travelling here and there about the world'. She seems to paint quite an exciting picture...but I'm not sure her life hereafter was quite so full of delights as she imagines.

Enid finishes her letter by explaining that she is going to finish the Secret Seven series off with 'two chapters' (actually its three) and also says ' The Bom story, I fear, will have to come to a sudden end - but the Bom book will soon be in the shops, and you will be able to read it there!'

After the cover story, we have an uncollected Noddy story - What A Good Idea, Noddy! - featuring Mr Wobbly-man and Mrs Golly - who, rather unfortunately, wears what appears to be a grass skirt in the uncredited illustrations! Its all about how poor Mr Wobbly-man gets stuck in 'narrow alley' and how Noddy manages to pull him out! No prizes for guessing how he achieves it! It makes quite a refreshing change that Noddy acts intelligently in this story, rather than being completely silly!

Next, we have the final part of The Goblin Shop - and the fact it is the final part makes me wonder how Enid managed to time the last issue with the last installment of this rhyming story. It seems a remarkable coincidence - but there can really be no other answer for it than that!

This is quite an unusual issue of the Magazine - because Enid does manage to tie most things up very neatly - including the end of Bonfire Night For the Secret Seven. To do this, she includes the last three chapters in this issue - although strangely she fits them all into one chapter. In the 'Editorial' Enid actually suggests she is including 'two chapters instead of one' but in actual fact the book splits this episode into three chapters rather than two. So in the magazine, the story appears to have only 18 chapters, and ends with 'Jack Has A Sudden Idea' - while the novel continues with two more chapters - though the story is exactly the same.

There are a couple of really good illustrations accompanying the magazine version of the story - they are fairly good quality for Burgess Sharrocks! Unfortunately the novel omits one of them altogether and gives us a slightly different version of the other, where the baddie is attacking Scamper with a shovel. The Magazine version is much better drawn!

After all those chapters squeezed into one, there's no room for much else, except a page that says 'IMPORTANT! Be sure to keep these pages - club information and addresses' and then goes on to give details of addresses for The Famous Five Club, The Busy Bees, The Sunbeam Society and - believe it or not - The Magazine Club...even though there will be no magazine!

You can view details of the magazine by following the link -

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/mag ... ?magid=965
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Hurrah! We have the final issue available online, a belated thank you Rob for the review and grateful thanks to Tony of course, for the scans, you must be snowed under with work on the Journal, I'm glad to be able read the stories at last. I had almost given up checking. Now I must go back and read part one of A Dog Called Timmy again...
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I too am extremely grateful to Tony & Rob for this excellent material.
Thank you both very much!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks very much, Rob and Tony! It's interesting to see Enid Blyton's use of a brand name - Lux - in 'A Dog Called Timmy'. Lux soap flakes and cakes of soap were still available when I was a child (1970s) but I don't think I've seen them in recent years. I'm reminded of The Boy Next Door in which Enid refers to Vim (the scouring powder). Vim was also still around when I was a child, but again I haven't seen it for many years now.

Children who took Enid Blyton's Magazine regularly must have been devastated to learn that it was closing. It brought youngsters together, inspired them and gave them a sense of purpose. How sad to have to say goodbye to it.

By the way, Tony meant to scan a few more pages of the magazine but computer problems struck and he was unable to continue. It looks as though he's going to be offline for a while, sadly.

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks very much, Rob and Tony! It's interesting to see Enid Blyton's use of a brand name - Lux - in 'A Dog Called Timmy'. Lux soap flakes and cakes of soap were still available when I was a child (1970s) but I don't think I've seen them in recent years. I'm reminded of The Boy Next Door in which Enid refers to Vim (the scouring powder). Vim was also still around when I was a child, but again I haven't seen it for many years now.
Lux Soap Flakes were discontinued in 2001, Anita. However, you can still find Vim scouring powder listed at Amazon.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Cheers, John (Boatbuilder)!

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Sad to hear about Tony's pc problems Anita.
With all the pc brainpower on these forums surely we can do something to help him?

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

A new computer, maybe? :D

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I think Tony is/was on Windows XP so helping him may be slightly trickier than that seemingly very simple solution.

I wish I lived nearer - I'm sure I could pop in and help get him back online again. :cry:
Tony Summerfield wrote: Life is permanently exciting and challenging with Windows XP -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Unfortunately Tony may well have to take the plunge and buy a new computer, though some of the programs he has been using with Windows XP will not be compatible with Windows 10 - and it's possible that his printer and scanner won't be compatible either. It looks as though it's going to take some time for him to get back online and be able to carry out his usual tasks!

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

That's a shame Anita - I'm sure there are a few ways to keep Tony going on XP or a machine running virtual XP.
Even a machine with windows 7 could be slightly safer to use online and still be compatible with Tony's programs.

There must be a way we could help him - any pc guru's passing Salisbury in the near future?
Tony does so much for us, it would be great to give him a bit of technical assistance???

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Even Windows 7 isn’t always compatible with some programs that run on XP. It depends if the program was originally written for XP or if it was an even earlier version.

For example, I have an old Canon scanner that I originally ran on an earlier version of Windows, possibly ME. I ran it with Vista but Canon stopped producing drivers for it after XP, so if I need to use that scanner which I used mainly for scanning 35mm negatives and colour slides, I have to connect it up to an old XP laptop which I still have.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I always thought that drivers for Vista should work for Windows 7 as well, they use the same driver concept. But of course I can't check it out, I never used Vista.
Windows 7 will also have security issues from next year on, so it's not necessarily a good idea to switch to that system. I suppose that Windows XP can deal with drivers from Windows 98 on as it was supposed to unite Home systems (Windows 9x) with professional systems (Windows NT).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.