60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine - 1959

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine - 1959

Post by Rob Houghton »

Another fortnight gone by - although I was a bit late last time and a bit earlier this time. The next magazine is 6 - 19 May 1959 - and so we are a couple of days early! ;-)

Here it is -

The cover shows an illustration from the uncollected short story It Happened So Suddenly! - a 'Safety First' story. The illustrator for this story is uncredited - but I generally like the style. The internal illustrations that accompany the story are well drawn and very much of their era, but the cover illustration is badly 'staged' with some poor perspective, and people drawn out of proportion - though it works okay as a whole until you look more closely. The little girl and the pram look almost flat - while the woman bending over them looks like a giant. Its an odd illustration!

But the story is a good one - based on a true story, as far as I can tell - from a newspaper cutting. I thought it was particularly good at portraying the horror Paul felt, and shows us how well Enid was able to get into the mindset of her child readers. The way Paul reacts - panicking and worried and fearing the worst - is just how I would have reacted in a similar situation. I would probably have run away like Pal, too - even though I feel ashamed to admit it. You can read the story by following the link below. Sadly, its the only uncollected short story in this week's issue.

I've been trying to work out why this issue only has one short story, plus the two continuing serials. It has the same number of pages, and yet the last issue had two short stories. I guess the extra pages were taken up by a Safety First information page about traffic lights, a painting competition, a picture crossword and several other bits and pieces - but this issue certainly seems less value for money than the last one.

In Enid's Editorial Letter we hear as usual about the animal life at Green Hedges - and also that Enid is about to embark on another holiday to Dorset. This is interesting to me, given that the magazine had only two more issues to go until the printer's strike. One would imagine that usually Enid would be two or three issues ahead, at least...and yet she seems not to have been, given that there are two more, then a break until the last issue in September. I would have thought she would already have written the contents to any other magazines to cover the two weeks or more that she would be in Dorset. Maybe that was all she wrote.

Enid also tells us about how she recorded 'some stories 'on HMV gramophone records'. I presume, from Enid's description, that these are the Noddy stories, containing songs that had appeared in the Noddy Pantomime. Enid describes how she sat in a booth and recorded these stories, sound effects etc being added later. Reading between the lines, I wonder if Enid had found the routine a bit troublesome - and maybe had even made a fe mistakes - as she tells us the 'first time' she did it she had to stop every time a red light came on and wait while music was played etc...but the second time she was able to just read the story all the way through without stopping, and they would add music and sound effects afterwards - which sounds more sensible. I can imagine her not stopping when the red light came on, and having to record things again and again because she hadn't noticed the red light...so maybe the manufacturers decided it was better to let her just read them all the way through instead! ;-)

After It Happened So Suddenly! we have a nice painting competition page - showing Dick Whittington and his cat. The past owner of my magazine has coloured it in with blue Biro, Green Biro and a pink pencil crayon. I don't think they had any other colours by the look of it! Then we have Bonfire Night for the Secret Seven - chapter 15 - and a rather nice Burgess Sharrocks illustration. Its fairly unusual to see all the Secret Seven 'from a distance' so to speak, so it makes a pleasant change. Pity it wasn't used in the book though.

Here's the magazine illustration -

And the illustrations for this chapter as used in the book -

All three illustrations aren't too bad, for Sharrocks - although I like the first and third illustrations best. :-D

After the next instalment of The Goblin Shop which can be read by following the link, and a picture crossword, we have Police Signals and Traffic Light signals - STOP!' - which can also be viewed by following the link, thanks to Tony for scanning these. Then we have chapter 20 of The Ragamuffin Mystery. Again, this story has two illustrations...a sign that the magazine was distinctly lacking in content, maybe, and so space needed to be filled. Both of these appear in the book version as well as the magazine. I like the first one - a typically 'Blytonian' picture of the gang searching a secret passage with a torch.

And so this issue comes to a close - with the usual Puzzle Page - which can be read by following the link, and also the Letters Page, which shows mainly letters about fund raising for the Spastic Centre. :-D

Lastly, an advert for two of Enid's books - Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm and Six Cousins Again I found the advertisers description rather amusing, as it doesn't really do these two books justice. It reads - In the first of these books a trio of town cousins goes to stay with three country cousins on their farm. In the second book the town cousins have a farm of their own. Each story is full of excitement and adventure! What a pedestrian description of two of Enid's finest, most enthralling and entertaining novels!

Until next time - here's the link!

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/mag ... ?magid=962

:D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks as always, Rob and Tony. "It Happened So Suddenly!" was a really suspenseful and quite wrenching story — I was certainly wondering what would happen and was quite surprised at the ending. As you say, Rob, Enid really knows how to get into a child's thoughts and feelings. Definitely a memorable lesson for young readers on why "safety first" and the road rules are so, so important!

I've been to Poole Harbour once, some years ago (and had a boat trip to Brownsea Island!), so I like Enid's description of "the enormous stretch of water in Poole Harbour — the second largest in the world!" (You all do know what the largest harbour in the world is, don't you?? :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I like the illustration from The Ragamuffin Mystery too, Rob, and I enjoyed the puzzles as always. Many thanks to you and Tony for the write-up and scans.
Rob Houghton wrote:...the story ['It Happened So Suddenly!'] is a good one - based on a true story, as far as I can tell - from a newspaper cutting. I thought it was particularly good at portraying the horror Paul felt, and shows us how well Enid was able to get into the mindset of her child readers. The way Paul reacts - panicking and worried and fearing the worst - is just how I would have reacted in a similar situation. I would probably have run away like Pal, too - even though I feel ashamed to admit it.
An excellent story, written with feeling. I've always loved Enid Blyton's darker tales. Miss Brown's words of warning to Paul - "If you don't learn things the right way, you'll have to learn them the wrong way" - make me shiver.
Rob Houghton wrote:Lastly, an advert for two of Enid's books - Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm and Six Cousins Again I found the advertisers description rather amusing, as it doesn't really do these two books justice. It reads - In the first of these books a trio of town cousins goes to stay with three country cousins on their farm. In the second book the town cousins have a farm of their own. Each story is full of excitement and adventure! What a pedestrian description of two of Enid's finest, most enthralling and entertaining novels!
I agree! The two Six Cousins books contain some of Enid Blyton's finest writing and benefit from well-drawn adult characters. There's drama and emotion in abundance and Enid deals with some quite sensitive issues.
Courtenay wrote:I've been to Poole Harbour once, some years ago (and had a boat trip to Brownsea Island!), so I like Enid's description of "the enormous stretch of water in Poole Harbour — the second largest in the world!" (You all do know what the largest harbour in the world is, don't you?? :wink: )
Yup! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Thank you for your review Rob. I found 'It Happened So Suddenly!' quite a powerful little story, it certainly rammed home the road safety message. It's interesting to read of Enid's experiences in the recording studio, I see from the Cave that the first Noddy recordings were on old 78 rpm records but this letter must refer to the 45 rpm EPs that came out in 1959, Noddy's Car and Noddy On His Travels. Has anyone heard them? Thanks to Tony for adding the story to the Cave.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Kate Mary wrote:It's interesting to read of Enid's experiences in the recording studio, I see from the Cave that the first Noddy recordings were on old 78 rpm records but this letter must refer to the 45 rpm EPs that came out in 1959, Noddy's Car and Noddy On His Travels. Has anyone heard them?
I only have the earlier two records, made in 1958 - both 45 rpm. I was quite surprised to find (from seeing them on eBay!) that these were also released as 78 rpm records, because by 1958 this type of record was quickly going out of use. I guess as with everything there has always been that transition period in between. I have 45 rpm versions, as in The Cave, of 'Noddy Stories' and 'Noddy Stories part 2'. But sadly I don't have the two 1959 records.

EDIT - I have now checked up about the 78 rpm records in The Cave and see they were first published in 1953 not 1958 as I had supposed. This I find a bit confusing, and seems to suggest that the songs for the Noddy Pantomime - which premiered in 1957 - were actually already written by 1953, as they are heavily featured in these recordings. Intriguing! I wonder if Enid had planned to stage The Noddy Pantomime much earlier than she eventually did? :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have a confession to make! :oops: When I was scanning 'It Happened So Suddenly!' I kept thinking that I had seen the story before, but I couldn't think where and thought I must be thinking of a similar story, but if I had used it before I was sure somebody would point it out.

Nobody pointed out that this story was in Journal 62 - for some strange reason I had chosen this title from a story in Volume 3 of Enid Blyton's Magazine and then accidentally scanned the story of the same title from Volume 7. I am not sure what this says about Journal readers or those that read this thread, but I am pretty sure that it telling me yet again that it was time I was put out to grass!! :cry:
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have a confession to make! :oops: When I was scanning 'It Happened So Suddenly!' I kept thinking that I had seen the story before, but I couldn't think where and thought I must be thinking of a similar story, but if I had used it before I was sure somebody would point it out.

Nobody pointed out that this story was in Journal 62 - for some strange reason I had chosen this title from a story in Volume 3 of Enid Blyton's Magazine and then accidentally scanned the story of the same title from Volume 7. I am not sure what this says about Journal readers or those that read this thread, but I am pretty sure that it telling me yet again that it was time I was put out to grass!! :cry:
To be honest, I thought the story seemed familiar...but then again, so many Blyton stories seem familiar as she reworked the same plot several times throughout her career, so I just thought I'd read similar ones! :oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

I thought the story was familiar as well but like Rob I thought it was one I'd read on a similar theme. You're not ready to be put out to grass yet Tony it's so confusing to have two stories with the same title. Perhaps we can have the other one in the next Journal?
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Here we are again with issue No 10 Vol 7 - May 20 - June 2 1959. Hard to believe that after this issue - which is, in my view, one of the best of the 1959 issues - we only have another two Enid Blyton Magazines to look through this year!

This issue really is a 'bumper issue' - packed with two uncollected short stories, plus the usual serials, puzzles and letters and features. The cover shows an illustration from the first uncollected short story Mr Stamp-About In Trouble - another story about that angry character who featured in several EB short stories. This is a strong story, I thought - very enjoyable, and not really easy to predict the outcome, though it feels obvious once we reach it! I enjoyed it a lot. One thing that struck me is that it would probably not be written nowadays, as it revolves around smoking a cigarette! It is still quite a topical story however, as it also revolves around throwing down litter. The illustrations, which are sadly uncredited, are also very good, with some nice characterisation - especially of Stamp-About's house keeper.

Enid's Editorial Letter follows, and in it Enid waxes lyrical about the sights and sounds of May - with its 'miles of golden gorse' - presumably she is away in Dorset still. She also talks about the amazing 'Grand Spring Term Competition' of children's handiwork etc, and announces the winners. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this was to judge...and even the results don't sound very fair or even - a story winning one prize, a dress winning another prize, a puppet winning another. How on earth are these things judged against a poem or a story or a painting? Anyway, Enid announces that the Summer Term' competition is now open, so they obviously planned to do it all over again. Not sure who won the Summer Competition though, as no results are mentioned even in the last issue in September.

Following on from the first short story we continue with The Ragamuffin Mystery and chapter 21 - the last chapter. As usual, it has the same illustrations in the magazine version as the novel version - with one exception. The novel gives us an extra illustration, not included in the magazine. I presume this was in order to fill out the required page numbers, as generally the story is much shorter than the others in the series. It is also printed in bigger font than the other five books.

The extra illustration not in the magazine is one of the best in my opinion! -

After a page of results for the Spring Term Competition, we have the next instalment of The Goblin Shop. I find it quite interesting that this picture-strip seems to be timed perfectly to finish with the final magazine in September. That seems quite a coincidence, given that the strip was previously published in Sunny Stories in 1937 and this re-illustrated version in EB's Magazine seems to be the exact same length. At first I thought maybe some sections had been edited, maybe proving that Enid knew of the ending of her magazine a while before she announced it...but I can't see any evidence of that by comparing the earlier version.

After this we have the next uncollected short story - and really I think Enid surpasses herself in this issue because both of them are gems, in my view. This second story is called A Little Bit of Plasticine! and is a really enjoyable short story. Of course, it does make me realise how intensive education has become these days - imagine children taking their own handiwork into school to show the teacher, and completing it during school hours?! In fact - imagine children HAVING any handiwork to take into school! When I was a child we always had some project on the go at home - making flying birds, or games, or doll's houses from cardboard boxes, or puppet theatres or comics or models - but I wonder how many children these days ever do anything creative outside of school? Some, I am sure, but many wouldn't do anything like what is described in this story.

How nice to have an afternoon of art and craft. Again - something no school children in 2019 would have experienced. We would regularly do clay, or balsa wood modelling, or sewing or painting each afternoon. How lucky we were! Children now have learned to see school as one long academic SLOG - even in junior school...and I don't think it's made those children any more clever - just more stressed and anxious.

Next we have the Puzzle Page - which you can have a go of yourselves by following the link, as always. :-D

Then we have Bonfire Night For the Secret Seven - chapter 16 - as things start 'boiling up' as Enid is apt to say! Sadly, there's no illustration in this week's chapter.

A glance at Our Letter Page this week reveals three letters from Enid Blyton fans from all the corners of the world...sort of! - Janet Hart, from RAF Changi, Singapore, Sally Pemble, from Ahmadi, Kuwait, and denise Walker from Takaka, Nelson, New Zealand - who tells of her trip to see the pantomime Noddy In Toyland - which has now crossed the ocean to N.Z... :-)

As Tony's scans show when you follow the link, Enid was promoting Plasticine in her short story, and there's an advert for a Noddy Plasticine set in this issue too...! :-)

here's the link to this week's excellent short stories -

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/mag ... ?magid=963

Until next issue!
:D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

A good pair of stories in this issue, Enid is on top form but I can't imagine Mr Stamp About in Trouble ever being reprinted with smoking being mentioned. A Little Bit of Plasticine is a sweet story and I had to smile seeing the advert for Plasticine immediately after it.

Just two more issues to go. Please don't make us wait until September for the final 'number' Rob. As the last story is in two parts why do them both together as a final flourish? It has been great fun reading these reviews and stories over the last few years, thank you.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you Kate Mary - and many thanks for your comments over the years and for sticking with this thread! Its good to know you have enjoyed the 'journey' - as have I!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I thoroughly enjoyed 'Mr Stamp-About in Trouble' and 'A Little Bit of Plasticine!' Both are strong stories as you say, Rob. They take us back to days gone by but are still as relevant as ever when it comes to inspiring, teaching and entertaining.
Rob Houghton wrote:Enid's Editorial Letter follows... She also talks about the amazing 'Grand Spring Term Competition' of children's handiwork etc, and announces the winners. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this was to judge...and even the results don't sound very fair or even - a story winning one prize, a dress winning another prize, a puppet winning another. How on earth are these things judged against a poem or a story or a painting?
It must have been incredibly difficult to compare the entries but I suppose the judges were looking chiefly for outstanding talent and ingenuity. It's wonderful that competitors were given total freedom and could use their imaginations and make the most of their abilities and interests.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Another fortnight gone by, and another issue of Enid Blyton's Magazine pops through the letterbox! ;-) I find it interesting that this is the penultimate issue...and yet none of the many readers would have known this. Its kind of sad to think they would be without another issue until September, and then discover it was the very last one - ever! :-(

Meanwhile,here's the latest June 3 - 16 1959 issue -

The cover is by Marjorie L Davies and shows a scene from the main uncollected short story of this issue (and the next as its a two-parter!) A Dog Called Timmy. Its an interesting tale, on the surface at least, as its all about a group of children who decide, as many did back in the 1950's, to form their own Famous Five club. Its a shameless self-promotion on Enid's part - as the children even adopt the names of The Famous Five, talk about 'the books' frequently, and then wish they had a dog called Timmy to complete the Five. Its quite novel and entertaining, for the first page or so - but then Enid seems to get a bit bogged down in the appearance of 'Timmy' and the children's reaction to him. This takes up far too many pages, in my view - and then the story comes to a close - or rather, the first half does, somewhat disappointingly, in my view.

The second half continues in the last issue - September 9th 1959. I've thought long an hard regards what to do about this, but I have decided to leave off my review of the last issue until September - because my idea when starting these threads was to replicate the feelings children would have had, waiting a fortnight for each new issue - and now they had to wait three months for the next one - and its only fair that we must wait too! Of course, if you happen to have the final issue of Enid Blyton's magazine, you can cheat, and read the full story - but I won't be reviewing it until September.

Enid's Editorial Letter can be read by following the link as always - many thanks to Tony - and also many thanks to Tony for agreeing not to 'publish' the last Journal contents until September! ;-) ). In it, Enid tells us, as always, about June at Green Hedges - the sights and sounds of summer. She tells of 'her' cuckoo calling, of the wild roses blooming everywhere, and the young birds that are appearing.

Enid goes on to tell us of some news about the 'Famous Five Special' - which was published in 1959 - the only year when a new Famous Five book wasn't published. The title was chosen by several readers and all will get a prize - either a Famous Five book of their choice, or a copy of The Famous Five Special when it's published. I have the 'Special' and its well worth having. In fact, it was the first place I ever read Five Go Off In A Caravan, Five Go Off To Camp, and Five Have A Wonderful Time! And that's where things become interesting...because the three books Enid tells us had the 'most votes' were Five On A Treasure Island, Five Go To Smuggler's Top, and Five On A Secret Trail! I wonder what the prize winners thought when they finally received a copy and discovered it contained three different Famous Five adventures?

personally, I think the three that did eventually appear in the Special are a much better collection than the three the children chose - particularly since they chose Secret Trail - one of the weakest books in my view!

Interestingly enough, in her 'foreword' in The Special, Enid writes - I have chosen these particular three because they are the ones that the majority of my readers asked me to put into one volume - thousands of you sent in these titles, though of course, every book in the series was mentioned sooner or later. But for some reason these titles came up time after time, so here are the three books, all in one volume.

Yes, Enid...someone is telling fibs here. Or maybe Enid was unaware that the publishers had chosen three different titles in the meantime?!

EDIT -- in this issue of EB's Magazine, there's an advert for The Famous Five Special - with the books listed - Five Go Off In A Caravan, Five Go Off To Camp, and Five Have A Wonderful Time -- so quite why Enid listed another three titles remains a mystery - and quite why no proof reader noticed the inconsistency is also open to question!

After the first part of the uncollected story, we continue with something different - a Bom story. For those of you not familiar with 'Bom' - that's a shame because it was republished, and so isn't included in Tony's scans. Its Bom and the Clown - a nightmare idea if you dislike clowns! What happens is pretty much what you would expect - Bom meets a clown. As its only the first chapter (and Enid ends it in mid-air not even featuring chapter 2 in the last issue) its not very satisfying. In my view, those who moan about some of the Noddy stories haven't read any Bom stories! They are even less literary! ;-) Should you want to read it, you'll have to buy the book 'Bom and the Clown' - published in 1959.

The Goblin Shop continues its merry way - drawing to a close. This is another thing I find interesting...how was it that this picture strip conveniently had only one more double spread to go before finishing? It almost seemed as if it was planned that way...convenient anyway!

After this we have another short story - this time, you can read it in Enid Blyton's Bedtime Annual 1975 - I'd Never Have Guessed It, Brer Rabbit! - another story about Brere Rabbit outwitting Brer Fox and Brer Bear, both of whom believe he's charged them too much for sacks of carrots. They come to his house to search for his money and take it away - but Brer Rabbit has been baking a pie...I'll leave the rest to your imagination...

The Puzzle Page is good fun as always and can be attempted by following the link. :-)

Next we have chapter 17 of Bonfire Night For the Secret Seven Anyone who is familiar with this book will be wondering how the story can possibly be finished in just one more issue - as there were 20 chapters in the book - but Enid provides three chapters to finish it off in September - all crowded into one and labelled 'chapter 18'.

Burgess Sharrocks provides us with this illustration -

Which in my view is more interesting than the one in the novel -

And so, with Our Letter Page - featuring letters from Linda Phillips in Crayford, Kent, who tells us about a sale she had to raise money, selling posies of flowers, plaster models, felt bookmarks and old books - which made 12 shillings, and a letter from Kay Dawson, of Kingstanding, Birmingham - whose cat had a bad leg who was helped by the PDSA - we come to the end of this issue of Enid Blyton's Magazine. I was quite interested reading about the cat, as Kay tells us it can knock at the door when it wants to be let in! We also had a couple of cats who could do this when I was a child - the neighbour's cat Blackie was the first to do it - he stood on his hind legs and lifted the door knocker and crashed it down several times - my mom always said it sounded like 'a policeman's knock'! - and then our cat Korky watched him doing it and sure enough he started doing it too! :-D

here's the link to this week's magazine -

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/mag ... ?magid=964

Till September! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

I find A Dog Called Timmy an ingenious story, Enid knew her readers so well through all the letters they sent her and she was aware that some of them set up their own Famous Five clubs so it's quite a clever story. The readers must have been disappointed that the strike stopped the publication of their magazine and saddened when it ceased altogether. If it hadn't been for the strike I wonder how much longer the magazine would have continued? Due to Enid's declining health it must have ended soon anyway.

Thank you Rob for your review, you have answered something that was bothering me. I thought the Secret Seven serial ended minus the last couple of chapters, at least the readers got to finish that story. Many, many thanks to Tony for all the scans. It has been great to read these uncollected stories.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you Kate MAry - and thank you too for your regular comments. Its always good to read other people's impressions of the stories in the magazine. :-D

Thanks also to the small band of members who have kept this thread going through the years since I started in 2016! It was just an idea I had, not meant to last more than six months or so, but I'm happy to have continued it until the end of the run!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member