60 years ago this week...

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: 60 years ago this week...

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:Next we have a cut out 'game' - an empty room picture, with furniture to cut out and stick into place...quite novel. I wonder how many children did this? It would have been quite fiddly, as the furniture is very small for children to cut out!
I'd probably have done that as a child as I liked anything that involved cutting and sticking and putting a scene together.
Rob Houghton wrote:On the back of the magazine - Sculptorcraft are advertising Noddy and Big Ears moulding sets - I think I'll send for one for Anita's birthday... :wink:
I'd sooner have a jigsaw of British counties! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks Rob, now I suppose we'll all be combing the second hand shops for a copy of the Butlin Beaver Annual No 3.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Next we have a cut out 'game' - an empty room picture, with furniture to cut out and stick into place...quite novel. I wonder how many children did this? It would have been quite fiddly, as the furniture is very small for children to cut out!
I'd probably have done that as a child as I liked anything that involved cutting and sticking and putting a scene together.
I probably would have, too! I used to enjoy comics that had cut out and paste things to make! :-)
John Pickup wrote:Thanks Rob, now I suppose we'll all be combing the second hand shops for a copy of the Butlin Beaver Annual No 3.
I have the Beaver Butlin annual number 1 but have never seen Number 3...yet! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:On the back of the magazine - Sculptorcraft are advertising Noddy and Big Ears moulding sets - I think I'll send for one for Anita's birthday... :wink:
:lol: Were they the sort where you pour plaster of Paris into a rubber mould, turn it out when it's dry and paint it? We had one of those when I was little, except it was for Disney characters. Quite fun, except when the plaster cracked and your model came out minus its head! :P I would definitely have preferred a Noddy set to a Disney one.

Just found what must be the set itself: http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Making+Set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I wonder which characters were included — does anyone know?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

According to the advert there were moulds for a whole range of Enid Blyton characters - Mr Policeman, Clockwork Clown, Sailor Doll, Teddy Bear, Mr Pinkwhistle, Mr Wobblyman, Jumbo, Farmer Straw, Mr Tubby-Bear, Mr Golly, Miss Fluffy Cat and also Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Timmy the dog!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: According to the advert there were moulds for a whole range of Enid Blyton characters - Mr Policeman, Clockwork Clown, Sailor Doll, Teddy Bear, Mr Pinkwhistle, Mr Wobblyman, Jumbo, Farmer Straw, Mr Tubby-Bear, Mr Golly, Miss Fluffy Cat and also Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Timmy the dog!
All in the one set?? :shock: :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wow, they sound great. I'd especially like one of Mr Wobbly Man. Mr. Pinkwhistle would have been an interesting one too.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I had quite a few plaster of Paris moulding sets as a child. We had some Beatrix Potter ones of peter Rabbit, Mrs Tiggiewinkle, Jeremy Fisher etc, and also I had a Mr Men set and a Rupert the Bear set. :-) I'd definitely have enjoyed the Famous Five set, as well as Mr Pinkwhistle and Noddy.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I never had any plaster of Paris moulding sets but I do remember seeing TV adverts for Shaker Maker.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I would have loved a Beatrix Potter one too! :D Now I'm remembering another hazard of the activity — not mixing the plaster properly, so there were air bubbles in it. I recall being devastated when one of my first models — I think it was Mickey Mouse — came out of the mould with several big holes... :shock:
Society Member

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

We had those moulds in the late 40s and early 50s too - but I never had any Blyton related ones. I seem to remember ours were mainly of animals. I remember those air bubbles too Courtenay!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also had several moulds and particularly remember the Toby Jug ones. I used to enjoy making the jugs and painting and varnishing them to give as presents to friends and relatives. Air bubbles were certainly a problem, I recall.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:but I do remember seeing TV adverts for Shaker Maker.
Wasn't that an Oasis track?

I had a garden set - a large green felt rectangle upon which you could stand trees, plants, benches and so on. It was all the rage in the 60s, but I can't remember what it was called.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's that time again, when we wait eagerly by the letterbox for the latest Enid Blyton Magazine! :-D

And here it is - with a lovely illustration on the cover from the first story, 'A Queer Punishment'. It's a really lovely story, but unfortunately has never been reprinted - maybe not surprising, given its title - but well worth reading. Its all about some children taking presents and toys to children who are in hospital, and how one of the girls in the school hates hospitals and is scared of sickness, so thinks its all rather silly...until she is made to accompany the head boy to the hospital herself. A story about facing your fears and also about becoming a better person - it's one of the nicest stories of its kind I've ever read. :-D

On the editorial page, Enid tells us of the places she will be in the next few weeks, signing books, and greeting children who want to see her. On Wednesday 22 August she will be at Derry and Toms, 'the big store in Kensington High Street' at 2:30 until 4:30, where she will sign autographs and books and chat with children to find out what books they would like her to write next. Then, on Wednesday 29 August Enid will be at The Boys' and Girls' Exhibition at Olympia from 3-4 in the afternoon.

Enid tells us that the WH Smith stand, where she will be signing books, will also have a display of equipment used in the 'exciting Trans-Arctic Expedition' - the tent, clothing and sledge, etc. Enid writes 'The boys will like to see these (and so will most girls!)'

Enid also encourages her readers to write in and tell her how their silkworm eggs got on - if they hatched, and how much silk they were able to get from them! :-D

Next we have the Letter page - with two entertaining letters - the prize winning one being about a little girl, Freda Hoyle, who found a tiny abandoned puppy and took it home to look after it. It was just new born, and was feared it wouldn't survive, but Freda's mummy fed it every two hours through the night. The puppy is now six months old, and 'a very happy dog' as Freda tells us.

The next story is The Tale Of Busybody - a very entertaining story which I'd never read before - a classic Enid Blyton 'consequence' tale, where Busybody borrows a ladder to get someone down from a tree...and in doing so traps someone on a roof, so borrows a washing line to help them down...which in turn means the washing gets blown around - and so on. It was a very amusing story, and I was interested to see in The Cave that it's available in Enid Blyton's Bedtime Annual 1973.

After this amusing story comes the Puzzle Page - and an interesting riddle for Famous Five Club members -

I've got a head and a tail
And I've got a milling.
I'm half of a crown
Plus three quarters of a shilling'

8)

Animal Hints tells us all about Cats, this time - and I found it interesting given a conversation some of us were having on another thread about cats eating flies and spiders. Enid tells us 'Do not let your cat eat cockroaches or flies'...Whether this is just cockroaches and flies, and doesn't include moths, spiders, earwigs, ants, etc, I'm not sure! ;-)

Enid recommends that 'cats should be fed twice a day. A light meal in the morning, such as milk or porridge and the chief meal after sunset...' I've never imagined a cat eating porridge! Would it be any good for them?! :shock:

Next comes the Noddy strip story - four frames a fortnight. This time Noddy is in a car crash (his little car crashes into a steam-roller!) Hopefully he will survive till the next episode! ;-)

Next - chapter 7 of 'Five Go To Billcock Hill' - we're all familiar with this story - and I can't help wishing I could have read a new Famous Five like this, but could I have waited two weeks for each chapter? Patience isn't what it used to be - in a world where everything has to be instantly gratifying! In this chapter the children meet Mrs Janes, who mutters a string of strange sounding words at them, George gets frightened by a giant spider, and they discover a pool to swim in which says 'Keep Out' ;-)

Next comes another interesting story, all about two cats, and how one pounced on a seagull's tail and got carried into the air! This is called Smokey and the Seagull - and is, according to Enid, based on a story told by Christine of Inverness' who wrote to Enid and told her the true story of what happened to her cat!

Next - the poem - taken from 'Enid Blyton's Book of the Year' -

A Roof Above His Head

"I may be slow, and stupid too,"
The crawling Tortoise said.
"But still, I'm sharp enough to keep
A roof above my head!

"You rabbits have to seek your homes
When enemies are near,
You birds spend hours building nests,
A new one every year!

"You mice make homes of flimsy grass
That any wind would scatter,
But if a storm blows over mine
It really doesn't matter!

"My home is hard and strong and safe,
It has a splendid roof,
And though it's out in wind and rain
It's always weatherproof!"

8)

Finally - some things to look for -

The Drinker moth - so called because it's caterpillar's drink from drops of dew. The moth has yellowish wings with two white spots, in case you should see one!

Also - Enid suggests looking in the wheat for the nests of the harvest mouse. I'm sure they were far more abundant in Enid's day than in 2016, sadly. :-(

This week, there are some interesting adverts - one for Anita - 'The Big New Noddy Book' -

A new Worzel Gummidge book - 'Worzel Gummidge and the Railway Scarecrows, plus an advertisement for Robertson's golliwog brooches - 10 labels get you a brooch! I have a few of these myself, but I'm sure I didn't have to collect as many as 10 labels!

Hopefully, my Magazine Badge will arrive next week - which I bought from eBay for just 99p! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Rob.I always look forward to and enjoy your fortnightly resume.

ps the badge is much larger and strongly built than I expected when I received mine.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member