'From My Window' in Teachers World

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
GloomyGraham

Re: 'From My Window' in Teachers World

Post by GloomyGraham »

Luckily for the shop assistants of London, Enid was in a good mood :)
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I enjoy Christmas shopping as much as Enid does, especially if it involves a visit to a book shop, online shopping just isn't the same. I was delighted to read about the cardboard box, who'd have thought Enid invented the forerunner of the shopping trolley!
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I have to disagree with Enid for once as I hate shopping for presents, especially at Christmas time. It is probably influenced by the fact that my husband's birthday is ten days before Christmas, while the birthday of my son's girlfriend is a mere two days after Christmas, so I have to find two sets of presents for them, which is not easy. Mind you, I like Enid's idea of saving money to spend on Christmas gifts and might put it into practice for next Christmas!!!
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I do all my Christmas shopping online these days. I have three birthdays around Christmas - my granddaughter's which was just three days ago, my elder daughter's husband on the 20th followed by hers on Christmas Eve - but then I guess that one is all down to me. :D

Of course, Christmas shopping at the time Enid refers to was totally different.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

The thought of shopping all day is a nightmare scenario for me. I went for a few things the other day at about 10.30am and it was already chaotic. I've decided any grocery shopping between now and Christmas will be done before 9am so I can avoid traffic and crowds.

Most of my 'special' gifts over the past few years have been online purchases as I find it easier to find something unique or personal.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I enjoyed reading about Enid's experience of shopping. Personally I can't think of anything worse then setting a whole day aside for shopping, as I know that by the end of it, I would be exhausted and have got to the point where I couldn't think logically enough as to whether to buy something or not.

I was intrigued by Enid's comments about being asked by people to go shopping with them. I always think of Enid as being a bit of a loner, I wonder who they were, or was it poetic licence?

I'd also love to know what kind of presents she bought, they must have been fairly small and light if she just took 2 bags with her to carry it home in. I wonder which London shop she was referring to? I have a feeling Imogen mentioned one in her autobiography that she said Enid liked to shop at, but I can't remember which one it was, and of course it might not have been the same one Enid was referring to.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Boatbuilder wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 00:29 I do all my Christmas shopping online these days. I have three birthdays around Christmas - my granddaughter's which was just three days ago, my elder daughter's husband on the 20th followed by hers on Christmas Eve - but then I guess that one is all down to me. :D

Of course, Christmas shopping at the time Enid refers to was totally different.
My husband and I only started shopping online during the lockdown, but I must say that it makes a great deal of sense, although we are a bit reluctant to order clothes without being able to see and try them on first.

In what way would Christmas shopping have differed in the period that Enid refers to? Obviously the range of products on offer today is far greater, but otherwise I would assume that the experience would be fairly similar.

John, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has to cope with birthdays at Christmas time!!!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Boodi 2 wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 16:50
John, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has to cope with birthdays at Christmas time!!!
Me too! We have 3 birthdays within a month of Christmas. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 09:46I was intrigued by Enid's comments about being asked by people to go shopping with them. I always think of Enid as being a bit of a loner, I wonder who they were, or was it poetic licence?
Possibly the Attenboroughs or Phyllis Chase? I'm sure there must have been others.

Katharine wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 09:46I wonder which London shop she was referring to? I have a feeling Imogen mentioned one in her autobiography that she said Enid liked to shop at, but I can't remember which one it was, and of course it might not have been the same one Enid was referring to.
Imogen mentioned that Enid liked to go to Harrod's where she could buy practically everything under one roof. I don't know whether that applied as early as 1925 though, when Enid probably had a bit more time to look round different shops.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ah thanks Anita, I couldn't remember if it was there or Selfridges. I think Harrods is within easy walking distance of where Enid was living at the time.

Enid mentioned buying a present for Phyllis, and I wondered if she had Phyllis Chase in mind, or if if it was just a name she'd picked at random, if she was thinking of real people, I wonder who the granny and Uncle Dick were that she was also buying gifts for.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enid reflects that Christmas is a time "not only for the young in years, but for the young of heart":

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=219

Her next 'From My Window' column is a little odd as she has Father Time going round the streets on New Year's Eve, calling out "New lamps for old!" like the magician in Aladdin. As the magician in Aladdin is evil and is giving away lamps of little value in the hope of getting a valuable magic lamp in return, I'm not sure that Enid's notion of Father Time giving people the chance of "a fresh lamp of life" quite works. However, she is completely caught up in the idea and waxes poetical and philosophical throughout the rest of the column:
... out of the dim folds of the shadowy curtains of eternity, certain things show up clearly in the light of our little lamps. Love is the outstanding fact of life, in all its varied phases - love for child and parent, love for husband and friends, love for animals and flowers. In the circle of love stand the other kindly things of life - cheerfulness, good-nature, generosity, laughter.
She goes on to talk about Beauty and Truth, stating that having "a strong, steady flame in a well-kept lamp" enables people to see more, and to help others to see.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/bly ... &perid=220
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member