Uncollected Short Stories in the Cave

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Tony Summerfield

Uncollected Short Stories in the Cave

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Amongst other things I have been adding uncollected stories from Teachers World to the Periodical section in the Cave of Books. As we now have so much in there (nearly 3400 items with 700 images) I appreciate that it would be very difficult for anyone who is interested to find them, so I thought it would be helpful if I gave the number of the Teachers World issue where they can be found. Twelve stories to start with:-

TW 1446 Mr Twinkle’s Handkerchief
TW 1524 Mr Stamp-About
TW 1728 Old Benny Biggles
TW 1739 The Boy Who Wouldn’t Work
TW 1776 The Strange Spell
TW 1808 The Two Boys
TW 1828 The Wonderful Garden
TW 1839 The Two Families
TW 1867 The Boy Who Cheated
TW 1881 Cosy is Lost
TW 1887 The Bear in the Cave
TW 1890 The Lost Shilling
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Uncollected Short Stories in the Cave

Post by Aurélien »

Some of those titles sound most interesting, Tony, especially if the details are accompanied by uploaded illustrations.

Not sure, though, that one lifetime is long enough to catch up with everything in yer cave......

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a spooky co-incidence. I was thinking today of sending you an e-mail asking if there was list of un-collected stories anywhere, but thought I'd better check out the cave first.
Aurélien wrote:Not sure, though, that one lifetime is long enough to catch up with everything in yer cave......

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
As the saying goes, so many books, so little time!!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I'm afraid that there is no list of uncollected stories, but there are plenty of them! I can tell you that just in Teachers World alone there are 213 uncollected stories. Currently 44 of them are available in the periodicals section, so I have still got a bit to do - no rest for the wicked! :lol:

The twelve that I listed are just the ones that I have done recently, and I will list others as I add them, but I don't have copies of all of them by any means.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Currently 44 of them are available in the periodicals section, so I have still got a bit to do - no rest for the wicked!
The list above is very helpful.

I intend to read as many short stories by Enid Blyton as possible. I know it's impossible but I will try with the help from you via this website. So many uncollected stories that you have added are for me to to read.

Could you please list down the 44 short stories in the periodicals section?There are too many items to search the stories one by one.

Easier for us to find the stories.

So the total short stories in periodicals section is 44 plus 12 new one i.e 56 short stories.

This thread will become important to those who are like me who want to read all the new uncollected short stories that you will add in the future.

If you did something that you have a passion for,even if you are tired, it is really worth it.The satisfaction that count. :wink:

Thank you so much,Tony. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A dozen stories - what a treat! Thanks, Tony. The Periodicals section is packed with rare gems now - stories, poems, articles and exquisite vintage covers and illustrations. A bit hard to know exactly where to look, though! If I have time in the near future I'll help list some of the goodies that are tucked away in shadowy corners and on rocky ledges in the Cave. I'm in regular contact with Tony and know how many hours he spends working on these items - not merely scanning them but "cleaning" and "repairing" damaged illustrations and text (a fiddly and time-consuming task in some cases), resizing and centring things, researching publication details (Journal contributor David Chambers has helped with that and has input some details such as Enid Blyton's contributions to The Evening Standard), etc. Painstaking work, but hopefully satisfying in that an invaluable database is being built up which is not only informative, but entertaining and a feast for the eyes.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Amongst other things I have been adding uncollected stories from Teachers World to the Periodical section in the Cave of Books. As we now have so much in there (nearly 3400 items with 700 images) I appreciate that it would be very difficult for anyone who is interested to find them, so I thought it would be helpful if I gave the number of the Teachers World issue where they can be found.
Thanks for providing the list, Tony. Your hard work in the Cave is much appreciated. :D
Aurélien wrote:Not sure, though, that one lifetime is long enough to catch up with everything in yer cave......
Good point, Aurélien. :cry:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I have added another 12 short stories today:-

TW 1371 The Pixie Painter
TW 1376 The Sun-Flower Girl
TW 1380 The Sneeze
TW 1433 Old Mother Grumps
TW 1610 The King’s Treasure
TW 1726 The Tail of the Donkey
TW 1743 The Toad and the Spider
TW 1845 The Plumed Moth
TW 1853 When Peter Stayed In
TW 1879 What the Weathercock Sees
TW 1882 The Three Jackdaws
TW 1891 The Lazy Little Girl

This now takes the total to 56, Sixret. There were 32 already there which have been there for several weeks. I'm afraid I am not going to list them as I don't want to spoil all the fun of discovery! I can tell you that the ones that were already there are all in the first three or four years of Teachers World.

These latest ones that I have added over the last two days are all scanned from Enid Blyton's own cuttings. One or two have got things written on them, but as this was done by Enid herself I have left the writing on them.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Thanks for these Tony. I've just read The Three Jackdaws, which is a Miss Brown school story. I wonder if Enid ever had birds in her classroom :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Gosh what a list, Tony. Time you came up for some air I think. :D

Thanks for posting and all your hard work.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:A dozen stories - what a treat! Thanks, Tony. The Periodicals section is packed with rare gems now - stories, poems, articles and exquisite vintage covers and illustrations. A bit hard to know exactly where to look, though! If I have time in the near future I'll help list some of the goodies that are tucked away in shadowy corners and on rocky ledges in the Cave. I'm in regular contact with Tony and know how many hours he spends working on these items - not merely scanning them but "cleaning" and "repairing" damaged illustrations and text (a fiddly and time-consuming task in some cases), resizing and centring things, researching publication details (Journal contributor David Chambers has helped with that and has input some details such as Enid Blyton's contributions to The Evening Standard), etc. Painstaking work, but hopefully satisfying in that an invaluable database is being built up which is not only informative, but entertaining and a feast for the eyes.
Thank you so much Tony and Anita.Both of you remind me very much to John Curran,an ordinary fan of Agatha Christie who have become an expert. :shock: :shock: :shock: He has written a detailed analysis book on Agatha Christie's works.The book is a great pleasure for all her readers and fans around the world. :D

Keep up the good works. :wink:
Tony Summerfield

I lost concentration whilst I was scanning, so you have got 14 more uncollected stories today, which takes the total to 70 in the Teachers World section of the Cave (there are other uncollected stories in different periodicals).

TW 1369 The Spider-Maiden
TW 1399 The Very Naughty Dog
TW 1413 The Little Princess
TW 1619 The Beautiful Tail
TW 1629 The Dreadful Spelling Mistake
TW 1672 A Very Little Thing
TW 1687 The Old, Wise Woman
TW 1717 Spindleshanks
TW 1774 The Boy Who Wouldn’t Read
TW 1820 The First Swallow
TW 1868 Tit for Tat!
TW 1871 The Beautiful Easter Egg
TW 1878 The Prizegiving Day
TW 1884 Frog-Rain

When I saw the story 'The Little Princess' I started wondering how many other Blyton short stories have the titles of other authors' books! I can think of another Blyton short story by the same author, 'The Secret Garden' - I am sure someone will come up with others. :)
sixret

Post by sixret »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I lost concentration whilst I was scanning, so you have got 14 more uncollected stories today, which takes the total to 70 in the Teachers World section of the Cave (there are other uncollected stories in different periodicals).

TW 1369 The Spider-Maiden
TW 1399 The Very Naughty Dog
TW 1413 The Little Princess
TW 1619 The Beautiful Tail
TW 1629 The Dreadful Spelling Mistake
TW 1672 A Very Little Thing
TW 1687 The Old, Wise Woman
TW 1717 Spindleshanks
TW 1774 The Boy Who Wouldn’t Read
TW 1820 The First Swallow
TW 1868 Tit for Tat!
TW 1871 The Beautiful Easter Egg
TW 1878 The Prizegiving Day
TW 1884 Frog-Rain

When I saw the story 'The Little Princess' I started wondering how many other Blyton short stories have the titles of other authors' books! I can think of another Blyton short story by the same author, 'The Secret Garden' - I am sure someone will come up with others. :)
The Secret Garden-Of course,it is a classic children book.

And now I have to keep up with you.I haven't finished reading the first batch yet and here come the third batch. :lol:
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

This is a treasure trove indeed. What wonderful little stories they are. Tony your work and efforts are endless and The Cave is a living testament to our favourite author. It is one of the finest literary resources in the world.

On the latest batch of stories I am working my way down the lists in the order you have typed them above. Many thanks yet again. :D
Last edited by Lucky Star on 08 Dec 2010, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

One of the problems that makes these cuttings more time-consuming to work on is when the 'cutting' is a bit too enthusiastic and the missing bits from the title have to be replaced pixel by pixel! Here is an example of TW 1820 before labour.

Another from Miss Brown's school for Viv to enjoy! :lol: