Any News of Pete?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Any News of Pete?

Post by Moonraker »

Moved from another thread.

Bertie wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 10:40
Moonraker wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 15:31
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 14:33 Hope Pete is okay, by the way. He hasn't been on the forums for over a fortnight, which is unusual for him.
Yes, some of us are rather worried about Pete. One or two of us have even emailed him, but to date he hasn't replied.
Any update about Pete?
I know he hasn't posted since, but any luck with the emails or anything?
Hope he's OK.
Still no news. I even sent a message to his email phone but again, no reply. I had thought about PMing Mike, his brother, but as he hasn't posted on here for years, probably wouldn't see the PM.

As admin have Pete's home address, maybe a letter could be sent?
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Famous Five Books - a Quiz

Post by Daisy »

I wondered about PMing Mike, thinking if he had an alert that an email had arrived he might see it. Pete said he was going to Snowdonia for a few days just before his latest post on CRF. Like everyone, I hope he is okay.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Daisy wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 13:03 Pete said he was going to Snowdonia for a few days just before his latest post on CRF.
Just so long as he hasn't found his way into a mysterious crimson-smoke-belching mountain, look you, whateffer, to gootness... :shock: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Becky Kent is second in this month’s monthly quiz.
It sounds like a pseudonym that Pete might have thought of, maybe short for Beckenham Kent, where Enid once lived.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Indeed.

Having agreed. I am seriously worried about Pete. We often exchanged emails and he usually replies within minutes. The longer his absence is unexplained, the more worried I become. I know people come and go, often taking breaks from forums, but this is so out of character.
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

That's perfectly understandable. I've only been a member for a year, and don't know Pete at all in real life, but I'm very worried as well so can fully understand how worried someone who knows him much better, and for much longer, must feel.

It's the out of character nature, and the fact he's not even responding to personal emails from the likes of yourself, that makes it so worrying.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Pete is a good friend to many of us and to this forum. He always replies promptly to my emails but has failed to answer the last two I have sent.
As many of us are concerned by his disappearance from this and other forums, I don't think it is appropriate to make fun of his absence by implying he has been trapped in a smoke-belching mountain accompanied by some banal Welsh phrases.
I am worried about Pete and I don't need to read comments like that
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've also given Nigel Pete's mobile number, and he's text Pete, but no reply. And let's face it, many of us have our mobiles with us at all times.

Like everyone else this is very worrying indeed.

This is a serious worry, and I have to say making fun at this sudden disappearance is in bad taste. I just hope all is well and Pete reassures us soon that he is safe and well.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Yes, I am also worried about Pete's unusual absence and lack of response. I've never met him and only communicated via the forums - you'll have all seen my comms with him. I'd like to defend Courtenay. I agree it was an attempt at humour that didn't work, but, I'm sure it was not intented to cause offense. I've also never met Courtenay, but, am pretty sure of that.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Barnard wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 17:35 Becky Kent is second in this month’s monthly quiz.
It sounds like a pseudonym that Pete might have thought of, maybe short for Beckenham Kent, where Enid once lived.
Becky Kent was a pseudonym used by Enid Blyton for some of her early work, so anyone who is aware of that might have chosen it as a username for the quiz. I just checked out the IP but it didn't help.

Like Jack, I'm sure Courtenay didn't intend any offence with her comment but I'm worried about Pete too. I'll talk to Tony about whether we could try contacting him by post. If anyone does receive any news, it would be good to know.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I do think it's worth trying everything possible to contact him so PMing Mike and trying the postal option are definitely OK in my view. It's inconceivable that Pete has disappeared from both forums without so much as a word of goodbye so we must sadly assume that something is preventing him from posting. :cry:

I will add that I also don't think Courtenay intended any offence although with hindsight it was an ill judged joke. No quarrelling here please, the priority is our missing comrade. Does anyone know his full real name? Might a google search of it yield something? I am actually reminded of the Francis situation. He too vanished without trace until we learned that he'd upped and joined some sort of religious cult. :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I definitely didn't intend to cause offence with the earlier remark — I was only thinking of lightening the atmosphere with a joke about a book we all know, but I didn't stop to consider that it might not go down well with those who know Pete personally, and I'm truly sorry to have upset others here.

I'm also hoping nothing bad has happened to Pete and that we'll know more soon.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Boodi 2 »

I have also been worried about Pete since Anita first mentioned that he had not posted on the forum for quite a while, as that is quite out of character for him. I do hope he is OK and that there is a logical, non-serious reason for his sudden silence, but as the days go by that hope becomes less. Although I do not know him personally (only from the forums) he is nevertheless in my thoughts and prayers at this worrying time.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Oh dear - I'm worried too.

Forumites do tend to come and go - me included - but to suddenly drop out and not reply to friendly messages seems odd.

A letter in the post sounds a good idea

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

They do indeed. But Pete and I used to email quite frequently, sharing eBooks, for example. It is not just that he hasn't posted for a while on the two forums he belongs to, it is the fact that he isn't replying to emails, texts etc. The only thing left is to write, I guess. Have you been able to do that yet, Anita?
Society Member