Collections

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Re: Collections

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Pete! Your advice is much appreciated. I have a photo of the front of the watch but not of the back, so I will have to take one of the back. The only problem is that I don't know how to upload photos to the forum...I think the only time I did so John (Boatbuilder) uploaded them for me.

I would love to have the watch repaired, as I think it is very attractive!
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

PS I have now posted my question on the watchuseek forum with a photo of the front of the watch and will let you know the outcome!!!
Thanks again and cheers,
Boodi
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

pete9012S wrote: 17 May 2023, 17:15 I collect guitars. An expensive hobby. But they hold or increase their value if you buy wisely.
I wonder if you can play John Lennon's guitar, Pete. ;-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Your book collection sounds great, John (Pickup)! Am I right in thinking you have a room devoted to your library?

Hope you manage to get your husband's watch working again, Boodi!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

I have already received several replies from members of the watchuseek forum and from what they say, it seems possible to replace the movement, so now I just have to check with some local watch repair outlets to find one that is able and willing to do the job!!! One person actually admired the watch and said it is so attractive that even if it does not work it is still nice to look at :lol: !!!
Thanks again for the link Pete!
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 18 May 2023, 09:23 If I had the money I'd love an antique timepiece, Pete, but I'd go for a grandfather clock rather than a watch.
It is a pity you don't live closer to us Anita, as there is a 50 year old grandfather clock here that is looking for a new home and you would be more than welcome to it!!! The elderly lady who owns it developed severe dementia and is now in a home. Her son is selling the house and has cleared out or sold most of the furniture. However, so far nobody has shown any interest in the grandfather clock, which is now alone in the empty house!!! My husband and I did consider taking it, but our house is cluttered enough already and we really do not have sufficient space for it, which is a pity.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Spitty, as Ern would say! Not that I've really got the space for a grandfather clock either, but it's a nice thought!

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Boodi 2 wrote: 19 May 2023, 16:39 I have already received several replies from members of the watchuseek forum and from what they say, it seems possible to replace the movement, so now I just have to check with some local watch repair outlets to find one that is able and willing to do the job!!! One person actually admired the watch and said it is so attractive that even if it does not work it is still nice to look at :lol: !!!
Thanks again for the link Pete!
A pleasure Boodi - just a thought, it might be worth seeing if there any slightly similar looking watches on ebay that are working by the same maker that could be used in your hubby's watch to repair it.

It may be cheaper to buy a complete working used quartz watch and then harvest the quartz movement - I'm sure if you find a local watch repair shop they may be able to advise better.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Wolfgang wrote: 19 May 2023, 16:08 I wonder if you can play John Lennon's guitar, Pete. ;-)
One of the great tracks by Barclay James Harvest.
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 19 May 2023, 16:39 Your book collection sounds great, John (Pickup)! Am I right in thinking you have a room devoted to your library?
I used to have a room dedicated to my books, Anita, but when we moved I've had to put the bookcases in the spare bedroom which is used when our granddaughter comes to stay overnight.
She loves looking at the books and at the moment is reading stories from Enid Blyton's Treasury.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm glad your granddaughter loves your books, John. Maybe her interest will last the whole of her life, just as it has for many of us (not that we've reached the ends of our lives yet, but you know what I mean! :) )

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

pete9012S wrote: 19 May 2023, 17:39 It may be cheaper to buy a complete working used quartz watch and then harvest the quartz movement - I'm sure if you find a local watch repair shop they may be able to advise better.
Thanks again Pete! The idea of trying to find a similar watch in working order did occur to me and obviously the cost of the repair is a factor. What I am hoping is that when I find a local outlet willing to do the job they will be able to replace the movement with a standard one (i.e. not necessarily another Royal London one). As I am very busy with work next week I probably won't have time to scour the local repair outlets (in my case "local" means a journey of between 11 and 40 kms one way) but will keep you posted on developments.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Bertie wrote: 17 May 2023, 21:04 Very interesting to read about everyone's collections. :D

Fiona, I didn't really know much about Sea Pottery. That looks quite interesting. Have you found many pieces?

Erm... yes, probably too many. I probably have several hundred pieces now. In fact I have so many that when I find new pieces I only bring them home if they have either a pattern or texture to them. If I collected every plain piece it'd be in the thousands. It's incredible how much there is on beaches when you actually look for it. I find it on beaches I have visited for thirty years but had just never noticed it before.

Here are a few photos showing some of the things I've found on various beach walks:

https://worldofblyton.com/2022/01/09/de ... usel-30686

https://worldofblyton.com/2021/12/01/no ... usel-30442

https://worldofblyton.com/2022/08/04/ju ... usel-32291

https://worldofblyton.com/2022/05/04/ap ... usel-31826

https://worldofblyton.com/2022/04/01/ma ... usel-31510

https://worldofblyton.com/2022/02/02/ja ... usel-30918

and here's how I store it all:

https://worldofblyton.com/2022/02/02/ja ... usel-30919

I have two of these boxes which have three trays in each.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Thanks for those photos, Fiona. Looks a great collection. I especially like the blue and white pieces as one of the earliest collections I remember growing up was my mum's blue and white plates / ornaments that were mostly Delft or Willow pattern (she still has much of it, but with my two brothers and I playing in the house some of it ended up looking more like your pieces! :) ).

Did I also see the Falkirk Kelpies in one of the photos?
Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks for the photos Fiona, as I had no idea what Sea Pottery was and assumed that it was a brand name!!! Amazing what one can find if one looks hard enough!
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I added five 'First Day Covers' to my collection today from 1999 relating to the Millenium. I purchased these on eBay at the weekend for just 99p + postage. I am quite pleased with my purchase as they are all in excellent condition. I wasn't aware they came with the cards shown in the pictures until they arrived and there were only two signatures that I had managed to determine - Kathy Staff and Raymond Baxter who are sadly no longer with us - until I saw the cards in the envelopes as they weren't mentioned by the seller.

Last edited by Boatbuilder on 24 May 2023, 20:23, edited 2 times in total.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member