What makes you happy?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

What makes you happy?

Post by Katharine »

I'm not sure if there's been a similar thread to this before, but if so, I couldn't find it.

I've often joined in with the 'What makes you annoyed?' discussion, so thought I'd try and balance it with saying the opposite for a change. :)

Obviously books - both reading an purchasing them - makes me happy, but this last week it's been family related activities.

My daughters have been involved with a local dancing school for a many years, and take part in their bi-annual shows. The one in 2020 was cancelled due to Covid, although they did manage to arrange a mini version in between Covid lockdowns. Last night was the first 'proper' show for 5 years. Last Sunday I spent the afternoon as a chaperone for a dress rehearsal, and stepped in at short notice to help again on Wednesday evening.

Last night I was in the audience, and tonight I will be backstage again. The first show I helped with was way back in 2002, and as well as enjoying watching my own girls, I've loved seeing how other girls have progressed through the years. I'm even getting to the stage where I'm watching the daughters of some of the girls from the first few shows take to the stage - when I start seeing their granddaughters, then I'll know I'm really getting old.

As someone with 'two left feet', and poor co-ordination, I'm always left in awe that I managed to produce two children who are so graceful. :lol:

I'm sure that this time tomorrow I'll be feeling exhausted after two late nights in a row, and believe me, trying to keep small children entertained for 4 hours until they can take their final bow is often very challenging, but thankfully I'm working with a great bunch of ladies.

Next weekend my son is popping home for a short visit - sometimes it's the little things in life that can bring the most pleasure. :)
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What makes you happy?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's lovely that you've been involved with the dancing school for so long, Katharine.

Spending time with family or friends always makes me happy. My family and I enjoy board games and jigsaw puzzles, crosswords and quizzes, watching films, exploring historical towns or cities and going on countryside/seaside picnics, so it's fun to do those things together.

I also love going to musicals at the theatre, and have been to many with Tony over the years.

Getting lost in a gripping book makes me happy too - as does buying a bargain book from a charity shop!

Spring flowers are a delight and I find bright carpets of crocuses, daffodils, tulips, cowslips or bluebells absolutely breathtaking.

Being out amid nature lifts the spirits and I'm excited whenever I see creatures like water voles, stoats, deer, foxes, slow worms, owls, herons and egrets. I've always loved trees too.

Oh, and cake and chocolate are guaranteed to put a smile on my face!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Today I went to a bell practice at Swanage and was delighted to find they had recruited 4 young adults. There were also 2 people under 25 from elsewhere in East Dorset who were well beyond the beginner stage. Most recruits are retired, so to get some genuine young talent coming through was cause for rejoicing.

Then some of the best ringers took to the ropes and showed us what can be done - and it sounded glorious

A bell-ringers' tea is a sight to behold, and Swanage didn't disappoint. One young man had made what he described as lemon-with-cake which was yummy.

Blessed are the cake-bakers :D
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I did think of posting this under the 'technology' thread because it made me realise just what will be lost if ticket offices etc all close down, however I thought I'd share it here as it certainly brightened up my day.

Over the last year I've done two, 12 week stints of commuting twice a week to Norwich by train to study at the university.

Today I started the new term, and went to buy my ticket. I've been served by several different members of staff during that time, and as I'm sure they must get 100s of people passing through every week, I just assume I'm one of the 'faceless public' to them. However, as the lady handed me my tickets today she said:

"Welcome back". I floated out of the ticket office. :)

I'm very thankful that our local ticket office isn't earmarked for closure - the staff are always helpful, and most of them are quite friendly too.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's lovely that the lady remembered you, Katharine. Interactions/exchanges of that kind lift the spirits and can mean a lot. It's terrible that the concept of personal service is gradually being lost, dehumanising daily life.

All the best for the coming term, by the way!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I guess I've never been a hugely sociable person, but I seem to be becoming ever more 'reclusive' over the years so I'd say a lot more of the things that 'make me happy' nowadays are when I'm alone (apart from my pets) and can read novels, watch TV shows, listen to music, etc. Just pretty much having a peaceful time and having some 'control' over what I'm doing and when, the amount of activity, and volume of it, around me, etc.

That's not to say I don't love my friends and family and enjoy spending time with them. Obviously I do. And I'd hate it if I ever thought I couldn't spend time with them whenever I want to. But, truthfully, increasingly nowadays I most look forward to a quiet night in, reading a book or watching TV or listening to music while eating chocolate and, probably, with my cat on my knee! :)

Outside, I do enjoy spending time with nature - either in the garden or in the countryside. And I do like rummaging for bargains or a surprise find in charity shops or at boot sales!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes Anita, that's how I felt. I appreciate that some people don't particularly like personal interaction or prefer to use machines due to time constraints, but there doesn't seem to be the ability/desire to have a blend of the two alternatives.

Thanks - my brain was rather rusty today after a 4 month break from studying, but hopefully I'll improve over the next few weeks. :)

The subject sounds interesting which I always think is an advantage when trying to learn something new - personally I find it much harder to graps things if I have no interest in the subject matter.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Travelling, exploring new and historic places. Browsing bookshops of all kinds (and finding a great bargain of course :wink: ). Listening to music, reading, looking out at the rain while feeling peaceful.. These are all things guaranteed to put me in a good frame of mind.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I go to horse racing every week.
Pure joy.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I used to love going to the races, but oddly enough I have never been to a race course here in Germany. However, I have great memories of days at the races in both Ireland and France, especially on one occasion at Longchamps when I was very lucky and won quite a bit. The group of friends I was with were most impressed and became convinced that I must be an expert...however, in my view it was just sheer good luck. When we returned to Paris where I was living at the time I treated them all to a meal out of my winnings! I still follow racing and often pick horses in various races just for fun. Last year I was actually quite successful, but I know that if I actually put money on the horse it would probably lose (i.e. Murphy's Law)!!!
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Hoppegarten racecourse in Berlin is really good.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I was only in Berlin on one occasion many years ago! Our nearest racecourse is Baden Baden - Iffizheim, which is quite a distance from where I live. My husband is not very interested in horse racing, but I might ask our son and his girlfriend to accompany me there as a day at the races would be nice!
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Today, at a Top Secret location in central Dorset, John and I picked a carrier bag full of field mushrooms.

Mushroom soup tonight was delicious :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Ooh, lovely. :D Back in Australia, my family used to go picking a kind of mushroom called saffron milk caps — they grow under pine trees. They don't look edible, especially as they're a sort of orangey colour (hence "saffron") and the gills underneath turn greenish when bruised, but they are delicious!

Mind you, there was the bizarre and disturbing incident I mentioned in another thread recently, in a town I know well — only 15 miles from where I grew up — where after a meal together, four people were hospitalised with symptoms consistent with death cap mushroom poisoning, and three of them died. The woman who served them the meal is heavily under suspicion, especially as the casualties were the parents and aunt and uncle of her ex-husband, but the investigation continues and no charges have yet been made... :shock:

(I should probably add that I am not meaning to insinuate that our friend Viv would ever do something like this. :wink: :wink: :wink:)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viv of Ginger Pop

Courtenay wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 23:36 (I should probably add that I am not meaning to insinuate that our friend Viv would ever do something like this. :wink: :wink: :wink:)
I ate a freshly plucked one in the field - and lived!