Do you guys like camping?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Do you guys like camping?

Post by jubei »

hi.. I always have many hobbies... Reading, computer gaming, drawing, sports, photography, and of course do outdoor activity which evolved into camping. Recently, after Covid (almost) gone, I find my self delved into this camping hobby frequently. In 2022 I camp a lot, almost every month. I camp with bunch of friends and it's always exciting to do it as a group. However, my camping setup is very different from what the Famous Five did in the book. We bring the hi-tech tent gears, best outdoor outfit , sleeping bag, portable gas cooking stove etc. In brief , bringing those gears helped us reduced the time to assembly / re-assembly the camping setup.

Everytime I joined this camping activity, my memory of reading Enid Blyton book emerge. With this, I can't imagine how the Famous Five boys and girls can survive the camping activity for many days, as in the books, with their minimal gears. Don't they short of food? How they wash their clothes? how they even can survive the sub tropical climate as I assume it pretty cold in the UK.

anyone into this hobby? it must be very beautiful landscape in the UK for outdoor camping. Compare to our tropical forest here.

reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: Do you guys like camping?

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I really love the idea of camping and I hope to be able to do it with friends one day while getting to explore Sweden :D

It's nice seeing how much you love camping! It makes me inspired and motivated to make this dream of mine come true :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That looks fun, Jubei!

I've been camping with Girl Guides in traditional-style tents, where we put up our own tents and built bedding racks out of sticks and string, and cooked meals over an open fire. We had the luxury of a chemical toilet in a canvas shelter, but had to take turns emptying it into a pit each day. It was July and was warm and mainly dry, so we had a brilliant time. We swam in the river, went on hikes (including a midnight hike through the woods), played games, did tasks and activities in our patrols, and sang songs around the campfire. I've also been camping in France, but that was at a campsite where the tent was already set up and there was a shop nearby, and a block containing toilets and showers!

Both my children have been camping with hiking societies or for schemes like Duke of Edinburgh, National Citizen Service and World Challenge. Sometimes there was no opportunity to wash properly for a few days at a time (the same happened to me when I went Inter-railing) but that was all part of the adventure!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've been camping a few times, mostly as a Girl Guide, and once with some friends. Like Anita, as a guide we put up our own tents, made bedding racks etc. I enjoyed all that, and I especially enjoyed cooking over a wood fire. I also enjoyed hammering in the tent pegs, but of course there was a large group of us to share all those tasks, it probably wouldn't have been quite as enjoyable if there had only been 2 or 3 of us to do everything. Washing was done in a small canvas wash tent, in a bowl perched into a tripod of sticks (which we'd made ourselves). I think it would have just been our faces, and possibly under arms - there certainly weren't any shower facilities on the short weekend camps. The longest I went away for was a week's camp. It was a large campsite, and I know there was a big toilet block, although we used our own chemical toilets most of the time. There may have been communal showers too, and as we were there for a week, I wonder if we would have used them, but I can't remember. I think that was before my parents installed a shower in their house, so I would have thought I would have remembered the 'novelty' of using a shower somewhere though.

We wouldn't have worried about washing clothes. I can't remember how long the Famous Five camped for, but if it wasn't for more than a week, I expect they would have worn the same clothes the whole time.

I think the Famous Five normally got fresh food every day from a convenient nearby farm - I would love to know if that was the norm back then, to turn up at a local farm and buy bread, milk, cheese etc or a bit of poetic licence on Enid's part.

I wouldn't go camping now, the last time I went I was cold all the time and hardly slept at night. I don't sleep very well at the best of times, and even if I stay somewhere with a 'proper' bed, it normally takes me a couple of nights before I can get to sleep at a reasonable time. I think I've also got a bit 'soft' in my old age as I hate the idea of not being able to wash my hands at the turn of a tap, that would really stress me out and as for having to stagger across a muddy field to the nearest toilets in the middle of the night.......!!!! Especially as I wouldn't want to go out in my nightclothes, so by the time I'd got myself dressed at say 2.00am, found a torch, used the facilities, got back to the tent, undressed again, and with my difficulty sleeping - I'd probably still be awake come 5.00am!

I still like the 'romantic' idea of camping though, and last year on a very hot summer's day, when on a walk we passed through a really lovely camp site in the West Country - the site had amazing views, and each pitch had it's own small fire pit. For a moment I was tempted to rush out and buy and tent and book us in for a night or two. ;) However the reality would probably be it would rain half the time. ;)
Society Member
jubei

Post by jubei »

Thanks for your camping story sharing.
Machu, it's going to be challenging to do outdoor and camping in Sweden. Your Nordic area I suppose much colder even in summer season? Also aren't Sweden also has world wide acclaimed tent maker ? I forgot the brand name.

Anita and Katarine , the traditional build up tent is lot of fun. The tent-building phase after we reach the camping location is part of the fun. The only issue is, the tent and equipment need to be carried to the location. It's can be quite heavy. If the camping location can reach by car then it is a no issue. We sometimes do the hill climbing and then need to use the "ultra lightweight" tent to minimize our luggage.

Certainly camping at designated campsite will have many facilities needed eg. toilet and fire area. But at our place, campsite are pretty much minimum in facility. Just an emergency toilet, sometime even not existed.

The food management also need to be manage carefully. So, this is another limitation to my camping trip.
The most duration we can do is three nights, then we all short of food already.

Katharine wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 10:10 it normally takes me a couple of nights before I can get to sleep at a reasonable time.
yes... the ability to quickly fell asleep in any situation is very important. It need to be trained by doing a lot of camping :mrgreen: . Sleeping will recharge the energy and the next day can be enjoyed to the fullest again.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a good point about carrying equipment. A traditional canvas tent such as used by Guides and Scouts etc would certainly be too heavy to carry very far. Food too in very remote areas. When my son did his Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award, the menu had to be carefully planned for the weekend trips to make sure they had enough, as I don't think there was an option to buy anything en-route. I think they also had to carry everything themselves, so the tents were the lightweight sort.

Although I certainly wouldn't consider camping any more myself, I do think it's a good thing to have experienced, and have been pleased that my children have all had the opportunity to take part - thank goodness for organisations such as the Scouts and Guides, as it meant I didn't have to take them myself. ;)

Unfortunately I don't know if it is possible for me to train myself to sleep quickly on camp - I can't even manage it at home! I've tried everything all the usual suggestions such as not looking at a screen too close to bed time, not drinking anything with caffeine in, etc etc, but even on a good night it will take me at least 30 minutes, and I normally wake several times during the night - I rarely wake up in the morning feeling as if I've had a good night's sleep. :(
Society Member
jubei

Post by jubei »

Katharine wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 11:53 Although I certainly wouldn't consider camping any more myself, I do think it's a good thing to have experienced, and have been pleased that my children have all had the opportunity to take part - thank goodness for organisations such as the Scouts and Guides, as it meant I didn't have to take them myself. ;)

Unfortunately I don't know if it is possible for me to train myself to sleep quickly on camp - I can't even manage it at home! I've tried everything all the usual suggestions such as not looking at a screen too close to bed time, not drinking anything with caffeine in, etc etc, but even on a good night it will take me at least 30 minutes, and I normally wake several times during the night - I rarely wake up in the morning feeling as if I've had a good night's sleep. :(
It's a very good point to have a camping experienced once in life time. I kind of regret that my children are also too old to experienced childhood like camping along adult. We need to give the new generation a taste of outdoor activity , against the handphone orientated era now.

You of course can still trained your self about sleeping. But from your sharing, I guess you have a bit of this sleep issue. Although a delay of 30 minutes are still completely fine to me. Maybe as the old saying, you need to clear the thought then the sleep will come in automatically.

Me, reading can tired my quickly. This is why I rarely can finished one Enid Blyton book in one day already. :mrgreen: Always felt sleep when reading.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top

Post by Fiona1986 »

I like the idea of camping, but I am fairly sure I would not enjoy the reality. I like a comfortable bed and electricity far too much.

The closest I would be willing to get is a campervan. Or maybe really posh glamping :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I liked camping with the youth group/church youth camps - first as a participant, later as part of the team of volunteers.

But I've decided that I've outgrown sleeping on the floor :lol:.
I tried it at a conference some years ago with my camping mat on the floor of a class room but I couldn't get to sleep because I couldn't lie on my side comfortably. I was very thankful that I could borrow a camping bed the next day. A thick air mattress might have worked, though.

I also prefer having toilets available - proper toilets and I like to be able to reach them without having to go out in the cold and/or the rain. I didn't mind that so much in my teenage years but I guess I'm growing old :mrgreen:.
We had always some kind of toilets at the youth camps available - one camp was with Porta-Pottis (Dixi-Klo in German, can't say that I like them), some with toilets in a wagon (they were no different in usage from toilets in a house) and the last years I went there I was at a camp with a big barn that housed toilets, showers (hot water coming from a wood-fired boiler), kitchen, storage rooms and a very big room where we ate and had our programme. As it was often rainy that was some help but I remember that we discussed as a team if we should buy a tumbler for the next year - clothes simply wouldn't dry when it rained several days in a row; the air in barn was still rather damp.

I remember the shower in one of the other camps being simply some high fence with tarpaulins and something like garden hoses as - mostly cold - showers.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am at the age now where I require a foam mattress, proper toilet facilities, and a proper bedroom. So, no is my answer.
Society Member
jubei

Post by jubei »

The current technology of outdoor air mattress are quite comfortable already. If we want to go all out, we can actually buy all the camping equipments to reach the comfort level we aims.

The camper van "genre" is actually very fun also. I watched many YouTuber who built their camper van and maybe one day i gonna do this also.

Keep sharing the camping stories guys.. I read them all.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 19:10 I am at the age now where I require a foam mattress, proper toilet facilities, and a proper bedroom. So, no is my answer.
It's not even necessarily a matter of "age" for some of us — I've only gone camping twice, for two school expeditions when I was 15 and 16, and I absolutely detested it and will never do it again. :P I love hiking and being outdoors, but I won't go anywhere without having a hotel room or B&B booked beforehand for every night. I need a proper bed and a proper bathroom — and as I usually travel on my own, it's a straight-out matter of personal safety (especially as a female traveller) for me to always have a safe and secure room for the night. So that's how it is for me. I am planning an extended hike in Cornwall for 10 days this July and I have all the accommodation booked already!! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
jubei

Post by jubei »

Enjoy your Cornwall trip, Courteney.
I hope one day I can travel to UK and pilgrimage to Enid Blyton universe site there.
Anna Lou
Favourite book/series: F.F.,Barney Mysteries,Adventure,Find-Outers,Malory
Favourite character: Julian, Snubby, Fatty

Post by Anna Lou »

Hi,

I just noticed your post, I love camping! I try to go as often as I can, which usually ends up being 2 or 3 times a year. For me it's the best type of accommodation you can have, although I have to make do with staying in hotels and cottages at times of the year when it's too cold to camp here in the UK! I love wildlife and the countryside so I find it's the best way to experience it. I like to read Five Go Off To Camp (or other Famous Five/EB books) while I'm there to get in the mood! I like to make the whole holiday as Famous Five-like as possible (minus the actual adventures of course!!)

These days most campsites in the UK have toilets and showers as others have mentioned. I know in the 1940s you sometimes had a dig a latrine so perhaps that's what the FF did!

We go by car (like Mr Luffy!) but we did go camping by train and bicycle on one occasion!

When I attended the Enid Blyton Days I camped nearby.

Enjoy your camping! :)

Anna
jubei

Post by jubei »

Hi Anna, sorry late respond. So lovely to heard that you also love camping. I believe in UK most camping activity will be on your summer, or autumn at least, to avoid cool weather. In Enid Blyton books, most camping are done in these seasons, while on the Christmas they mostly went for an inn or cottage adventure. Also the landscape in sub tropical will be less insect / mosquito, so I always fascinated to heard camping story in you area from first hand.

keep up the stories guysss