World Book Day

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

World Book Day

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

On this evening's South Today, the presenters were talking about what characters they'd like to dress up as for World Book Day. One chose Ron Weasley from J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter books, another chose the BFG from Roald Dahl's The BFG and the third chose Timmy from Enid Blyton's Famous Five series! Great to see Enid getting a mention!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: World Book Day

Post by Fiona1986 »

I saw a post on Facebook this morning from a page about reading, (can't remember which one now) and people were sharing their kids' costumes on it, and one boy was dressed as Dick Kirrin.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I had a good laugh at this boy's quite original and topical dress-up idea! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Always good to hear of children wanting to dress up as something from Enid Blyton for World Book Day.

One of mine went as the Bumpy Dog.

I did mention dressing up to my youngest this week - but apparently it isn't done at 6th form. ;)
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Courtenay wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 22:55 I had a good laugh at this boy's quite original and topical dress-up idea! :wink:
Ha ha - I saw that too.

Considering it sold so well to start with, there seem to be a lot of copies in the shops still.

I know I haven't read it myself, but from what I've heard about it, I'm not sure it's a book I would be encouraging a child to read. ;)
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Courtenay wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 22:55 I had a good laugh at this boy's quite original and topical dress-up idea! :wink:
In the report that I saw, he was holding the South Park version of the book, Waaagh :lol:
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery

Post by jubei »

Are u guys familiar with the term cosplay?

I guess it will be quite ordinary costume to dress as one of Enid Blyton character. Is the '50s dress still available in English house hold?
reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I suppose "cosplay" comes from "costume play"? If a child wore "classic style" modern clothes teamed with a 1950s hairstyle, that would probably do for one of the Famous Five children.

Fiona1986 wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 20:40 I saw a post on Facebook this morning from a page about reading, (can't remember which one now) and people were sharing their kids' costumes on it, and one boy was dressed as Dick Kirrin.
It's good to hear of children dressing up as Enid Blyton characters. Bumpy Dog is a great choice, Katharine! Working in schools on World Book Days in recent years, I've seen a Saucepan Man and a Julian Kirrin but that's about it. J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter characters tend to be popular, along with characters from fairy-tales, Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl, Disney, P. L. Travers' Mary Poppins, L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz, Michael Bond's Paddington and Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

The Prince Harry costume is amusing, though I doubt the boy has Spare read to him at bedtime!

Katharine wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 23:05 I did mention dressing up to my youngest this week - but apparently it isn't done at 6th form. ;)
When my son was in the sixth form, his school asked pupils of all ages to dress up. He decided to play it for laughs and go as Mary Poppins, which won him a prize! I enjoyed helping him make a parrot-head handle for an old umbrella.

Society Member
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery

Post by jubei »

Yes.. It's costume play... Like in halloween..
reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, except that Halloween costumes are scary or spooky, while World Book Day costumes are based on books (though they could still be scary or spooky, of course, depending on the book).

Society Member