Merry Christmas 2022 Blytonites!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: Merry Christmas 2022 Blytonites!

Post by Katharine »

I'm glad I'm not the only one then Courtenay. :)

I think I might try and make a few next Christmas - maybe just for my parents and siblings - not everyone on my list though - and I'll set myself a targe of maybe starting mid-October.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I agree with Moonraker, you're over thinking it Katharine. If you go around wondering what card you can buy/make that won't upset anyone you won't get any because somebody somewhere is going to have an issue with what you chose for some reason or other. Make your cards to suit you. I make my Christmas cards for friends and relatives because I like making cards and I pick a design based on 3 things:

Whether I can actually create it
Whether I like it
Fits the theme in some way

If the design fits these three things then that's what it'll be. I put a lot of time, effort, supplies and thought into them and people like them. They may secretly not necessarily be crazy on the picture but they like the fact they are homemade. A few of my designs over the years have been trees, robins, nativity scenes, woodland forest, animals, baubles, bells, snowmen and angels. This time I made a design based on my dog. No doubt some could be annoyed that it wasn't their dog used. Others that I'd used a dog not a cat. Next year I might make a pudding design though somebody could be upset it's not a turkey... You can't please everyone so don't try. Card making is an art and art is subjective, if you like it that's good enough. And if someone is petty enough to get offended about a homemade card you've taken the trouble to make them they don't deserve to get one. They can have one of those flimsy 500 for a pound things next year :twisted:.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

As you say, IceMaiden, you make what you like. I know Enid never even thought about what the recipient would have thought about the theme, but with knowing all the recipients, she would have known that they would have liked what they received, anyway. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I agree with IceMaiden and from my own experience people really appreciate a handmade card, irrespective of the theme/design.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It's enough hassle trying to choose presents that people would like - without worrying about the cards!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 13:54 It's enough hassle trying to choose presents that people would like - without worrying about the cards!
That's one problem I don't have - we have lists, and most people prefer money anyway. The only presents I have to choose are a few stocking fillers.

I only have 8 (I think) people to buy for, and one of those turns 18 this year, so that will reduce it to 7. :)

The only present that might give me any stress is if we do a Secret Santa at work, especially as it's a lucky dip one so I don't know who will end up getting it, so I can't tailor it to a particular person's likes.

Sadly this year the present I received was a bag of luxury chocolates, but as I'm dairy intolerant, they are still sitting unopened. As most of my family are also dairy intolerant I can't even pass them on. :( I'm hoping I can think of someone to give them to before they go out of date, and obviously as they were given to me by an unknown work colleague, I can't even take them into work to share out. :?
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Katharine - your chocolate problem could be a birthday treat for a food-bank user

The only Secret Santa I have to worry about is for my conservation group. There is a £2 limit, charity shop is a bonus and the more stupid the better. I keep an eye out all year for something suitable.

This year it was a spotters guide to the (highway) roundabouts of the UK 8)
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 14:08 Sadly this year the present I received was a bag of luxury chocolates, but as I'm dairy intolerant, they are still sitting unopened. As most of my family are also dairy intolerant I can't even pass them on. :( I'm hoping I can think of someone to give them to before they go out of date, and obviously as they were given to me by an unknown work colleague, I can't even take them into work to share out. :?
My address is in the post.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Nigel, if I thought they'd get through the post ok, you'd be most welcome. :)

Viv, your Secret Santas sound fund - I actually quite like the sound of the book about the roundabouts. :)

I think I might have just thought of a destination for the chocolates - a local amateur theatre group are having their annual panto next month, and they usually have a small raffle at each performance.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

ImageImage

ImageImage

I would have loved to have received one of Enid Blyton's Christmas/New Year cards.

Although used, these two are still rather pricey!

A Printed Christmas Card from Enid Blyton from her address at Green Hedges, Beaconsfield, Bucks
£ 250/£ 495

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... s-_-filter
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Oh I'd definitely like one of those Pete, but not at that price!

Maybe I should make cards next year using illustrations from Enid's books?

Might get sued for copyright though. ;)
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Boatbuilder wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 00:27 As you say, IceMaiden, you make what you like. I know Enid never even thought about what the recipient would have thought about the theme, but with knowing all the recipients, she would have known that they would have liked what they received, anyway. :D
Yes if you know the recipients you have an idea if they will like the design which helps a lot but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most people think ET is cute and adorable but I think it's hideously ugly and downright creepy. It's impossible to go off what other people like or dislike, you go with what you like and hope it's well received. If it's a homemade card the chances are it's going to people you know well enough to have an idea if they will like the design anyway. For most people, just the fact you've done them a handmade card is enough.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶