R.I.P. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: R.I.P. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lovely comments, stories and memories from everyone. Queen Elizabeth II's long reign of duty and devotion was special, providing a thread of continuity in an ever-changing world.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I didn't watch the whole journey of the cortege this afternoon but I checked on it now and again and then watched it as it went through Dundee. It was good to see how many people turned out, there were people along the majority of the four mile route (the main exceptions being areas that weren't easily accessible).
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Today I went into the town centre and joined thousands? of people to hear the proclamation from local dignitaries.

It was an incredible moment when the crowd all sung God Save the King and then gave three cheers.

It was also a moment of mixed emotions, as it was lovely to be part of the welcome to the new king, but obviously sad because sadly we had to lose The Queen in order for him to take up that position.

Unfortunately I have to work on the day of the funeral, but I shall put the TV on and hopefully catch some of the day.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Fiona1986 wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 20:45 I didn't watch the whole journey of the cortege this afternoon but I checked on it now and again and then watched it as it went through Dundee. It was good to see how many people turned out, there were people along the majority of the four mile route (the main exceptions being areas that weren't easily accessible).
I was wondering if you were one of the many watching as i viewed it on the TV, Fiona.

There were some lovely shots from the helicopter. Seeing Dundee airport as the courtége went past brought back memories of the several times I flew into and out of there some 35+ years ago.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

MJE, I did consider myself an Elizabethan, mainly because I borrowed a children's magazine from the library in the 1950s, 'The Young Elizabethan', and in those early years of her reign I think there must have been an effort to recall the glory days of the first Elizabeth, in contrast to the ghastly first half of the twentieth century when Britain had only just survived the onslaught and was still suffering so much. Elizabeth II became a symbol of hope for a better future.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

On a lighter note...

I have just watched on tv the return of HM's coffin to Buckingham Palace as night fell.

The programme continued with Hugh Edwards interviewing great and good in the BBC's pop-up studio. This is a round construction, but frames Buckingham Palace very nicely through a complete floor to ceiling window. In the dark, the back of Hugh's head was reflected in the window, and every time he leaned forward the head grew huge (4 foot across?) with a tiny ear at each end.

I was fascinated :lol:
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I'm late to this thread, but I would like to echo the other sentiments here. Queen Elizabeth II has to be THE ultimate British icon of the past seventy years. Selfless dedication to duty, there will never be another like her. We knew this would eventually happen and I'm sure King Charles will be a fine monarch, but the world is a poorer place without Elizabeth.

May she rest in peace.
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Post by Anjalli »

I have watched a lot of the tv coverage and i must say i am so impressed by everything - the procedures that the Royal Family have to follow, it is very fascinating to watch, this is indeed history in the making. The guards by the coffin - they are so proper in their clothing and the way they stand, not moving or so. Also has to say Scotland and England are very beautiful in their architecture - some very lovely buildings. I have to work on Monday so will not get to watch the funeral as it happens but will certainly watch it later on. May God grant Her Royal Majesty eternal peace.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Late here too but RIP Queen Elizabeth ll.

It will be strange without her, she just seems to have always been there somehow, and weird as it sounds you sort of felt like she always would be. But at the end of the day however highly regarded, however many titles, however different for being Royalty, however much good she's done and however much possessions and money she had, it could not buy her any more hours. Underneath all that she was just an ordinary human being, no different to anyone else and got no more time than the rest of us get. Wealth and fame really do count for nothing in the end. I hope she is now at peace and enjoying being 'just an ordinary person'.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

A very moving funeral service today at Westminster Abbey — I watched the whole of it and so did my family back in Australia (the ABC was getting the BBC's footage direct, so they had exactly the same programme at the same time, though of course it was late evening for them). I'm glad to know, though, that the Queen's actual burial will be at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, next to her beloved Prince Philip, in a private service with only her closest family present. An appropriate ending and I'm sure it will be a relief for them to have some privacy at last, too.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viv of Ginger Pop

This time two weeks ago Boris Johnson was Prime Minister and the Cambridge children were ready for their school induction day.

It was a different era
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes indeed, it's hard to comprehend that so much has happened in such a short space of time.

I had to go to work today, but fortunately my employers allowed us to be flexible with our work pattern, so I was able to see all the funeral service, and bits of the rest of the day.

I was in London at the weekend on a pre-planned outing, and considered queuing for the lying in state, but felt I would probably struggle to stand in line for all those hours. However, we did go to Green Park to see the floral (and other) tributes, and that was very moving to see so many different tributes.

We then tried to walk to Buckingham Palace, but shortly after we started along The Mall, the police closed the footpath and we had to wait for a while.
We were then fortunate to see The King was driving from the Palace. After that we went to stand as close as we were allowed to Westminster Hall, and it was humbling to see the amount of people queuing, also those already camping out for the funeral procession.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Hello everyone,

I have just updated my video to make reference to King Charles.

https://youtu.be/E6ks4iBpSdk

Of course, all the stats now are set back to zero!

If you like it, I'd be really grateful if you would help me by sharing on whatever social media you participate in.

Thanks

Viv
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Courtenay wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 16:55I'm glad to know, though, that the Queen's actual burial will be at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, next to her beloved Prince Philip, in a private service with only her closest family present. An appropriate ending and I'm sure it will be a relief for them to have some privacy at last, too.
     Courtenay, are you referring there to the second service held inside Windsor Castle, after the long journey from Westminster Abbey? But I'm not sure it was entirely private, because it was shown on television, including the coffin lowering into the floor. I saw it, so I know it was publicly visible. Or are you referring to yet another service where television was excluded?
     (For those who are aware from previous posts of mine that I do not own a television, I was able to see this because I visited a friend who came originally from England, who was thus interested to watch it, and I joined her for that.)
     As for being a relief to finally have some privacy, I really felt for King Charles, grieving for his mother, and yet having to perform kingly duties so soon, and in the glare of the public eye. What relief it will be for him when he can finally grieve in private or with those closest to him.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Michael, there was another service in the evening, around 7 or 7.30 I think. That was just immediate family and wasn't broadcast.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member