Winchester

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Maria Elena
Favourite book/series: The five find outers
Favourite character: Kiki

Winchester

Post by Maria Elena »

Hi everyone! I'm Maria Esther's sister (Machupicchu) and you probably don't remember me well since I have only written very sporadically on the forum. Last time you all gave me great suggestions of places to visit in Hampshire!

I have now graduated (studied medicine at Southampton) and I am working at Southampton but living in Winchester. The surrounding countryside is full of Blytonesque places, and I am having lots of fun exploring it and imagining myself to be a character in one of her books (one is never too old for that!).

What I wanted to say is, I have been living in England soon for my sixth year and yet have not had the chance to attend any society event or meet any of you.

I was wondering if some of you might fancy a meet up in Winchester, perhaps a gentle walk and Blytonesque picnic in St Catherine's Hill, or down by the Itchen River to Shawford? Or, if you prefer to stay within the city itself, Wolvesey Castle right at the heart of Winchester is a perfect spot for a picnic, and not frequented by many tourist, so quite peaceful :)
And, as a bonus, there are a few lovely bookshops around.

No rush in organising anything, I am going to live here for the next two years. And if any of you is passing by and wants to meet for a cup of tea, feel free to message me.
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Winchester

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad you're living in such a lovely place, Maria Elena, and that you're making the most of it. I've been to Winchester twice - once in the winter of 2019 with my dad when the Christmas Market was on, and once in the spring of 2021 with my daughter and her boyfriend, when we took a stroll which followed in the footsteps of Romantic poet John Keats. I'd certainly try my best to come to any meet-up.

Congratulations on graduating in medicine, by the way!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Yes - I'll come. I love Winchester!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Maria Elena
Favourite book/series: The five find outers
Favourite character: Kiki

Post by Maria Elena »

If you come tell me and I'll be more than happy to meet up with you!
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)