Model Railway

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Stonehenge

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Last year the evening of the mid-winter solstice was clear but cold, so I decided to go to Stonehenge to indulge my inner pagan. I knew that there was no public access inside the stones, and that because the Earth’s tilt has altered, I wouldn’t really see the stones do their thing, but that didn’t seem to matter.

The previous time I visited, I found myself hauling on a rope attached to a large stone, on which Julian Richards the archaeologist was stood. When he yelled “Heave” the combined muscle power of 100+ assorted international tourists easily rolled the stone on pine logs. Ropes were attached to an A-frame, and it was then possible to topple the stone into a pit, making it stand upright. Later, in the gift shop, I persuaded myself that what was missing from my life was a build-your-own miniature model of the stones for £7.25. You could set it up to the modern alignment and enjoy the solstice from the comfort of your own home!

But no, I wanted to be there in person. This time Julian Richards was in prime position with his film crew for the sunset, and when questioned, he happily explained why Stonehenge isn’t really a henge – but that’s another story. It struck me that only the high priests (and modern archaeologists!) would ever have had the very best vantage point. The thousands of others who were said to be there in ancient times could only have seen a lovely sunset, if it wasn’t raining/foggy/snow etc!

So, I had a good spot near the heel stone, and in deference of the bring-your-own-pig party that would have been held there BC, I happily chomped on a sausage roll. My fellow pilgrims were an eclectic lot; a boy dressed as Harry Potter, a young man who I suspected had autism and wore a purple wizard outfit wandered off to the southern side from where he muttered incantations, there were druids dancing to fiddle and drum, and a 5k run where the neon-lycra-clad runners who had timed it right, ran up The Avenue just as the sun was setting. What was surely unchanged was the quiet babble from the plethora of languages of the thousand pilgrims who had come to see the phenomena, along with a baby crying.

So, what to do with my miniature Stonehenge model? The weather forecast says there will be rain on the solstice tomorrow, so I won’t be able to find out if it works.

Just maybe there will be a space for part of it on the switching layout of my railway! 8)

Happy Solstice! :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Model Railway

Post by pete9012S »

Sounds like a result Viv!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Viv Wrote:
John and I visited the World of Stonehenge exhibition at the British Museum back in the spring.
By way of homework, here he is assembling the model on the train to London!

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great story Viv. Thanks for sharing. :D

Incorporating Stonehenge into the model railway would be a fab idea.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

There is just a chance that I might take delivery of my suitcase railway this week. :D

I had not been ‘chasing up’ because my family have had a bad start to the year, with mum and step-father each having over a week in hospital with lurgy (ie not flu or covid) and needing a lot of looking after as we adapt to the new normal.

So, I chased up on Wednesday, then went to see what was happening. I walked out of the workshop trying to work out why it looked so wrong – then realised that the track had been laid on the baseboard 180 wrong! The track needs repositioning and my Green Man needs fixing behind the tree.

The observant and long-of-memory may recall seeing glimpses of my Green Man carving in earlier photos. He represents the ancient spirits of European woods and forests and his likeness is carved in numerous Norman cathedrals across England. Since The Magic Faraway Tree is the oldest and most magic tree in the world, I felt it appropriate that the deeper magic that Blyton surely had read about was represented, with him quietly observing in the background. :mrgreen:

Less common is a female Green Man, but I bought one in the gift shop of Salisbury Cathedral last year. I think she will go in the lower level, looking out at the Enchanted Wood at night. 8)

Sad to say the nephew-the-younger (age 13) has lost interest; the new Hornby TT sets still aren’t in stock and he has spent his birthday money intended for the railway on a BB gun. :cry:

Which means that the better bits from the auction I kept for him under my bed can be requisitioned by me. :) :)

The amount of stuff in my lounge now fills 16 green cardboard veg boxes from Lidls, and 4 mushroom boxes. And the tool box. And the bits under my bed. And other bits around the carpet cos they haven’t been allocated a box yet… :roll:

This weekend I’ve been going through it all and re-sorting it out, trying to remember what each thing was for, and I’m glad to report that there is very little I’ve regretted getting. I did manage to buy a duplicate steam-punk teapot this week (50p) but it can go back to the charity shop gratis!

Come the glorious day I collect the suitcase, I think that I will make a start on the switching layout so that trains can be seen to be running. Uncle will visit in 10 days time so I’d like to have something to show for his generous birthday present! 8)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Viv, I enjoyed reading your update.

I hope your family are feeling better now.

A shame that nephew-the-younger has outgrown the railway - hopefully once yours is up and running he will realise what he's missing and maybe get back into it. :)

Wow, that's a lot of bits and pieces you've collected, I can't wait to see pictures when everything is in its proper place. :)
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Hi Pete - I have a suitcase in the back of the car! Shall write about it over the weekend.

Meanwhile, can you think of a way to upload this video of a test in the workshop of a train travelling at full speed around the loop?

Thanks

Viv
Hi Viv - Hope this works!

Best Wishes

Pete

another link:

train travelling at full speed around the loop
https://imgur.com/a/uHDlGfy
Last edited by pete9012S on 19 Mar 2023, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Thanks Pete - suitcase now lugged in (where is a friendly porter when you need one :lol: )

Busy gloating - may be late for bellringing...

Viv
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That looks excellent Viv. Well done. I can’t wait to see it with all the finished details.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Can’t see the video. It says it has been archived.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Apologies Nigel - I hope this works - Choo Choo! :D
https://imgur.com/a/uHDlGfy

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Viv:

The Green Man in the suitcase lid

With the tree in front

Here is my lady green man. I hope my aunt will paint her later this week.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, Pete!
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Since taking delivery of the suitcase, I have been busy with visiting relatives.

To be honest, they had come to see the parents, not admire my railway!

However, not one to let an opportunity pass me by, I got out my arty stuff and persuaded them to all do a little bit of painting - pictures to follow (thanks Pete!)

For ages I had been wondering how to do the trunk of the tree. Should I make it round with a tube? or clad it in ancient yew tree bark??

What was clear is that my figures needed to be able to ‘climb’ the tree. For the moment I have found a way to balance beer mats on the tree so that several figures can stand at three different levels.

The train side isn’t so good. It all works, but the wagons are constantly de-coupling and driving me nuts because N Gauge is so small and fiddly. John is now researching magnetic coupling.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Viv Wrote:

Small stations by my mum, uncle and brother (he has even painted a wisteria on the walls!)

The lady Green Man painted by my aunt on the theme of ‘Moonlight’.

The Magic Faraway Tree painted by my sister

Tree with beer mats and figures

Lower – Silky and Fanny
Middle – Mr Watzisname and Jo
Upper – Moonface and Bessie

Society Member