Judith Durham RIP

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Judith Durham RIP

Post by Lucky Star »

I am saddened to hear of the death of Judith Durham, lead singer of The Seekers. Fabulous songs and a beautiful voice. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Re: Judith Durham RIP

Post by GloomyGraham »

Sad news. An icon in the 60s with her clear melodic voice.

Songs written for her by Tom Springfield (brother of Dusty) like 'I Know I'll Never Find Another You' and 'Georgy Girl' and by Paul Simon 'Someday One Day' and songs written later such as 'I Am Australian' (written by another Seeker, Bruce Woodley) that she turned into her own when she re-joined the group in the 1990s. That latter song has often been suggested as a new national anthem for Australia.

Those of you unfamiliar with her might want to google/youtube some of those songs.

Vale Judith. 'Open Up Them Pearly Gates'.
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Yes 'Gloomy Graham' she is an important part of Australia's music history. The horrid part of getting old is the passing on of so many people of the 'best memories' of your early years. I can't believe Judith Durham has passed. My family loved Judith & The Seekers and played their music over and over for years. I wonder how many young people even know who Judith Durham and the Seekers are?? I hope her music will still be played for a long time yet.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Judith had one of the best voices of all the female singers of her time. So very,very sad. R.I.P. Judith.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Oh that is so sad Luck Star. R.I.P

I loved this song so much when I was little:

The Seekers - Emerald City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DenURFBzWWs
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sad news. Judith Durham had a wonderful voice and 'I'll Never Find Another You' has always been one of my favourites.
Aussie Sue wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 12:10I can't believe Judith Durham has passed. My family loved Judith & The Seekers and played their music over and over for years. I wonder how many young people even know who Judith Durham and the Seekers are?? I hope her music will still be played for a long time yet.
Because of the internet, I think the young people of today are more in touch with the music of previous generations than ever before. My children are now 27 and 22 but ever since they started taking an interest in pop music I've played a little game with them where we each take it in turns to pick a song on YouTube and listen to each other's choices, giving our opinions and sharing what we know about the singer or group, and perhaps explaining what that particular song means to us.

I've played the same game a few times with my daughter and her three housemates recently, all in their late 20s or early 30s (usually my son, aged 22, has been there too). Last time I picked songs by Boston ('More Than a Feeling'), The Isley Brothers ('Behind a Painted Smile') and Meat Loaf (I forget which track), all of which everyone knew and liked. Between them, the others have chosen a real mixture of songs from across the decades, including tracks by Eurythmics, Abba, The Human League, The Beatles, Herman's Hermits, The Mamas & the Papas, Maroon 5, Taylor Swift, Chris de Burgh, Elton John, The Carpenters, Ed Sheeran, Michael Bublé, Blondie, Adele, Boney M, Buddy Holly and Pink Floyd.

When she was in her teens, my daughter went to a Motown Night with me at the local theatre and she's also been to several 1980s concerts and 1980s-themed disco nights over the years, with her friends.

So anything goes these days, and I expect songs by Judith Durham and the Seekers will continue to be played, enjoyed and valued!

RIP Judith.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

The one thing that can be said of Judith Durham is that she had a wonderful voice.
Sadly, her Carnival is now Over.

RIP Judith.
Last edited by Barnard on 06 Aug 2022, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I am really sorry to hear that sad news as I have always loved Judith Durham and The Seekers, whose songs are part and parcel of my childhood. By strange coincidence I thought of one of their songs (The Whistling Gypsy) yesterday and intended listening to it on You Tube, but was occupied with other things and did not get around to it. RIP Judith and thank you for the music
Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Aussie Sue wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 12:10 I wonder how many young people even know who Judith Durham and the Seekers are??
Even for me - the Seekers were 'ok but Mum & Dad music' (particularly since they disbanded for many years) but when they re-formed in the 90s I realised how good they were.

And I'm sure (perhaps just due to things like the ABC theme-tune during covid) even young Aussie kids are familiar with 'I am Australian'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh9DusRmM-0
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

GloomyGraham wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 14:30
Aussie Sue wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 12:10 I wonder how many young people even know who Judith Durham and the Seekers are??
things like the ABC theme-tune during covid) even young Aussie kids are familiar with 'I am Australian'.
oops sorry - my link above was not the covid theme - it's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY_tl-N93AY

and here is a Judith & Seekers link to the same song (and more):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYEskzWt6I
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Now I really am showing my age, I don't think of youtube for music, I will in future. (I do use it for nature/wildlife animal shows.) Gloomy Graham I think I am probably your parents age!!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Awwww :( Definitely more my parents' generation than mine, but like Anita says, younger people listen to "older" music as well — we always did at home, even before the internet made it so much easier! — and I grew up on so many of the Seekers' hits and absolutely loved Judith's voice. I used to practise singing along with her songs when I was little to train my own voice and still know a lot of them by heart! Years later, I read a biography of her and was deeply moved by her life story and especially her support for her husband, who sadly died young of motor neurone disease. RIP Judith... we will definitely "never find another you".
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

She had such a very distinctive voice and The Seekers had some very good songs. I must revisit their collection, not heard any for a while now. I see she has been battling for a long time with chronic lung disease. Hopefully, she is now in the Emerald City.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Aussie Sue wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 12:10 I wonder how many young people even know who Judith Durham and the Seekers are?? I hope her music will still be played for a long time yet.
While I wouldn't call myself young (49), the Seekers were certainly before my time. But I've always had a fair interest in old music. I first heard (and really liked) The Carnival is Over aged about 17 via the compilation cassette album Hooked On Number Ones! I've a feeling that Judith Durham herself was one of the session singers on it.

I'll admit I hadn't heard I'll Never Find Another You until only a few years ago, and that was thanks to the Internet. But my goodness, that song is pop perfection! It's amazing...

R.I.P. Judith Durham
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Yeah, I'm similar, Stephen.
I'll be 44 soon and The Seekers were also 'before my time', but I like plenty of groups from the 60's onwards and enjoy listening some of their songs as well. I prefer 60's and 70's groups like The Stones, The Who, Eagles, etc - but there's times when I really feel like listening to the many quality songs by the likes of The Seekers, Steeleye Span, Abba...
When I go visit my mum and dad (which I do even more regularly now that I'm a part-time carer as my mum is struggling physically), they've often got channel 7 on Freeview which plays a lot of songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's and The Seekers are one of those that are on regularly. It's got them really enjoying their music again seeing them so frequently - so the news of her death really upset them having been enjoying her 'in her prime' every day.
Society Member