Home-Making, DIY, Furniture

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Home-Making, DIY, Furniture

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

My last trip to IKEA was a hassle. I didn't have an internet connection for a few months after moving to my flat so I decided to visit my nearest IKEA in person, pick out the bookcases I wanted and have them delivered. On arrival I found that all customers had to start on the fourth floor and go round the shop by a set route, passing through every section. I only wanted bookcases! I thought I might as well pick up an up-to-date catalogue while I was there so I looked for one at the start of the route but was told that catalogues were only available on the ground floor! When I eventually reached the warehouse where the bookcases were stored, the ones I wanted weren't in stock so I had to go home and wait until I had an internet connection so I could order online!

On the positive side, the furniture I've bought from IKEA over the years has lasted well. Stuff I had at my old house still looked like new after more than twenty years (bookcases, other shelving units, a coffee table and a dining table and chairs), despite being particle board and veneer rather than solid wood. All those items are still in that house now, in daily use, and I expect they'll be around for a long time yet.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 12 May 2022, 17:18 My last trip to IKEA was a hassle. I didn't have an internet connection for a few months after moving to my flat so I decided to visit my nearest IKEA in person, pick out the bookcases I wanted and have them delivered. On arrival I found that all customers had to start on the fourth floor and go round the shop by a set route, passing through every section. I only wanted bookcases!
The one I visited most recently was like that too (it was Warrington; there's a slightly nearer one to me at Ashton-under-Lyne, but they didn't have all the items I wanted in stock that time). I guess they want us all to see as much of their furniture as possible and all the wonderful things we too could do with it if only we would buy it, but I already knew exactly which pieces I wanted and I found it extremely annoying and tiring to have to walk all that long way to get to the warehouse section!! :roll:

They do have a click and collect option, but for my most recent purchases, I'm glad I paid extra for delivery, as they really would have been too long to fit in my quite small car and too heavy for me to move on my own. I will be embarking on my next DIY bookcase adventure in due course...
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 12 May 2022, 17:18 On the positive side, the furniture I've bought from IKEA over the years has lasted well. Stuff I had at my old house still looked like new after more than twenty years (bookcases, other shelving units, a coffee table and a dining table and chairs), despite being particle board and veneer rather than solid wood. All those items are still in that house now, in daily use, and I expect they'll be around for a long time yet.
I've found that too — I've had several IKEA items over the years, particularly their bookcases, and they really do last well and are very practical, so to me they're worth the money and the effort in putting them together. (You can also pay to have someone assemble them for you, of course, but I'm trying to save money — and besides, I quite enjoy the challenge. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I even enjoy wandering around Ikea looking at all the 'rooms' set up... :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think I'd enjoy walking round IKEA if I was going to have a look around, possibly with a view to purchasing something, or maybe just getting some general ideas - especially if there were room set ups for inspiration.

However, I'd find it very frustrating if I'd gone to the shop for a specific purchase and then had to traipse through lots of other areas first without an option of a shortcut.

I'm just thankful supermarkets aren't set out like that - imagine popping into Sainsbury's on your way home from work to pick up a loaf of bread or some frozen peas, and being forced to walk up and down all the other aisles along the way!
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 12 May 2022, 17:18 My last trip to IKEA was a hassle. I didn't have an internet connection for a few months after moving to my flat so I decided to visit my nearest IKEA in person, pick out the bookcases I wanted and have them delivered. On arrival I found that all customers had to start on the fourth floor and go round the shop by a set route, passing through every section. I only wanted bookcases!
I know the feeling. I'm grateful that I can enter on the first upper floor and then walk swiftly through it to go to the ground floor where the bookcases are located (in our local IKEA market).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Much as I love the products I've bought from IKEA, I can't help chuckling at 'I Fear IKEA' by the Lancashire Hotpots (I'm sure we've had a link to the song before but it deserves to be in this thread!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhywI7ZznI

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: I was just thinking of posting that... and now I listen to the bit about "hours stuck on t' M62", I have a feeling they must be referring specifically to the store in Warrington, which is the one I've just recently been to. It matches the descriptions exactly!! :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I was in an IKEA store around the age of 25 for the first time as there isn't one near the region I grew up - the closest one is in Switzerland (Zurich) and then near Stuttgart 1,5 hours away.
Students moving to Constance were always shocked there was no IKEA :lol:.

I've never bought anything big there even though I've been there two or three times in the last ~10 years. There is now a store in my town but it wasn't there when I moved here and I brought most of my furniture from my old flat in Constance anyway. But I like the Köttbullar in the restaurant :D.
Society Member
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

-
Last edited by Anne Gracie on 30 Sep 2023, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

-
Last edited by Anne Gracie on 30 Sep 2023, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I've never been to an IKEA as there are none anywhere near here but I have bought bought the Billy bookcases. Not to store books though but to convert into hamster cages! In past years I used to keep many various hamster breeds for hobby showing and adapted Billy cases made perfect space saving cages. They've now long gone but I still have the last one I made which I've turned back into a bookcase. Very versatile things they are!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: That's possibly the most creative and "different" use I've ever heard of for a piece of IKEA furniture!! :wink:

My own IKEA construction efforts are currently on hold, as I'm going to need some help with a couple of the bigger pieces — especially putting the glass doors on the Billy bookcases in my living room to make display cabinets — and the friend who's offered to help (and who fortunately is a very experienced handyman) has only just got back from a holiday, just as I'm about to go on holiday myself! So it can all wait till I get back from the Lake District!! :D
Society Member

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well I can finally tick a visit to IKEA off my 'places to visit' list. ;)

I have to say I was 'underwhelmed' by the experience, and by the end had pretty much lost interest. On the positive side, I can see the attraction of the Billy bookcases, and think it's a good idea that they are available in several different configurations.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Glad you survived to tell the tale, Katharine! :wink:

Not long after moving to my flat, I happened to pick up several pieces of secondhand teak furniture which were by the maker 'Nathan' (it was just a coincidence that I managed to find matching pieces as they all came from different charity shops). My daughter keeps joking that I have two men in my life - Billy and Nathan! :lol:

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

:lol: :lol:
Society Member