Surnames

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Surnames

Post by Boatbuilder »

Nigel, I assume you are referring to the second link I posted.

After your surname search and the list of surnames and its variations comes up, click on your name and at the top of the next page that comes up click on 'Distribution'. This then brings up a map of the world. If you then click on England (or whatever country you want) on either the map or using the 'world' drop-down menu at the bottom of the map, this brings up a map of England (or whatever) with a list of the name distribution throughout the country. You can also hover your mouse over each county and the details for there shows at the top right of the map. The two maps below are what I get for my surname.

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, Boatbuilder - I get it now My surname is at number 8 in Cornwall!
Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

Mine came up as Cornwall, followed by Devon - which matches my own and my relatives' family research in past decades. Our own family originally (eighteenth century) came from the Launceston area of E Cornwall and then moved to Plymouth, but other relatives live around western Cornwall, Bodmin Moor, and Okehampton near Dartmoor. I'm not sure about the third-ranking county , Hampshire, though - I live there but I'm unaware of any other relatives who do.
Society Member
Wayne Pyer-Tyglas
Favourite book/series: Adventure
Favourite character: Bill Smugs

Post by Wayne Pyer-Tyglas »

Jomo wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 10:12
Katharine wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 09:40 …the Welsh have a specific word (I can't remember what) to describe a feeling of belonging to a specific area.
Is it this one?
Hiraeth is a Welsh word that… seems to be a rather multi-layered word, which includes a different variety of homesickness than what is generally referred to. This kind of homesickness is like a combination of the homesickness, longing, nostalgia, and yearning, for a home that you cannot return to, no longer exists, or maybe never was. It can also include grief or sadness for who or what you have lost, losses which make your “home” not the same as the one you remember
https://sites.psu.edu/kielarpassionblo ... 2/hiraeth/
Hi Jomo. Yes, Hiraeth is the right word.
Living in an Enid Blyton world.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 09:40 Apparently the Welsh have a specific word (I can't remember what) to describe a feeling of belonging to a specific area.
Doesn't the English word, belongingness, sum it up rather well, or does that primarily refer to human groups?
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm not sure. I've just looked it up and it's defined as a feeling of belonging to a particular group. Appropriate for maybe describing being a member of the Enid Blyton Society, but personally, the word I was searching for denotes a feeling of belonging to a particular place. A call of the environment/nature. Some might say it's a spiritual feeling.
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

The Welsh word 'hiraeth' translates to 'nostalgia' in English in Google translate.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Oh that's interesting, as it certainly wasn't nostalgia I felt when I first set foot at West Stow and Sutton Hoo, as I'd never been there before. ;)
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

No, that's not the word, I agree, Katharine. I always felt I was home when visiting the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall. It just felt as if I belonged there. It wasn't until much later that I discovered all of my paternal relations came from Cury. That wasn't nostalgia, it was a sense of belonging. For that reason, I will stick with 'belongingness'.
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I don't think it's the right word, either. I only posted it in view of the translation.

Maybe we have to gve Nigel full marks for his word. I just pulled this up:

https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/anoth ... nging.html

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 18:34 No, that's not the word, I agree, Katharine. I always felt I was home when visiting the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall. It just felt as if I belonged there. It wasn't until much later that I discovered all of my paternal relations came from Cury. That wasn't nostalgia, it was a sense of belonging. For that reason, I will stick with 'belongingness'.
That's really interesting. I've visited the west of the country, and although I can appreciate it's beauty, for me it's just an interesting place to visit for a holiday, but I couldn't imagine myself being there permanently.

I reckon there could be something in this 'Hiraeth/belongingness'.
Society Member
Wayne Pyer-Tyglas
Favourite book/series: Adventure
Favourite character: Bill Smugs

Post by Wayne Pyer-Tyglas »

Moonraker wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 14:42
Katharine wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 09:40 Apparently the Welsh have a specific word (I can't remember what) to describe a feeling of belonging to a specific area.
Doesn't the English word, belongingness, sum it up rather well, or does that primarily refer to human groups?
Hi Nigel. To say someone is belonging, is to say that they are family or related to you.
Living in an Enid Blyton world.
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Wayne Pyer-Tyglas wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 11:07 Hi Nigel. To say someone is belonging, is to say that they are family or related to you.
Not necessarily, Wayne.

I think Nigel got it spot-on as I indicated in my previous post.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, BB. Yes, I am sure you can feel a sense of belonging to areas as much as people.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Fascinating Nigel!
Last edited by pete9012S on 28 Mar 2022, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member