RIP Shirley Hughes

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

RIP Shirley Hughes

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm very sorry to hear that author and illustrator Shirley Hughes has died, aged 94. Her artwork and stories have brought great pleasure to so many people.

I first came across her charming illustrations in Dorothy Edwards' My Naughty Little Sister books as a small child and I loved looking at the expressions on the little sister's face. Shirley Hughes captured her in all her moods - mischievous, sulky, cross, shy, beaming with joy, etc. I had some paperbacks illustrated by her too, e.g. The Runaway Summer by Nina Bawden.

Later on I read some of Shirley Hughes' own picture books to my children and also read one of her novels for older children, Hero on a Bicycle, which tells the story of a brave boy and his family in occupied Florence in 1944.

When Tony and I were invited to the archives of Seven Stories in 2013, we were lucky enough to be shown some of Shirley Hughes' original artwork.

A few months ago I bought her autobiography, A Life Drawing, from a secondhand bookshop in London. It's a beautiful book and I'm delighted to have it.

RIP Shirley Hughes.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: RIP Shirley Hughes

Post by Lucky Star »

I don't think I know her work at all, I don't recognise any of the books or stories Anita mentions. But it's always sad to lose someone who has clearly brought so much joy and memories to so many people. RIP Shirley Hughes.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Shirley Hughes did the line drawings for an Enid Blyton book, Father Christmas and Belinda.

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

I liked reading the My Naughty Little Sister series and her illustrations.
R.I.P. Shirley.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I have a couple of books with illustrations by Shirley Hughes and I read many of her books when I worked in public libraries. Her pictures are always a delight; she was one of the best children's book illustrators of recent times.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I am not really familiar with her work, but nevertheless sorry to hear about her passing. RIP Shirley Hughes.
Society Member
Susie9598

Post by Susie9598 »

I loved the Naughty Little Sister when I was small, and the illustrations were a big part of why the stories were so captivating. Didn’t the naughty little sister have little bunches that stuck out either side of her head? I seem to remember. And then when I grew up, I read the Alfie and Annie Rose stories to my own girls. Thank you Shirley Hughes. She had a genius for capturing the reality of little children.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, the naughty little sister did have bunches and I liked that because my sister and I also used to wear our hair in bunches!

When my daughter was in primary school, one of her friends used to love looking at my bookcases and would sometimes borrow a book - though she never chose an Enid Blyton, sadly. The first books she borrowed were the My Naughty Little Sister ones.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Dogger was one of the most emotional books I ever read as a child! :cry:

R.I.P. Shirley Hughes
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

We were big fans of Alfie and Annie Rose, Lucy and Tom and Dogger in our house. I even had my very own Bonting for a while. I'm now reading the Alfie books to Brodie.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, I loved Dogger when I was little — I never had an incident of losing a favourite toy when I was little, but I could imagine the horror of it happening, and I'm sure plenty of other young readers could relate to that story as well! Shirley Hughes' illustrations were always just beautiful and delightful. A very sad loss, but a "good innings" as my mum would say! RIP.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)