Ukraine

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Re: Ukraine

Post by Aussie Sue »

Thanks for your post Viv. An excellent example of the wonderful Enid Blyton which really counters those awful writings of what an awful person she is supposed to have been. Children/adults who were influenced by reading Enid Blyton would never grow up thinking, what Russia is doing is okay.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Back in 2019 when I was interviewed for a programme on Radio 5 (that thankfully wasn't broadcast) the other interviewee demanded to know why EB hadn't written about refugees. I was rather taken aback - trying to think why an author hadn't written about something (!)

I then remembered this passage, which I think is amongst her most powerful writing. She explains horrible adult war in terms that children can understand. Furthermore, she helps them to feel empowered, that they can do something, and that Right is on their side.

(Not that the other interviewee was prepared to be impressed)

29 May 1940

I am so glad that every school is doing something to help. We have to hate all the evil things that Germany is doing now – but hatred is an evil thing in itself, so that is why at the same time we must do something kind and helpful so that our thoughts are not all of hatred and anger. This is why I am so pleased to get your lovely blankets and scarves, your parcels of silver paper, your letters full of friendship for the refugees and offers of more knitted things for them, and for the Red Cross.

We hate the cruelty of our enemies, but we must love and help those who are hurt and homeless. I often think of what I would feel like if I had to hurry away from my home with Gillian and little Imogen, stumbling down unknown roads in fear and terror and all our belongings left behind. Then I am glad I can help other mothers and their frightened children, and I know you are glad, too.
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Enid blanketed (pun intended) her young readers from war, although there were many mentions outside of 'The Adventurous Four' which was the only plot I think which involved 'the enemy' of the time.

A number of fathers in stories had either been killed in the war or suffered injuries though. And Greta the maid talked about how her family in Austria were 'all gone' now, allowing some readers to join the dots about what may have happened to them during WWII.

With the horrors of war, I'm wishing I could curl up with an exciting Enid adventure to help me forget for a short time about day-to-day events.
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

One finds oneself alternating between a numbness from the sheer impact on lives of this conflict and anger that the cost of it does nothing to resolve the dispute between the Russian leader and any neighbouring country only take innocent lives in Ukraine and increasingly incoherent threats to the rest of us.

We need to resolve our differences peacefully.

Have we in Europe learned anything from two World Wars?
Chris_jr
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door, Secret7, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Kit and Peter of Secret 7

Post by Chris_jr »

It's heartening to see a lot of people directly helping with humanitarian relief and bigger numbers giving generously to the appeals
"The eternal boy" tm
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

I made my donation to UNHCR today, will do the same every pension payday til this thing is over. If I feel they are not doing the best job I’ll find another established organisation to support.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Viv of Ginger Pop

I found this a very enlightening read - it's about the religious aspect of Ukraine to Putin

https://unherd.com/2022/02/putins-spiritual-destiny/

The author is Canon Giles Fraser, an Anglican priest in East London, a contributor to BBC's Moral Maze and occasional writer for The Guardian
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Viv, it certainly is an interesting perspective.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Just listened to a thought-provoking talk by historian Dr David Starkey. (It starts properly 3 mins in. Recorded by mobile phone!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF0mFymjFA4

He asks if the current generation of English would fight for their country, as the Ukrainians are doing now. It's a question I asked of myself when at the Ginger Pop Shop, surrounded by WW2 memorabilia.

I don't agree with everything he says, but that is the point; we need Freedom of Speech to be able to hear and ponder thinkers like him.

Viv
Viv of Ginger Pop

Tonight on BBC Question Time you may have seen Konstantin Kisin, and wondered who he is.

I prepared this comment last week, but decided not to post - but it now seems appropriate. I highly recommend the podcast, which was recorded on the morning of the invasion

Personal viewpoint
If you want to get a feel for what the heck is happening re Ukraine, I highly recommend this video from two of my favourite podcasters, known as Triggernometry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNnq8gMAE-8

The speaker, Konstantin Kisin, is a Ukrainian who went to school in Bristol and is now a British Citizen. He voted Remain and his politics are centrist.
His friend and interviewer is Francis Foster, whose mother is Venezualan, but he also has middle-eastern heritage. He was an English teacher in London, voted Remain and considers his politics as Left.
Both KK and FF had successful careers and stand-up comedians until falling foul of Wokeness, but have now made a success of their Triggernometry podcast, which always ends with the interviewee being asked what is the one thing we aren’t talking about that we really should be talking about?.

Viv
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Absolutely awful what's happening in Ukraine and all for nothing. It's really frightening that one man can do so much, no one being should have that kind of power. Like everyone else I feel very sorry for the people and fully agree with offering supplies but I pray Boris or anyone else doesn't feel pressurised into retaliating as it'd be like poking a hornet's nest. A hornet whose not afraid to start chucking bombs here there and everywhere and whose nest is ten times bigger than anyone else's.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

It is truly appalling, and how scary a thought that a country that on feb 23rd was as democratic and free as yours and mine, is today a warzone. I'm currently back in Oregon at my parents' house for the weekend, and our neighbors and good friends who we've known for 3 decades now are Ukrainian. We were talking to them yesterday, and how their elderly parents are in a city a little to the west of Kiev, currently relatively safe but scared and heartbroken for their country. I cannot imagine what this must feel like.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm also deeply troubled by the attack on Ukraine and have donated to the Red Cross in support, and will probably be contributing to other aid agencies too. My maternal grandparents were once refugees from that part of the world (my grandmother was Belarusian, my grandfather was Polish — both countries bordering on Ukraine) and my mum was born stateless in a displaced persons' camp, after WW2, so while my heart goes out to refugees all over the world, this crisis really hits home for me. But hardly anyone outside Russia is supporting what Putin is doing or trying to claim it's legitimate, and plenty of people even within Russia are protesting against him, at great risk to their freedom and even their lives.

Thanks for sharing Enid's words about supporting refugees, Viv — very moving and, as others have said, a part of her work that we don't often hear about.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viv of Ginger Pop

One of the books about WW2 I occasionally stocked in the Ginger Pop Shop was called How the Girl Guides Won the War.

They welcomed evacuees, knitted for refugees, fire-watched and numerous other jobs. In a ponderous local meeting about what a town should do if bombed, a patrol leader stood up and said something along the lines of "I can cook a meal for 30 in an hour if I have 12 house-bricks and a metal boot-scraper!" as indeed could any girl who had earned their Camper badge!

At the end of the war, a party of young guiders were amongst the first into one of the concentration camps.

So with this in mind, I have made my donation to the WAGGGS Appeal for Ukraine, knowing that Guides across Europe are doing their level best to help in the current crisis.

https://iwd.wagggs.org/p/emergencyappeal/

Viv
Viv of Ginger Pop

Hello folks,

I have a project in mind, and need a photo of people showing support for Ukraine.

It could be a demonstration, a collection point for Aid, or a vigil.

Please let me know if you have a suitable photo I can use.

Viv