Ukraine

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Ukraine

Post by Lucky Star »

I have no photo unfortunately but I have donated money. Great and inspirational story about the guides Viv.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

As have I. Yes, a really inspirational story, Viv.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I don't have a photo either, but my husband and I have donated money and if we decide to take part in a demonstration (we are a bit dubious due to the continued high rate of Covid infections) I will take a photo.
Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I've been to a few demonstrations during the pandemic and I think as long as you wear a mask (preferably FFP2) you should be quite safe as it is outdoors. I usually try to be at the side or at the back so I can keep a bit of a distance.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Hannah! Keeping to the rear or the side of the demonstration would definitely be safest and we always wear our FFP2 masks in crowded places, even outdoors.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I heard an interview with Cormac Smith, who was attached to the British Embassy in Kyiv for a few years. He makes it very clear just how evil this unprovoked invasion and war against Ukraine is. I just hope and pray it will end soon.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

Thanks Viv! I’m relying on coverage from DW News https://youtube.com/c/dwnews
France 24 English https://youtube.com/c/FRANCE24English
ABC - https://youtube.com/c/NewsOnABC though for several days of the invasion of Ukraine mainly reporting the devastating floods here. Mainly watching the commentary and analysis of the events.
BBC
During the Trump years and the Covid pandemic I learnt not to trust news from unknown or unestablished sources.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

My friend informed me yesterday (and I was able to confirm it today) about the missile attack by the Ukrainian forces on Donetsk, that has killed 20 civilians. It's horrifying to witness all of this and I do hope the governments will come to an agreement, and hopefully this time an agreement that both parties will respect (as unfortunately the Minsk agreements failed due to Ukraine not following its terms). It's just sad how this situation has at its roots NATO and US involvement in the country as well, following the coup d'etat. It's a pity too how all the crimes perpetrated against the people of the Donbass have all these years remained ignored. In the end it's always the people who pay the price for their government's actions. While I don't support military action in any way, I do not support the stance taken by Europe, the US or the Ukrainian government either. But I'm hopeful and optimistic that diplomacy will win in the end and that this unnecessary bloodshed will end. And hopefully from this people will become more aware of worldwide conflicts like the Palestinian struggle, the war in Yemen and Syria, etc. If we were quick to condemn Russia, then we should be just as quick to condemn countries like Israel, the US, etc when they violate human rights and international law.

I pray for peace, and that one day children will be able to grow up in a world of justice and peace. Sounds too utopian but I still hold confidence in the human race regardless of the atrocities one sees in the news each day.

I also keep myself updated and try to understand the whole situation by watching videos such as the ones I'm sharing below:

https://youtu.be/B0WQ64UD2Lg

https://youtu.be/2g95ndif134

I find it so courageous journalists like Rania Khalek are not afraid to stand up and present the truth! To be honest apart from this discussion this conflict with close friends and family who share my opinion, I won't lie when I say I am often worried and scared of sharing my views on this. :cry:

And while our opinions might in some way defer from each other I think we can all agree on something: we all want peace! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member