Bell Ringing

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: Bell Ringing

Post by Katharine »

Nice to see something positive about my hometown on the news - we actually know one of the bell ringers. :)

Unfortunately I was scheduled to work for the Queen's funeral, and couldn't get anyone to swap with me, so was only able to see part of it.

So as soon as I knew the date for the Coronation, I made sure I booked the weekend off - I shall listen out for the local bell ringing. :)
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I was asked to write up a special occasion on Monday - thought you'd like to read it

Thoughts about ringing for Commonwealth Day

When I was a Girl Guide, one of the few compulsory badges to become a Queen’s Guide was The Commonwealth Badge. With extensive projects about faraway places, it required a lot of research and writing, and back then I wasn’t inclined to do what looked like ever more homework! Yet the very fact the badge existed and we were encouraged to learn about those faraway places, gave us a perspective that the world was a bigger place than just our little village.

I see that now the Guides offer a Commonwealth Award, open to all members living in Commonwealth countries. They will learn that there are 16 principles of The Commonwealth Charter, which express the commitment of member states to the development of free and democratic societies and the promotion of peace and prosperity to improve the lives of all the people of The Commonwealth.

https://thecommonwealth.org/charter

For the Queen herself, this voluntary organisation of diverse nations, was her pride and joy. Those who are willing to believe that The Commonwealth is The Empire v2.0 are often surprised to learn that countries that were never colonised by the British are enthusiastic members. This year Togo and The Gabon in West Africa became members, joining Mozambique as former French colonies.

Rwanda has had a troubled history over the last century; colonised by Germany then Belgium, and the ghastly genocide. Yet it has also joined, receiving help with nation building, running elections and practical support for its Youth. Last year it hosted the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, becoming a focus of the world’s attention for all the right reasons. Today, in Westminster Abbey, the foreign minister from Rwanda read the lesson and their National Ballet stormed up the nave!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... h-day-2023

Also given a central role was a young lady from Samoa, who shares the King’s passion for the environment. Samoa is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and has half the population of South-East Dorset, yet through the Commonwealth they too will become centre stage next year, when they have their turn in hosting the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.

The Pacific nation of Nauru is the smallest Commonwealth member country with a population of about 13,000 which is about 3X the population of our village. The particular needs of small states are one of the principles of the Commonwealth charter; the organisation gives them a voice and a link with a network of friendly nations.

And, so it was on Commonwealth Day, on a dark damp evening, a small number of intrepid bellringers rang in our village church to celebrate 10 years of the Commonwealth Charter. Across the globe in faraway places, others were doing the same, celebrating an organisation which has become such a force for good in the world.

Viv

(Hmm – looks like I’ve just done some homework on The Commonwealth – can I now have my badge, please?)
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a fascinating read Viv. I was under the impression that the Commonwealth was just made up of former countries from The British Empire.

I did take my Commonwealth Badge - I think it was the last one I passed, on my 16th birthday, which meant I'd passed everything I needed to gain my Queen's Guide Award. I can't remember anything about what I had to research for it though, I have better memories of the other badges I took, ie Knitters, Cyclist and Flower Arrangers to name but a few. As I never throw anything away, I expect the project/essay or whatever it was I did is somewhere in my loft - maybe I'll have a sort out one day and come across it!

I definitely think you should apply for a backdated Commonwealth Badge from the Girl Guides. ;)
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Players of the Caption Competition will know that a few weeks ago I had to pull out of a Quarter Peal because of the lurgy.

Tower Captain re-scheduled it for today, but it was only last week that I learnt that this time I wasn't ringing treble (the lightest) for 45 mins, but the tenor, which in our tower is slightly under 8 hundredweight.

Thus I have been doing extra swimming and inviting myself to practices at other towers in order to find the bicep/tricep I once possessed.

Today has been freezing mist weather wise (the frosted spider's webs have been spectacular) and we arrived at a stone church where the heating hadn't been switched on, save the electric fan heater tower captain had brought along. So I was surprised when the other ringers took off their warm coats AND jumpers, but I was assured that we would warm up! Not totally convinced, I kept my Christmas Pudding shaped woolly hat on, so was warm enough apart from my feet.

We succeeded, and it was all the more special because we were all strongly associated with the tower. Sadly, three of them are moving out of the area, two because they can't afford rental prices here.

Perhaps we should have dedicated the QP to the plight of the homeless in rural England.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad you got to ring the Quarter Peal, Viv, even if you did have to train for it!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

The consultation on the 2003 UNESCO Convention for Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage closes on 29th February 2024

As a church bell-ringer, I immediately thought that change-ringing needs protection, especially having seen how the police now deal with Gospel Singers and Street Preachers!
  • Can you think of something special to your local area or country?
  • Could it be a local tradition that would benefit from some level of protection?
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... l-heritage