R.I.P Clive Cussler-Raise The Titanic-Dirk Pitt

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

R.I.P Clive Cussler-Raise The Titanic-Dirk Pitt

Post by pete9012S »

R.I.P Clive Cussler
(July 15, 1931 – February 24, 2020)

Somehow missed this sad news. I have been an avid collector and reader of his books over the years.
I corresponded with him and he sent me some genuine signed draft pages of the previous book he had then released.
A true gent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Cussler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I will have to re-read Treasure from 1988 which was the first book I read by him - If you like high adventure with history and thrills and spills I'm sure you would enjoy his work..
Farewell to a friend, Clive Cussler
He was an author, an adventurer and ambassador for the car collecting hobby. He also was my friend
https://journal.classiccars.com/2020/02 ... e-cussler/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: R.I.P Clive Cussler-Raise The Titanic-Dirk Pitt

Post by Lucky Star »

Very interesting Pete. He was quite a guy, setting up NUMA to find lost ships and collecting classic cars. I too read his books avidly up to about ten years ago when I stopped. I did so because I began to feel that many of them were not so good anymore, probably as a result of all the collaborations he was doing with other writers. I did hear that he was just providing ideas and the others were doing most of the writing! No idea how true that is but certainly there was a noticeable drop off in quality between his earlier self penned books and the later collaborative ones.

I also got fed up with is constant product placements. He was obviously getting a lot of money for advertising certain products in his books. But when he dies a few months ago my local library did a big RIP display and had lots of his best books on a special table.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member