Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
dsr

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Post by dsr »

It might be time to rename it to avoid undue worry. After all, Spanish flu is still endemic and sometimes very common; so is scarlet fever. But neither are anything like as serious as they once were, and one is renamed as "a cold" and the other as "scarletina" so that people aren't unduly frightened.

It's not that covid can't still hurt people, because of course it can; but it isn't anything lie as lethal as it was.
DSR
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Interesting that these illnesses have been renamed in English. That's not the case in German. We've got "Grippe" and "grippaler Infekt" - the first is influenza caused by an influenza virus, the second is a common cold, maybe with a fever (though many people mix them up which leads to them underestimating how bad an infection with an influenza virus can be). Spanish flu was "Spanische Grippe" and is still called like that. As far as I know scarlet fever has always been "Scharlach" (as it is known today).

Covid isn't as lethal as it was but there's still the risk of long term effects. These do exist after other infections too - and have been mostly ignored by everyone not affected, including doctors and researchers - but I think it's more common after Covid. I'm not scared of dying of Covid (being comparably young and well vaccinated) but I'm certainly worried about LongCovid/PostCovid.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'd forgotten that the German for flu is Grippe - I always found that fascinating as I felt that it was a good description, ie being gripped by a nasty illness.

I do think a lot of people use the term flu to describe a nasty cold. I've only had 'proper' flu twice in my life and it was a lot worse than even the nastiest colds I've ever had.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I do think a lot of people use the term flu to describe a nasty cold. I've only had 'proper' flu twice in my life and it was a lot worse than even the nastiest colds I've ever had.
That is so true. A cold can be anything between a slight sniffle or a full-blown torrent of misery and constant sneezing and nose-blowing, coupled with a persistent cough. To be off work with a cold, people will always says, "he's only got a cold...". Like you, I have only had 'flu once or twice. I remember my wife changing sheets in the night as I had soaked them in perspiration. :shock:
Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I've never had flu but I know people who had it - they mainly state two things:
1. Someone who downplays a Covid infection saying "it's just a flu" has never had an infection with influenza.
2. They are getting the vax every year now. (The latter one includes my GP.)

I plan to get both the vaccines against Covid (the new adapted one) and against influenza in the next few weeks. It's no perfect protection against either but should at least be helpful and lead to a milder disease.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Boatbuilder wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 17:03
Monique, has your husband also previously had Covid? If so, as you say, it will be interesting to know what his GP recommends. Is he with a different practise?
I did not forget your question John, but my husband did not see his GP until today. When he asked her about the vaccination situation she immediately recommended a Covid 'jab and a 'flu jab, despite the fact that he has already had three Covid vaccinations as well as been Covid positive in June of last year. In view of that advice I will have to talk to my GP again...mind you, she did not refuse to give me the 'jab, but merely said that she would not recommend it.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's very interesting to hear differing advice, although possibly it may be dependent on your individual circumstances.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Thanks for remembering about your husband's Covid jab, Monique. I am surprised you have only had three so far. As I said in an earlier post, Iwill be having my seventh in early October. Of course it may be something to do with the age groups as you are younger than me. How is your husband now, is he improving on the earlier days of leaving hospital?

The Covid cases this week in England were down on last week's, but that may be due to a reporting issue for which I received an email earler this evening from the UKHSA explaining the problem as I queried it with them last night when they were 2 to 3 days short on their reported data. They hope to rectify the issue next week. That aside, I doubt there would have been much change on last week had the extra days been reported, so maybe that is a promising sign that it's not spreading as fast as initially indicated. Of course, only time will tell.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks John! Mind you, we are not a great deal younger than you are...only about a decade, so I doubt that age played a role.

While my husband is much better than he was before his hospital stay he is still far from recovered and very immobile, which was the main reason for his visit to the GP today. However, she seemed to think he is making progress and told him he will just have to be patient, as such treatment takes time. She prescribed more pain killers, told him to take things easy and put him on sick leave for yet another week. As he is normally very active he is quite bored and frustrated and of course I have a lot of extra work as he usually does most of the shopping (especially for heavy items that I would be unable to manage as I generally walk to the local shops) and half of the work in the garden, but now I have to do all that myself as he was told to avoid lifting heavy items!!!
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I had my Covid booster and Flu vaccinations this morning. Interestingly, cases of Covid in East Suffolk rose by 130% in the latest 7-day reporting period over the previous seven days.

How is your husband getting on, Monique?
Last edited by Boatbuilder on 07 Oct 2023, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks John! He is still by no means recovered, but insisted on doing some gardening today, after which he had to lie down for a while. However, thanks to the 3-1 victory of VfB this afternoon (this time against Wolfsburg...their next match is against Barnard's Union Berlin) he is feeling more cheerful. His sick leave 'cert has now expired and he is due back at work next week, but I still don't think he is well enough...however, knowing him he will no doubt insist on going.

By the way, I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday morning when I will hopefully get my Covid booster and 'flu vaccination!!!
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Thanks for the update on your husband, Monique. Hopefully, if he returns to work, he will take it easy so as not to overdo it.

I hope you get your vaccinations OK.

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks John!

With regard to my husband's return to work, my main worry is the long commute to Stuttgart and back rather than the actual work itself. It takes him at least an hour to drive from here to his workplace (and considerably longer if he gets caught in a traffic jam) and public transport is not really an option as it takes even longer and he would have to change trains at least three times.
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I can understand your concerns then, Monique. With him sitting in the one position driving for that length of time, following the problems he has had with his legs, must worry you. I do hope he considers that before making a final decision on what he will do.

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

He received an e-mail today from one of his colleagues telling him that she was looking forward to his return as she wants him to help her to organize the annual Christmas staff party!!! We went for our usual Sunday walk this morning and while he is much better than he was several weeks ago he is still very slow and had to sit on a bench and later on a large rock for a few minutes to rest his back. What he finds most difficult is bending down to tie his shoe laces or pick things up from the ground.
Society Member