TV Programmes

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
GloomyGraham

Re: TV Programmes

Post by GloomyGraham »

MJE wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 19:48
     Although colour television in Australia was still a decade in the future at the time "Adventures of the Seaspray" first showed, and I would guess the situation was similar in New Zealand, the series was filmed in colour -
Like 'Skippy' I suppose it was filmed in colour to try and get international sales.

Other Aussie show that were filmed in colour before we actually had colour TV include 'Spyforce', 'Boney' and 'The Evil Touch'.

As with British shows like 'The Avengers' filmed in colour for US sales before the UK had colour.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

MJE wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 19:48
GloomyGraham wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 02:08Watching old TV shows is a bit like reading old Blytons. Comfort food for those of us getting older.

This is not quite nostalgia viewing, though, because I never saw the series as a child, even though it was on when I was a child.

Regards, Michael.
There are two shows from my childhood - Bergerac and Howard's Way that I'd watch at best as a moving background or because I'd simply liked the theme tune. So I can't say I'm fluent in them - but I'd probably really love them now because they evoke such strong memories of the 1980s!
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I'd no idea that they'd brought back Deal or No Deal. :shock:

It was never my cup of tea at all. I'm not fond of 'game shows' that are all about (fake or OTT) tension and require very little ability to win - just guessing about boxes, cards, etc.

I love out and out quiz questions like Mastermind, University Challenge, etc. And also ones that require lateral thinking such as Only Connect and House of Games. But formats like Deal or No Deal and Play Your Cards Right aren't for me.
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've started re-watching an old favourite, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. I loved it as a child with the silly man and the spectacular stunts. But watching now through curmudgeonly adult eyes, although the physical stuff is as amazing as ever, the man's an irritating fool! :D I could well imagine myself as an exasperated neighbour/workman/manager/bystander of the time growling "SPENCER...!!!" after witnessing his latest disaster - or simply coming face to face with him!

Having said that, I have mentioned on this forum before a similarity between Frank Spencer and another childhood hero of mine - Mister Meddle! The well meaning man who nevertheless manages to comically upset everyone around him. Could one have influenced the other...?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've always seen a similarity between Frank Spencer and Mister Meddle too. I suppose comedy is full of bumbling fools, but Frank and Meddle are actually rather endearing and the viewer/reader can't help rooting for them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I finally started watching UFO (started recording it in 2017). Some parts I have German, but all of them in English. Once I'm through with them I might "Space: 1999" give a try.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.