Which Film(s) Have You Seen Recently?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Re: Which Film(s) Have You Seen Recently?

Post by Bertie »

Katharine wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 00:52 I'm not sure if I've seen Sleepless in Seattle all the way through.

I saw Splash when it was first released, and have it on DVD somewhere, but haven't watched it for ages. :)
I always enjoy Sleepless in Seattle, though You've Got Mail is my favourite Hanks & Ryan film.

I've been re-watching a good few Tom Hanks films over the last month or so. Cast Away is one that I always enjoy. Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump and Philadelphia I don't watch anywhere near as often as many of his more light hearted films, as I find them much more uncomfortable viewing and less enjoyable as a result. But I've given them all a recent watch again.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 00:22 Sometimes there is talk about whether James Bond should change identity.

Who needs a female fictional Bond, when there is a genuine heroine with a story to tell?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67298675
I read that story earlier and I found the biography referred to - ‘The Spy Who Loved’ written by Clare Mulley, on Amazon and which I have ordered. It happens to ship from Italy but should be here in about 10 days.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

The 1993 version of The Secret Garden. Always enjoy this beautifully done film, the acting is wonderful from all the cast and the scenery is stunning. Very uplifting and enjoyable and always leaves me with a warm glow afterwards. I'm not sure what building is doubling as the manor but it looks like it's got about a hundred rooms in it!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Allerton Castle, in Yorkshire, doubled as Misselthwaite Manor, both for exterior and interior scenes.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I love that film and have it on DVD. The book is a childhood favourite which I re-read every few years.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

We are watching all 9 Star Wars movies and have reached the 4th one with Harrison Ford.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Boatbuilder wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 01:43
Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 00:22 Sometimes there is talk about whether James Bond should change identity.

Who needs a female fictional Bond, when there is a genuine heroine with a story to tell?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67298675
I read that story earlier and I found the biography referred to - ‘The Spy Who Loved’ written by Clare Mulley, on Amazon and which I have ordered. It happens to ship from Italy but should be here in about 10 days.
Amazingly, this book arrived today, much earlier than I had expected. I'm not sure if it shipped from Italy as was indicated although it did have two address labels on it, one of which had 'GB' at the end of the address and the other was an EVRI label, who were the carriers.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Bertie wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 00:39
Katharine wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 00:52 I'm not sure if I've seen Sleepless in Seattle all the way through.

I saw Splash when it was first released, and have it on DVD somewhere, but haven't watched it for ages. :)
I always enjoy Sleepless in Seattle, though You've Got Mail is my favourite Hanks & Ryan film.

I've been re-watching a good few Tom Hanks films over the last month or so. Cast Away is one that I always enjoy. Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump and Philadelphia I don't watch anywhere near as often as many of his more light hearted films, as I find them much more uncomfortable viewing and less enjoyable as a result. But I've given them all a recent watch again.

My favorite is "When Harry met Sally". It's our New Year's Eve movie and we watched it often on 31st of December.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

We just watched Jurassic World Dominion. It was fairly bad in terms of plot but it was good to see Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Sam Neill back together. It is the only film of the recent trilogy that actually frightened Brodie.

We're going to watch the original trilogy next and see what he thinks of those.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Tonight I watched a Hammer film from 1966 "Frankenstein Created Woman" which I have in a 20-DVD box set that I've had for probably close on 20 years, and enjoyed watching it again.

However, whilst going through the set to decide on which one to watch, I noticed one in there that was mentioned in this topic by Chrissie in the first half of last year - and that was "Fear in the Night". When Chrissie mentioned it, it wasn't one I ever recalled having seen, and didn't even know it was in the boxed set I have, so at that time last year I found it on Amazon and bought it to watch on Blu-Ray. I suppose I could have saved my money had I realised I already had it in the box set. However, I think the DVD quality will be a lot lower than the Blu-Ray.

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

As a Tom Hanks fan, and a big fan of the original Ladykillers film, I decided to re-watch the 2004 version that he was in. I watched it once, years ago, and remembered hating it and never going near it since. But in my current mood of watching plenty of films, I thought 'give it another go'.

So I did this afternoon. And hated it again! It's a travesty what they do to it really. Tom Hanks is good, as usual (though hard to recognise!) But everything else about is has such a completely different feel. They stick close enough to the general plot as far as that's concerned. But as for the tone, feel, casting and dialogue (constant F-words!)... it's just all so different and inferior.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a long time, if ever, before I make the mistake of watching it again.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the warning Berite - I love the original version, and don't think anything would ever be able to match in anyway, but if they felt it had to be improved with swearing, then it's definitely not for me!

The last film I saw at the cinema was 'Knives Out'. A few months ago I bought it in DVD, and the other evening I sat and watched it with my family.

I remembered just enough about the film to know when to cover my eyes at the few 'squeamish' bits. As it was quite a while since I'd seen the film, I wasn't sure if it would be as good as I thought it had been, but was pleased to find I thought it just as good this time around.
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

We watched the two Ewoks continuation movies "Caravan of Courage" and "Battle of Endor" yesterday in the afternoon. The ewoks were very cute.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Presumably, the Ewoks continuation films are Star Wars related? Then, as a 'continuation' of my comment on the Only Connect thread about not having ever seen Doctor Who, I'll add Star Wars (and Star Trek) to that list. Even as a big Harrison Ford fan, I've never got round to watching those Star Wars films of his.

One film I did re-watch again yesterday (and a very fitting one to have watched a few times!) was Groundhog Day. I'm a big fan of that type of film, and that era, and it's a really enjoyable film with Bill Murray and Andie McDowell working very well together.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree that Groundhog Day is a great film, Bertie, thought-provoking but fun. Tony and I have seen Groundhog Day - the Musical at the Old Vic twice, in 2016 and 2023. The staging was inspired and Andy Karl, who played Phil Connors in both productions, was brilliant. I have the soundtrack on DVD and love the songs, which are catchy and clever with ingenious lyrics. Tim Minchin composed the music and the lyrics, as he also did for Matilda - the Musical.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member