Which Film(s) Have You Seen Recently?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: Which Film(s) Have You Seen Recently?

Post by Katharine »

I've recently watched the film of Ghostbusters on DVD. It also had an option of an audio commentary by 3 of the people involved with making the film. It was very interesting, although sometimes I couldn't catch what they were saying, despite running it back and re-listening several times.

They kept mentioning Ghostbusters 2, but I'm not sure I've ever seen that film - something I'll have to keep an eye out for. I was hoping it might turn up on TV somewhere, especially over Christmas, but now there's a modern version I don't know whether the original will shown again.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

jubei wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 11:03 I watched Oppenheimer two weeks ago. Too long movie that required intense concentration, I didn't really enjoyed it.

I watched J.F.K. this week. I remember I missed this film when they initially released on cinema some 30 years ago, in 1992. This one quite good. I enjoyed it a lot. I love to watched the '90s film , especially those where I missed them in old days.

"Oppenheimer" was way too loud. I complained about the high volume at the manager, but he said the movie production companies insist on that high volume. I told him that I will certainly not destroy my good hearing and rather stop going to the movies.

"JFK" by Oliver Stone is a great film which I watched in Germany when it was released. I also read Jim Garrison's book.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Not all films are intended for cinema release, but are available online.

So it is with the crowd-funded The fall of Minneapolis, which I have just viewed in several stages because it is a hard watch.

On occasion, PC Goon was quite sure that he had got his man, and it took all the ingenuity of Fatty and the other Find-Outers to find the facts and release an innocent.

I'm sure that everyone here is certain they know who killed George Floyd. This film presents the body-cam of the 4 Police Officers, and challenges us to think again.

https://www.thefallofminneapolis.com/

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Katharine wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 11:35 I've recently watched the film of Ghostbusters on DVD. It also had an option of an audio commentary by 3 of the people involved with making the film. It was very interesting, although sometimes I couldn't catch what they were saying, despite running it back and re-listening several times.

They kept mentioning Ghostbusters 2, but I'm not sure I've ever seen that film - something I'll have to keep an eye out for. I was hoping it might turn up on TV somewhere, especially over Christmas, but now there's a modern version I don't know whether the original will shown again.
We love Ghostbusters in our house and have watched them both many times over (though I don't think we've done the audio commentary). Brodie actually likes the second one more than the original, so that's usually the one he'll ask me to put on for him. They were both on Amazon Prime for a while so he was able to choose them himself but they've disappeared again, so I have to get the DVD out for him.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Fiona, I really must check out the film if Brodie recommends it. ;)

One that I'm assuming he probably won't have watched yet is Love Actually.

On Saturday I was feeling grotty with Covid and wanted some to watch something that I knew well and didn't have to concentrate on too much. I chose that film, for several reasons, firstly, because I find it cheers me up, secondly because it's the Christmas season and I hadn't seen it yet, and thirdly, because one of the dances in the show I was missing was to a piece of music from that film.

I wasn't sure if hearing the music, knowing I was missing the show was the best idea, but decided if it was going to upset me, I might as well wallow in a bit of self-pity for a few minutes and do the thing properly. ;)

A couple of times I was so tired I really couldn't keep my eyes open, and so just listened to the film for a while, but as I've seen it so often, it didn't really matter as I could picture what was happening.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

No, but I have never seen Love Actually, either. I did put it on a year or two ago and watched about five or ten minutes, then got side tracked by something else, switched it off, and have never gone back.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I'd never seen Love Actually until earlier this year.
After re-watching two Hugh Grant / Richard Curtis films that I always enjoy - Four Weddings and a Funeral and Notting Hill - I finally decided to get round to watching Love Actually. I thought it was decent and worth watching, but I much prefer the other two films.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I like both those films too.

I think the appeal of Love Actually is it being set in the run up to Christmas - I'd be less likely to watch it in the middle of summer. So if I have cold in the middle of next year and want something to cheer me up, I'll choose one of those others instead. :)
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Been re-watching a few more films of some of my favourite actors - Tom Hanks in Splash and Sleepless in Seattle; and John Cusack in Serendipity and Grosse Pointe Blank.
Thoroughly enjoyed them all as usual. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sleepless in Seattle is a sweet film. Tony and I saw a musical version on stage at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre about three years ago. Michael D. Xavier played Sam and Kimberley Walsh played Annie, and they were both great.

I haven't seen Splash since it came out in the mid 1980s, but I remember enjoying it at the time.

This afternoon I watched my favourite film for this time of year - Lost Christmas, which was first shown on TV in December 2011. It's about a boy called Goose who does something which proves cataclysmic, and a man who seems curiously mystical. A truly magical film.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I've just watched Oliver Twist on Talking Pictures. I'm a big fan of the musical version but I'd never seen the original film. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was quite surprised at how violent it is in places! Extremely good film although I still prefer the musical as it's more upbeat with all the wonderful songs. Bill Sykes is also far creepier in it from the off, the film one didn't come across as a really nasty bit of goods until near the end.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm not sure if I've seen Sleepless in Seattle all the way through.

I saw Splash when it was first released, and have it on DVD somewhere, but haven't watched it for ages. :)
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Katharine wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 00:52 I'm not sure if I've seen Sleepless in Seattle all the way through.
Does that mean you fell asleep part-way through it? :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ha ha - could be.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Sometimes there is talk about whether James Bond should change identity.

Who needs a female fictional Bond, when there is a genuine heroine with a story to tell?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67298675
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017