Weird and wonderful bookshops

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Weird and wonderful bookshops

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: A lot of it is just repeated laments about how bad and unfunny the books are and how atrocious it is that the publishers, just because their parent company owns Enid's trademarks, can get away with putting her signature on books she didn't write!! :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

It doesn't seem right to me, it almost looks as though they and the author are committing fraud by selling books that people might believe, on looking at the covers in bookshops, are actually written by Enid Blyton.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

There have actually been cases (at least one is discussed in the thread) where unsuspecting adults have bought them for children, thinking they were real Enid Blyton books, only to be shocked when they realise the truth... :x
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I think that reinforces what I have said then, Courtenay.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes. :( Mind you, the "adult" FF books don't seem to be nearly as prominent now as they were a year or two ago — back then they seemed to be on display just about everywhere that sold books or gifts, but now I don't see them nearly as often. I suspect they've run their course and the novelty has worn off and a lot of people who bought them initially will have realised they aren't very good.
Society Member

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Let us hope so! I agree they do not seem to be "everywhere" as they were last year.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I was just reading this article from the BBC and thought this thread might be a place to put it, as I"m sure others here will enjoy reading it too: The booming trade in second-hand books

Here's an excerpt, with a remarkable little story from Australia...
There are no official statistics for the size of the second-hand book market. But a survey by Statista found that in both the UK and the US more than half of us are choosing to buy more books second-hand than we buy new.

And Patrik Oqvist from World of Books, the UK's largest second-hand book retailer, estimates the market is growing by 8-10% a year.

"There's no stigma to buying second-hand now," says Mr Oqvist. "We take them to the beach and spill coffee on them, but they don't stop working because of that." Then there's the lower price, and the fact that you're recycling.

But there's also the chance of finding something unique. World of Books had a call last year from a grandmother in Australia who had ordered an annual that she remembered owning as a child, full of quizzes, mazes and puzzles. When it arrived, she found it was her own original copy, complete with the inscription from her parents to her.
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Love the story of the grandmother and the annual. Her face must have been a picture when she opened it!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A great story. I have several times imagined the same thing happening to me but of course it never has. I bet that lady was glad she decided to purchase that book. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I thought that was just remarkable too. I've bought a number of second hand books with inscriptions in them (and often wondered what happened to the original owner), but I think I still own all or most of my own books with inscriptions for me, precisely because they were gifts and I couldn't bear to part with them. Amazing to hear of one that came full circle!
Society Member

floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I'm delighted to hear independent bookshops are on the rise again after some years in the doldrums, just setting out to visit one in Cardigan which was sold by raffle last year, it'll be interesting to see what changes are afoot.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

That's obviously the one which is now in the hands of the Dutch and Icelandic men as reported earlier in this topic, Floragord.

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Absolutely, Boatbuilder, we hadn't visited Cardigan since they took over and were interested to see how things had changed. They have instituted open evenings which sound nice, and I liked the new sign in the shop which says I AM A READER NOT BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A LIFE, BUT BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO HAVE MANY! They're thinking of creating a small coffee area to sip whilst you browse, which sounds lovely - meanwhile there's an attractive café in the old castle which is always special to visit.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

floragord wrote: I liked the new sign in the shop which says I AM A READER NOT BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A LIFE, BUT BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO HAVE MANY!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant! :wink: A cafe sounds like a great idea too.

I'm planning a short trip to Wales at the end of this month, incidentally — can only fit in a couple of full days there and I mainly want to have a quiet time enjoying the atmosphere (I'll be in a lovely country area in southern Monmouthshire), not driving about too much, but I may head up towards Hay-on-Wye, which I know is also famous for bookshops, if I have time. Ceredigion will have to wait for another trip, but I'll get there some day! :D Glad you're enjoying yourself over there, Floragord.
Society Member

floragord

Post by floragord »

Cheers, we love it to bits here, Courtenay! Have a lovely break - I envy you Hay if its your first visit, do hope you get there - have a fabulous time and if you can tear yourself away from the bookshops recommend a lovely café called THE GRANARY, they have a fabulous log fire and its worth getting there early to bag a table close to it whilst you inspect your latest book acquisitions!