Get-Together at Exbury, Sat 12th May 2018

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Get-Together at Exbury, Sat 12th May 2018

Post by number 6 »

For those who wish to visit Lepe Country Park, which sports a nice little Cafe, can access their official website below. The park is situated 2 miles South of Exbury gardens.

https://www.hants.gov.uk/thingstodo/cou ... lepe/visit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the link, Number 6. Lepe Country Park looks great! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

A pleasure, Eddie! Just thought that it might be a good place to go for people who arrive quite early at Exbury & don't want to go into the gardens before the others arrive. A stroll along the beach & a coffee/tea afterwards would be nice before the meet up...or after the event, if time allows! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Sounds ideal, Number 6. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:It will come around sooner than you think, my calendar for summer is already getting full. :)
Funny thing is that the Street Atlas of Hampshire was collected by me today- on the day that this site started to mention the meet up again (8th March)- after weeks of waiting for it. (I usually buy from Foyles bookshops online)- they deliver (free) to my door. Because they were out of stock " (1-3 weeks delivery)" I decide to order from WHSmith- they were 'in stock'. Took their time (weeks) to deliver. Should have bought from Foyles...
I am hoping to join you all in May.
Jack
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I hope you make it down to Exbury, Jack! :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I hope you’ll be able to make it too, Jack. :D

Society Member
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

That makes at least three of us- many thanks, number 6 and Eddie Muir. This would be my first "Society Day". (Purists could say that it is not an "official day" but that is not the organisers fault, or mine or yours for that matter)...
Society Member
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

Eddie Muir wrote:Thank you for your kind words, Number 6. Love the Brexit comment. :lol: :lol:
Yes, I'd like to agree and also to thank Eddie for his work on the plans for this visit. I had (fool) imagined that it was easy (Tony - please forgive me for I now know what I am talking about)- but my company's Christmas "do" and various conversations around it reveal (some ) of the problems.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

UPDATED

After doing some research, here are the details of our get-together on Saturday, 12th May 2018:

Park in the large car park at Exbury Gardens around 12.15pm. If you arrive early, there is a shop and toilets in the area.

MEET IN THE CAFE NEXT TO THE CAR PARK AT 12.30pm. Here you can have a full or snack lunch before going into the gardens. Once lunch is finished, you can buy your tickets for entry into the garden. You may also buy a ticket for the train ride if you wish.

The only reason I am asking for the names of those planning to visit is so that I have numbers for lunch, as it might be useful to book a table or tables in advance. Otherwise, just turn up on the day at the appointed time and place.

Here is the link to the Exbury website:

https://www.exbury.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is some information about the entry fee to the gardens:

Last year the cost of entry was £11.50 for adults and OAPs.The cost for children aged 3 to 15 was £3.30. The "Gardeners' World" magazine, which is on sale during the last week of April for £4.75, includes a 2 for 1 Entry card and guide. The enables the holder and one other to visit any of 417 gardens listed for the price of one ticket. Included in the offer is Exbury Gardens, which means that the entry cost for two people is £11.50.

This information was correct for last year. However, "Gardeners' World" has been offering a 2 for 1 Entry ticket for a number of years and so it is more than likely that the offer will be made again this year.

I hope all this is clear. If not, please feel free to ask any questions.

Please add your name to the list if you intend to attend:

Eddie
Chick
Onkel Quentin
Daisy (2)
Lucky Star (hopefully)
Julie
Stephen
Sally

Society Member
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Some names seem to be missing from the list .......just wondering if Tony, Nigel, Anita and Francis will be able to join us?
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Let’s hope they’ll all be there. :D

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I had planned to attend last minute - but my wife has gone and booked a surprise holiday in Turkey for us on that date... Grrrr!!! :evil: :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

That’s a shame, Pete. It would have been great to see you again. Anyway, I hope you and your wife enjoy Turkey.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Eddie, Erika and I won't be able to join you all at Exbury Gardens either, I'm afraid. It's a very long way for us to come for an afternoon but I hope everyone who attends has a fabulous day. Photos of the meet up will be very much appreciated.
Society Member