Get-Together at Exbury, Sat 12th May 2018

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Get-Together at Exbury, Sat 12th May 2018

Post by Eddie Muir »

John Pickup wrote:Eddie, Erika and I won't be able to join you all at Exbury Gardens either, I'm afraid. It's a very long way for us to come for an afternoon but I hope everyone who attends has a fabulous day. Photos of the meet up will be very much appreciated.
I’m sorry to hear that, John, but I fully understand. It is a very long way for you and Erika to travel. It was a pleasure meeting you both in Beaconsfield in October 2015 and I hope we can meet up again in the not-too-distant future.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

The list so far

Please add your name to the list if you intend to attend:

Eddie
Chick
Onkel Quentin
Daisy (2)
Lucky Star (hopefully)
Julie
Stephen
Sally
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sally H wrote:Some names seem to be missing from the list .......just wondering if Tony, Nigel, Anita and Francis will be able to join us?
I cannot commit to attend as I may well have to attend a family event which hasn't been confirmed yet. Francis hasn't posted since the 22nd of December - although he last visited the forums on the 15th of March. I hope all is well with Francis.
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I, too, hope all is well with Francis and I hope that you and Jane will be able to attend the Exbury get-together, Nigel. Without you it would be like rabbit-pie without any rabbit in it.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I wouldn't say that, Eddie. Maybe like rabbit-pie with no pastry - the meat will still be there, just not the flaky surround. I was going to say you and Chick would be the two-veg to go with the meat, but on thinking about it, thought it was a bit rude. Thanks, anyway. :)
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It would be nice to have a few more names added to the list:

Eddie
Chick
Onkel Quentin
Daisy (2)
Lucky Star (hopefully)
Julie
Stephen
Sally

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I would like to, but it's a long way for me to go and I may have other plans around that date, unfortunately. Also, since I've never really watched the TV series (I just remember it being on when I was very little but I was too young to follow it), I don't have as much of an interest in Exbury as those who are familiar with all the episodes and can recognise lots of the filming locations. But I hope it turns out to be a lovely day for those who do go.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There is far more to Exbury Gardens that the TV series - much of which is now unrecognisable! We have visited several times, and I confess I never give the Famous Five a second thought!
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

The most important reason for the get-together is to meet up with fellow Enid Blyton enthusiasts in a convivial setting. I know the distance to Exbury is a big obstacle for many forumites, but I do hope those who live nearer the venue will make the effort to attend. It should be a fun occasion. :D

So please add your name to the list if you can:

Eddie
Chick
Onkel Quentin
Daisy (2)
Lucky Star (hopefully)
Julie
Stephen
Sally

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

"Park in the large car park at Exbury Gardens around 12.15pm. If you arrive early, there is a shop and toilets in the area."
When entering the site is the "large" car park signposted or is it left to the driver to decide which car park is the large one?" Do marshalls direct the cars to the car park(s) if so what happens if they choose a different parking space? Where are they related to each other?
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

The Get-Together will be my first visit to Exbury Gardens and so I'm not absolutely sure about the car parking situation. From what I have been led to understand, the large car park is easy to spot and you are left to your own devices where parking is concerned.

The link to the gardens may provide more information:

https://www.exbury.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

You shouldn't have any problems as Exbury gardens is well signposted. There is only one main car park. When you enter the car park, you will see a group of buildings ahead of you. Make for these & you'll come across the restaurant/cafe. You can enjoy a drink, etc, without having to pay to enter the gardens. This enables everyone to meet up before entering the gardens together! Beyond this point is the pay kiosks for the gardens. Everything is well signposted for your visit. This is how I remember it a few years ago! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 06 Apr 2018, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Many thanks for this very useful information, Number 6. Much appreciated. :D

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

No probs, Eddie! :D
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Yes, thanks for the info, number 6 :D