What type of food do you like best?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: What type of food do you like best?

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Yeah, Tikka Masala is nice, although I really cannot eat it in large quantities.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

There is no religion when a man is hungry for....(pause)....good curry.

(Does anyone know what that comes from, and why I threw in a pause?)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Yeah, Tikka Masala is nice, although I really cannot eat it in large quantities.
We ordered an Indian meal for two last night - delicious! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Indian food is very tasty, although a bit too spicy!! :P
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I agree. Korma is generally safe, followed by tikka, but you do have to be careful if you can't take the heat. Also different people seem to have different perceptions of what's "hot". There was one time when I dropped in at a certain Indian takeaway in Melbourne, scanned the menu, and ordered a chickpea masala that was described as "delicately spiced". Took it back to where I was staying, opened the container, took one mouthful, just about spat flames... and reached for the phone to order a dial-a-pizza instead. :shock:

(The next day I added a couple of tins of tomatoes and some water to the masala and reheated it to make a much more edible (though still pretty spicy) pasta sauce. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Lots of sandwiches - ham, tomato, banana. beef, cucumber and Izzy's grape sponge cake - delicious!
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Very interesting reading about other people’s favourite foods, especially Maria Esther's Peruvian dish which I would love to try.
Francis wrote:Lots of sandwiches - ham, tomato, banana. beef, cucumber and Izzy's grape sponge cake - delicious!
Banana sandwiches? Ugh. My husband likes those, also cheese and jam sandwiches which I don’t really ‘get’. I like both cheese and jam, but not together.

Here are my unoriginal favourites (I’ve spent way too much time over this!)

Savoury:
*Roast dinners, especially pork, beef or gammon with crispy roasted potatoes, vegetables, Yorkshire puddings and gravy.

*Toad-in-the-hole with mashed potatoes

*Sausage, egg, chips and beans with a buttered roll on the side.

*I always enjoy pasta dishes – macaroni cheese with added extras (such as ham/leeks/tomatoes) and tagliatelle carbonara are favourites.

*Sadly I’m not great with spicy foods though I often think I should be more adventurous. I enjoy a mild chicken tikka masala and a mild Thai green curry.

*Hot, savoury, home-made soup (preferably quite a thick texture) and crusty bread. Ham and pea/carrot and coriander are favourites.

*Fish and chips with lots of salt, vinegar and mushy peas

*Spicy black pudding – the proper stuff, not the pathetic little sausages they sell in the supermarkets around here (the south east) with their strange blobs of white fat. I do enjoy the a good, old fashioned, unapologetic fry up where mushroomsjostlebaconjostlessausagesjostlesblackpuddingjostleseggsjostlestomatoes in frying pans until they’re all sizzling and ready to eat. With beans. And toast. And possibly hash browns.

*Cheese. All cheese - smoked, smooth, sweaty, smelly; creamy, blue-veined, squashy or hard!

*Eggs – scrambled, poached, fried or boiled with a runny yolk. I love a plate of peppery scrambled eggs and thick-sliced toast, washed down with a mug of hot tea.

*Calamari

*Onion rings

Sweet
*Malvern pudding - a long-time family favourite. Love it when the serving spoon makes that first delicate crack in the caramelised sugar on the top.

*Cheesecake, especially with fresh fruit.

*Warm chocolate fudge cake with cream

*Stewed plums or rhubarb with custard in the winter; fresh fruit flan with cream in the summer

*Deep-fried mars bars (no, I’m kidding!)

On the other side of the topic, there are very few foods I really dislike, but I’m not keen on prawns, bananas, rice pudding or tapioca, and I detest ground rice pudding and olives – yeugch!

My Granny used to say to us children if we had left-overs on our plates – “Your eyes are bigger than your tummy!”

But they’re not really.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

My ideal food that I like best must be hot, spicy with lots of chillies in the food! I can eat all kind of food as long as the food is halal from many countries. I have this urge to taste everything.

Normally, I just eat a wholesome meal once in a day. Usually Malay food. I don't drink fizzy drinks. They do not appeal to me. I must have a big mug of coffee that I will sip throughout the day.

I cook my food in large quantity so that I don't have to cook daily. If I am lazy, then only I order food from the shop which is very rare actually. When I cook, say chicken curry-one whole chicken, it can last for 4-5 days. I just reheat it. We eat with rice, always. Rice is our staple diet. I boil my green vegetable with no salt, no sugar. Nothing. I eat the boiled vegerable, 4 baby carrots or 4 sliced carrots, one tomato, 2 okras and half bitter gourd everyday with rice and chicken curry or other Malay food. I eat them raw. I do not snack at all.

Of course, I will eat ice-cream, biscuits, kuih and chip once in a while. I do not remember when was the last time I ate McDonalds or other fast food meaning, they do not appeal to my palate. However, I will try new food.
sixret

Post by sixret »

I love masak lemak cili api. It can be chicken, beef, fish or vegetable. The main ingredients are cili api(small chillies that are hotter than normal chilli) and coconut milk. The taste is hot(but not spicy because no spices) and yet very creamy. When I cook it, I will use 20-30 cili api or cili padi. The hotter the merrier with creamy aftertaste.
sixret

Post by sixret »

Second food is masak ungkep. Always chicken. It has a sweet taste with a bit of hot taste at the end of the sweetness.
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

That sounds very healthy, Sixret (and cost-effective too!)

I've been thinking lately that I need to cook more with rice rather than potatoes. Our diet is very potato and bread-heavy at the moment. My husband is such a fussy eater though, it's rather restrictive. He doesn't like anything remotely adventurous. I've only lately started to get him to eat peppers, by dint of cooking and serving them, or adding them to salads without asking him first!

I don't like MacDonalds much either.

I just googled masak lemak. It looks very appetising, but with those chillis would probably be too hot for me!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Spitfire wrote:My Granny used to say to us children if we had left-overs on our plates – “Your eyes are bigger than your tummy!”

But they’re not really.
As children we had to leave some food on the plate at home for "Mrs Manners", and at school if there was anything left it was served up at the next meal... and the next... and the next until one ate it in self defence if only for a change of menu - :? confused.com...
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
sixret

Post by sixret »

It's a very simple dish and easy to prepare it, Sarah. You can always use less chillis according to your liking. :D

Lemak= creamy. I know most British like creamy food. It should appeal to British.

I am an adventurous eater with restrictive diet, I would say to describe my eating habit. :lol:
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

A difficult question as I like most food. If I was pushed to give a favourite, I would say you can't look much past a traditional roast dinner on a Sunday. I'm really excited for Christmas dinner now with the turkey, roast potatoes, veg, stuffing, pigs in blankets, gravy and yule log and custard for desert :) . I'm not a massive fan of Christmas pudding, too many fruits and nuts!

Today, I also tried out the new turkey and parsnip pastry pie at Wetherspoon with mash and peas and gravy and white chocolate and honeycomb cheesecake for desert, I'd definitely recommend it! :P
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's really interesting to hear everyone's favourite foods - and from the look of it a roast dinner with all the trimmings is right up there near to the top of most people's favourite. Interesting, as Sky News were reporting last night that 'we' in Britain no longer eat Sunday Roasts, and 'most people' in Britain now eat a sandwich for Sunday lunch instead!!! Obviously not Blyton fans though! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member