Back in Time for Dinner/the Weekend/School

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Tue 17 March 2015 - BBC2 - Back in time for dinner

Post by Daisy »

Lettuce and gravy! No thanks. :shock:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: Don't you Aussies have peas with your fish and chips then? :shock:
No, we don't. What use are peas in a meal that's meant to be eaten with your fingers, preferably down by the beach on a hot summer's evening? 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Don't Aussies have knives and forks? :wink:

Edit: Just a thought. Is it racist to call Australians, Aussies? I know people from other countries get upset if their nationality is abbreviated. If so, I apologise. Of course, some nationalities call us Poms (!) or Brits....
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

When we've had fish, chips and peas to take out we get a nice little fork given to us. :lol:

Mind you you're taking your life in your hands eating them on a Cornish beach because of the 'seagulls'! :evil:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And Morgan.....
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Quite! :P

8)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote:Don't Aussies have knives and forks? :wink:
Yes. :mrgreen: Just not when eating fish and chips.
Moonraker wrote:Edit: Just a thought. Is it racist to call Australians, Aussies? I know people from other countries get upset if their nationality is abbreviated.
Not at all! 8) We call ourselves that. And yes, we call British people Poms. :P But it's usually meant in a cheekily affectionate way, not a deliberately offensive one, don't worry. I wouldn't use that term here in the UK, mind you - even though I hear tell Brits are famous for putting up with all kinds of abuse without complaining. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:I know people from other countries get upset if their nationality is abbreviated.
I think that's only the case if the term has been hurled at people in a malicious manner, e.g. the shortened form of 'Pakistani'. I also read somewhere that if you're shortening 'Scottish', it's nowadays considered pejorative to shorten it to 'Scotch' and you should say 'Scots' instead. I'm not sure whether that view is widely held, or what the reason is.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh, most definitely. I am always saddened when people from other countries can't laugh at themselves. I never take offence. Seeing as we've buried a king today, I am in a good mood!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I know people from other countries get upset if their nationality is abbreviated.
I think that's only the case if the term has been hurled at people in a malicious manner, e.g. the shortened form of 'Pakistani'. I also read somewhere that if you're shortening 'Scottish', it's nowadays considered pejorative to shorten it to 'Scotch' and you should say 'Scots' instead. I'm not sure whether that view is widely held, or what the reason is.
Yes, I have been careful for the past 40 years never to refer to Scots as Scotch, as I believed this to be a drink, not a nationality. Seems I was wrong! Personally, I don't give a jot if others call us Brits by derogatory terms, but then, we are one of the most tolerant of all nationalities. As you say, or at least refer, the term 'Pakis' is now deemed unacceptable - and no race really should be ridiculed. Sorry, but I have no idea what pejorative means!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Like you Nigel, I have been aware for what seems like always that one should refer to the Scottish people as Scots, and never Scotch. I have no idea why this should be though.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

There are two words mentioned above that have very dirty meaning in M language! :shock:
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I always thought that Scotch, was a whiskey too, and the Scottish people were Scots. Maybe Fiona will have to enlighten us on this. :)

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I found some interesting information on the topic here:

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2010/ ... ttish.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This also gives us a chance to write about the three adjectives “Scot,” “Scotch,” and “Scottish,” a subject that “is somewhat unsettled,” in the understated words of the Oxford English Dictionary.

In Old English, the language of the Anglo-Saxons, the adjective was Scyttisc or Scottisc. In Middle English, about 1100 to 1500, it was written all sorts of ways (Scottysc, Scottisc, Scottissh, etc.), often depending on where you lived.

In the 14th and 15th centuries, for example, it was pronounced like “Scottish” (with various spellings) in the south of England, and “Scottis” in the north as well as in Scotland.

Writers in England began contracting “Scottish” to “Scotch” in the late 16th century, while writers in Scotland began shortening “Scottis” to “Scots” in the early 18th century.

But language is a messy business, and some Scottish writers, notably Robert Burns (1759-96) and Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832), regularly used “Scotch” as an adjective.

Since the mid-19th century, the OED says, there has been “a growing tendency” in Scotland to abandon the adjective “Scotch” in favor of “Scottish” or “Scots.”

Why? Perhaps because “Scotch,” with its English roots, had come to be viewed in the 19th century as merely an Anglicized version of the word “Scots.”

In England, “Scotch” was the “the prevailing form” from the late 17th century until the 19th century, according the OED, though “Scottish” was used in more formal writing.

But in the 20th century, the OED adds, the word “Scotch” fell “into disuse in England as well as in Scotland.”

Nevertheless, the adjective “Scotch” survives in phrases like “Scotch whisky,” “Scotch pine,” “Scotch broth,” and so on.

So which adjective should a writer use today? A usage note in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (4th ed.) offers some helpful advice:

“In the interest of civility, forms involving Scotch are best avoided in reference to people; designations formed with Scots are most common (Scot, Scotsman, or Scotswoman), but those involving the full form Scottish are sometimes found in more formal contexts.”
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Don't worry the expert's arrived :lol:. I'm kidding. I've rarely if ever heard/seen people use Scotch to describe a person or people but I know that it does happen. I'm only aware of the idea that Scotch is a drink not a nationality idea rather than anything to do with it being Anglicised, but as I say I've not really come across it being used.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member