Your Top Three Favourite Authors

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Re: Your Top Three Favourite Authors

Post by Farwa »

I see... I think I'm going to check it out. Why is it difficult to finish - is it fat, does it use difficult words, or is it written in a complicated way?
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

One of the main reasons it can be hard to get through (I found) is that there are hundreds of different names in it, and some of them sound really very similar. I had to keep checking at the back (there's a list of people) to see who was who! And it's written in a very grand sort of style, which some people find hard to get through. It's wonderful to read aloud though - the words just roll off your tongue.
Farwa

Post by Farwa »

Well, I'm going to check it out! It seems like a cool book!
That's the fun of coming together on good forums like this - you get such good book suggestions of this sort!
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

THE SILMARILLION is an account of the Elder Days of the First Age of Tolkien's World, the ancient drama to which the characters in LORD OF THE RINGS refer and in whose events some of them, such as Elrond and Galadriel, took part. The tales are set in an age when Morgoth, the first Dark Lord dwelt in Middle Earth and the High Elves made war for the recovery of the Silmarils. The three Silmarils were jewels created by Feanor, most gifted of the Elves. Included in the book are several shorter works. AINULINDALE is a myth of the creation and in VALAQUENTA the nature and power of each of the gods is described. The AKALLABETH recounts the fall of the great island kingdom of Numenor at the end of the Second Age and OF THE RINGS OF POWER tells of the great events at the end of the Third Age. It is a huge epic but... I would only reconsider reading it if I were to suffer from regular insomnia which medicinal herbs didn't alleviate :oops:
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

What a relief to read your last sentence. I was itching to get on my anti-Lord Of The Rings hobby-horse but didn't want to offend you. Now I don't have to risk it. :D
"The days are long, but the years are short"
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Ooooh, I don't really "do" offended too often BurlingtonBertram, life's too short!! Does your anti Lord of the Rings hobby-horse mean you aren't a fan of JRRT :wink: ?
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
burlingtonbertram

I could write a long diatribe about the flaws in The Lord of The Rings, but won't. I admire his knowledge of folklore, linguistics and his ability to put an epic together though. I still enjoy 'The Hobbit', to a degree.

The most bitter opponent of something is always the apostate LOL. When I was 15 and should having been hanging about on the seafront or the amusement arcades meeting girls, I was stuck in a variety of attics rolling dice and moving little lead figures about a gaming table. I hold Tolkien entirely responsible for the Dungeons & Dragons habit of my mid-teens.
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Moonraker wrote:
I'm enjoying this "three favourite authors" thread (or sometimes more than three!) It's interesting to see which authors have made a real impression on people.
The problem is that three authors isn't really enough to judge an impression. It seems obvious (although, strangely, two people haven't) that Enid will be featured, so it only leaves two others to pick. I have been impressed by many authors, and to get a true flavour, I would probably like to see people's top ten.
If you ask, so you shall receive. (eventually...)

1. Alan Moore
2. George Orwell
3. Stephen King
4. Enid Blyton
5. P.G. Wodehouse
6. John Wyndham
7. Donald E. Westlake
8. Isaac Asimov
9. Robert Westall
10.Bill Bryson

With Dick Francis, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony, Ed McBain, Lawrence Block bringing up the rear.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Farwa

Post by Farwa »

:D Perhaps I should change the topic title to "Top Ten Favourite Authors" now!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'd not even heard of four of those authors! :|
Society Member
Farwa

Post by Farwa »

That's cool! Now you can check them out! :)
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

1) Enid Blyton
2) Agatha Christie
3) P. G. Wodehouse

:D

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

walter raleigh wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
I'm enjoying this "three favourite authors" thread (or sometimes more than three!) It's interesting to see which authors have made a real impression on people.
The problem is that three authors isn't really enough to judge an impression. It seems obvious (although, strangely, two people haven't) that Enid will be featured, so it only leaves two others to pick. I have been impressed by many authors, and to get a true flavour, I would probably like to see people's top ten.
If you ask, so you shall receive. (eventually...)

1. Alan Moore
2. George Orwell
3. Stephen King
4. Enid Blyton
5. P.G. Wodehouse
6. John Wyndham
7. Donald E. Westlake
8. Isaac Asimov
9. Robert Westall
10.Bill Bryson

With Dick Francis, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony, Ed McBain, Lawrence Block bringing up the rear.
Billy Bryson is very amusing; I particularly enjoyed Notes From A Small Island. For anyone who hasn't read it, he is an American, but a UK resident, who takes a valedictory trip around the UK (walking and by public transport). It is very funny. I read it once whilst running a polling station (the world's most boring job) and any number of voters said they had both read it and enjoyed it.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't read the whole of Bill Bryson's Down Under, just the first couple of chapters or so and the odd flick-through - I must read it properly one day - but I have to say, unlike many writers from elsewhere, he gets Australia very accurate! 8) :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

The only Bill Bryson book I've read is Mother Tongue. It was quite a while ago, and from what I remember it was quite good, although a lot to take in.
Society Member