Bodily Functions, Ablutions, Male Grooming etc!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
GloomyGraham

Re: Bodily Functions, Ablutions, Male Grooming etc!

Post by GloomyGraham »

pete9012S wrote:I'm sure ladies all over the country are trying to manage their own hair at present due to their normal hairdresser not being available.
Well, it's not just ladies who are trying to manage their own hair.

I last went to my barber early January and - even before lockdown - avoided going there even though I needed a cut badly.

I've employed the clippers on my head twice now. Neither have been particularly good attempts, but because I'm hardly seeing anyone and winter is approaching downunder, it doesn't matter that much how feral it looks. I mostly wear a cap or beanie when out anyway.

I've had to use the clippers on my face too as I've only managed to be clean-shaven about once a week and it's hard for razors to mow through that extra growth.

Hair isn't the only thing needing a professional touch. I chipped a a tooth on the very day dentists announced they would be closing and that's something I can't do with my own equipment..
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Difficult times indeed Gloomy Graham as you rightly say for both ladies and gentlemen.
Sorry to hear about the chipped tooth. Needing the dentist at the moment is one of my fears.
I don't like to go even when things are 'normal'...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Boatbuilder wrote:
IceMaiden wrote:She'd picked up the wrong colour, it went nearly black :lol: .
Better than bright green, though. :D

Incidentally, what colour should it have been?

A natural looking medium brown but the box she got was 'darkest brown', which turned out to be one shade away from jet black :shock: .Luckily it's fading now after a few washes but for any home dye attempts - box dyes come out darker than what the picture shows!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I'm glad I don't dye my hair, Ice Maiden. I'm happy to stay with my now grey look. :D

Isn't it strange though how the other hair on your body retains its natural colour?
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Boatbuilder wrote:Isn't it strange though how the other hair on your body retains its natural colour?
Not in all cases, I have a few grey eyebrow hairs, and my brother's stubble is definitely grey in places. :wink:

My fringe is now beginning to annoy me a bit. I could just hack a bit off it myself, but I thought I'd try growing it out and see what it looks like, but it's at the in-between stage at the moment, so keeps getting into my eyes.

It's also a bit hot around the back of my neck in the current warm weather, but is too short to tie up at the moment. I have quite thick hair so at the moment it seems to be growing sideways rather than downwards. :roll:

I have had the odd colour on my hair over the years, but although I love the initial look, I hate the washed out ginger colour that even the best salon dyes end up, and it's too expensive/too much of a hassle to have regular treatments. So I don't bother any more. I suspect I'm in the extreme minority to be going publicly grey in my early 50's - someone posted on social media the other day that they hated their grey coming through as they said it made them look 70 (and they were only in their 40's), so on that reckoning, I suppose I must look 80. :wink:
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

My own hair also gets quite thick too, Katharine. It also gets close enough to shoulder length, too. Then I go in to have it trimmed, with Number 4 Clippers.
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Katharine wrote:
Boatbuilder wrote:Isn't it strange though how the other hair on your body retains its natural colour?
Not in all cases, I have a few grey eyebrow hairs, and my brother's stubble is definitely grey in places. :wink:

My fringe is now beginning to annoy me a bit. I could just hack a bit off it myself, but I thought I'd try growing it out and see what it looks like, but it's at the in-between stage at the moment, so keeps getting into my eyes.

It's also a bit hot around the back of my neck in the current warm weather, but is too short to tie up at the moment. I have quite thick hair so at the moment it seems to be growing sideways rather than downwards. :roll:

I have had the odd colour on my hair over the years, but although I love the initial look, I hate the washed out ginger colour that even the best salon dyes end up, and it's too expensive/too much of a hassle to have regular treatments. So I don't bother any more. I suspect I'm in the extreme minority to be going publicly grey in my early 50's - someone posted on social media the other day that they hated their grey coming through as they said it made them look 70 (and they were only in their 40's), so on that reckoning, I suppose I must look 80. :wink:
I was looking at my arms and legs when I made that comment, Katharine and they're still red/ginger. Yes, my eyebrows are the same - with some grey. I don't really know about my stubble as I rarely go longer than 48 hours to be able to tell as I usually shave every day. The only time I grew facial hair was over 30 years ago when I grew a moustache for a short time and it was still my natural colour then. It's possible it's just the head hairs that change - at least with myself that appears the case.

I'm sure you don't look 80 either, Katharine. I don't think I do and I'm nearly 73 now. ;)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Boatbuilder wrote:I was looking at my arms and legs when I made that comment, Katharine and they're still red/ginger. Yes, my eyebrows are the same - with some grey. It's possible it's just the head hairs that change - at least with myself that appears the case.

I'm sure you don't look 80 either, Katharine. I don't think I do and I'm nearly 73 now. ;)
That's an interesting thought, maybe the pigment loss works its way down. Can't say I've noticed a change on my arms and legs so far - not that I let my legs have the opportunity to show me whether they are turning grey or not. :wink:

Thanks, I hope I don't look anywhere near 80, or even 70 for that matter. Still as they say, you are as young as you feel, and with all the children's books I read I must be closer to a teenager. :lol:
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Katharine wrote: Thanks, I hope I don't look anywhere near 80, or even 70 for that matter. Still as they say, you are as young as you feel, and with all the children's books I read I must be closer to a teenager. :lol:
I don't think we ever feel as old as we are - at least 'in mind'. However, I can't say that's true about the body though with all the aches and pains we seem to develop as we grow older. Image (I think he's meant to be 'Old Father Time' :D )

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

pete9012S wrote:Sorry to hear about the chipped tooth. Needing the dentist at the moment is one of my fears.
I actually just pulled a 'it's time you came in for a cleaning' postcard from my dentist, so I presume they are opening up again.

I may wait a week or two though to see how things develop with relaxing of lockdown rules over here.

We currently don't have any cases in my city and it's been nearly two weeks since we had a positive test, but still..
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Katharine wrote:So I don't bother any more. I suspect I'm in the extreme minority to be going publicly grey in my early 50's - someone posted on social media the other day that they hated their grey coming through as they said it made them look 70 (and they were only in their 40's), so on that reckoning, I suppose I must look 80. :wink:
I'm 33 today and I've got very visible white hair in my fringe and some in the sides. Most would be horrified by it but I'd be over the moon if it would go all white as soon as possible! Why? Because then I can go and get it done back to the blonde I originally was before it inexplicably turned dark. I hate it dark as it's impossible to successfully lighten it for very long :cry: . The sooner it goes white the better as far as I'm concerned, I'm told my grandfather was totally white at 30 which means I stand a good chance hopefully!
Society Member

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Happy Birthday. :D

33 - a mere youngster. :wink:

An interesting reason for wanting to go grey/white asap. My fringe is very grey underneath, so doesn't show much unless I brush it back. I made a couple of attempts to lighten my hair when younger, but I was naturally so dark that it just used to go ginger. Nothing against ginger hair, but I'd prefer a more copper shade, which I did have as low lights a few times.
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

She definitely is, Katharine - a mere youngster. I'll be 40 years her senior in a month's time. :(

Happy Birthday, Ice Maiden. :D Hope you had a lovely day.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Happy birthday, Ice Maiden! I'm also 33 and have a fair bit of white hair around the temples and what would be my fringe if I had one. (There's possibly plenty elsewhere but it's easiest to see at the front!) I've dark blonde hair which is a bit lighter in places especially if it's seen the sun in summer so it's not terribly obvious from a distance.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Thank you three :D :D .

I want it blonde because that's the colour it naturally was, proper Barbie shade and it frustrates me that it's gone dark. It was never dark and it's not easy to do anything about it as it grows really quick so it shows through fast which is expensive and damaging to keep having re-done. If it goes white it won't have that problem :P . I did try it red, (an auburn shade not pillar box!) which worked well but red fades fast. Plus I've had too many of those "moments of horror when you see it" in the hairdresser, I'm not colouring it again until it's ready.
Society Member