Castles of Interest

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Castles of Interest

Post by Rob Houghton »

Many people arrive in Birmingham expecting to find themselves in Alabama... :lol: :twisted:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I can tell people my dad was born in Sandringham and they would think we're close to royalty until I add "... Victoria, Australia." :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Now here's a different kind of castle I just read about in the news: Couple build "fairytale" castle in Transylvania

It's very cute, but given the location, I hope they've got plenty of garlic on hand to ward off any potentially dangerous neighbours!! :shock: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Rob Houghton wrote:Many people arrive in Birmingham expecting to find themselves in Alabama... :lol: :twisted:
Slongas they'e not depending on Southern Rail they might make it to either destination :?
Speaking of castles we had a nostalgic trip down memory lane of visits to Ludwig II's fairytale Neuschwanstein and Linderhof (Bavaria), with a Dan Cruickshank documentary last night :D
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:It's very cute, but given the location, I hope they've got plenty of garlic on hand to ward off any potentially dangerous neighbours!! :shock: :wink:
Yes, it's cute indeed!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

floragord wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Many people arrive in Birmingham expecting to find themselves in Alabama... :lol: :twisted:
Slongas they'e not depending on Southern Rail they might make it to either destination :?
This is sounding dangerously like a certain famous poem that I know has come up in conversation here before (and it even mentions Birmingham!)... G.K. Chesterton — The Rolling English Road :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm a big fan of Chesterton's poetry - thanks for posting! I'd heard that before but forgotten the details. :-)

I see it was actually written as a cry against prohibition of alcohol! 8)

https://www.theguardian.com/books/books ... chesterton
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

My son, daughter and I visited Gwrych Castle yesterday, which was mentioned earlier in this thread (as well as elsewhere on the forums). The castle was derelict for many years but is now being restored to its former glory. The terraces, lawns and other parts of the garden are now looking lovely, as are a few rooms including the chapel and a writing room. It was fascinating to see them and brought back memories of going there a couple of times as a child in the 1970s, when the castle was inhabited and was open to the public for events such as jousting. There's a lot more work to be done, with further plans in the pipeline which are not expected to be completed until 2028 at the earliest, but it's fascinating to see things taking shape.

On the downside, tickets to visit the place have to be booked online in advance and the gift shop places more emphasis on the I'm a Celebrity... connection than on the history of the building. Also, the extensive woodland paths above the castle are closed for the time being, whereas it was possible to wander along them freely just a few years ago. Still, I'm delighted Gwrych Castle is being preserved as it's a stunning building and it would have been terrible to see it fall into further disrepair.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I've only just seen this thread (with Anita's post being the first one since 2016).
Growing up, despite living in the North West, we used to often go for days out to Warwick and Ludlow castles. Two very contrasting castles - the former perfectly preserved and furnished, feeling very much 'alive' with all kinds of stuff going on around and about. The latter, a real ruin that was much quieter and felt more 'dead' and full of memories of the past. For that reason, Ludlow was always my favourite. I love ruined castles more, and enjoyed being able to spend longer there in peace without all the hoopla that Warwick provided (which I still enjoyed as well).
We visited other castles - I can remember Edinburgh, Skipton, Kenilworth... But Warwick and Ludlow were the regulars. And Ludlow Castle (and eating at the lovely De Greys Tearoom) the one I have the fondest memories of.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I prefer ruined castles as well. In May 2019 on our way to Scotland we visited Warkworth Castle in Northumberland which is located on top of a hill. When I visited it for the first time in 1981 it was early May and the entire hill was covered by daffodils.

Warwick Castle was way too expensive when we tried to visit it in 1981, they wanted 25 £ admission per person, so we skipped it. Today that's an acceptable admission price, but in 1981 it was simply insane.
Madame Tussaud's in London was also too expensive.
A lovely ruined castle can be found in Cruden Bay, Scotland, which inspired Susanna Kearsley to write her lovely novel "The Winter Sea". It's called New Slains Castle.

If you scroll down in the Wiki link, there is a great photo of New Slains Castle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Slains_Castle
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm so glad to hear that Gwyrch Castle is being preserved. It truly is a stunning sight as one goes along the beautiful North Wales coastline. I wandered up to it about ten years ago and it was sad to see the derelict state it was in. Great news. I really must get back to that area sometime soon.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member