What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by floragord »

We've been fortunate to visit Corfe many times over the years 'out of season', when the fires are lit, everything open but nobody much around and of course visit Ginger Pop for the delight of adding fabulous items to the E B collection. I'm of the school of thought that savours special times and moves on to fresh fields and pastures new, rather than finding a much loved place has become "same old" or worse as things of course change and alter, but absolutely appreciate we all make our own choices!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Reading the article on that in the EB journal, it's one of the places in England I think I must visit, after all the descriptions of this place I've heard from you, it does seem like a lovely place. It's a pity that the Ginger Pop is no longer there though.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Can't stop watching The Three Musketeers (1973 version), and I'm quite a bit obsessed with Richard Chamberlain. In my opinion the movie is excellent, I enjoy it every time I see it. :D
Has anyone seen this version/this movie?
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Have you seen Richard Chamberlain in The Slipper And The Rose? It's one of my favourite films, it's the story of Cinderella, and it's really well done with beautiful costumes and sets etc, and amazing music. It's on YouTube (it's uploaded strangely so it doesn't fill the screen but it's still watchable) or you can buy the DVD on Amazon. Totally worth watching!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree. the Slipper and the Rose was the first film I ever saw Richard Chamberlain in - at the cinema when I was about 6 or 7. I instantly fell in love with Gemma Craven! I remember even now how great it looked on a big screen - and I've seen it many times since. The music was by the brilliant Sherman brothers - who wrote Mary Poppins, Bed-knobs and Broomsticks and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, amongst others. :-)

One thing I really like about The Slipper and the Rose is that it's done in a very adult way, realistically, and that the magic is all achieved without any special effects at all - a real breath of fresh-air!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

The 1973 "The Three Musketeers" (and its immediate sequel "The Four Musketeers") is the best adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' novel ever made. It seems like after this film was made, the film industry just decided it wasn't worth trying to match it, and every Three Musketeers film made since then has just sort of been a half-butted attempt.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I haven't seen The Three Musketeers but I do love The Slipper and the Rose. Most people that I know don't seem to remember it so it's great to hear that there are some fans here. Stunning costumes and sets as Cathy (Carlotta) said, and the basic storyline is enhanced to make the most of the romantic and tragic elements. One of my favourite songs is 'Tell Him':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcHp_5sHL8Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I can clearly remember the first time I saw The Slipper and The Rose. It was on TV just before Christmas and I'd come home early as the office I worked at would close at lunch time on the last working day before the festivities. I really enjoyed it, and still do. My favourite song is Protocoligorically Correct.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

floragord wrote:I loved Ginger Pop and haunted the shop regularly during our visits to Corfe,
I hadn't realised you had passed away, floragord. Do all ghosts write in green ink? :wink:
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I haven't seen The Three Musketeers but I do love The Slipper and the Rose. Most people that I know don't seem to remember it so it's great to hear that there are some fans here. Stunning costumes and sets as Cathy (Carlotta) said, and the basic storyline is enhanced to make the most of the romantic and tragic elements. One of my favourite songs is 'Tell Him':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcHp_5sHL8Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a great song, and demonstrates how 'dark' parts of the film are - quite adult! I also love 'Suddenly' and 'When He Danced With Me' - which was the big 'hit' of the film and was often played on the radio at the time. :-)

Once I Was Loved is also a favourite of mine -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuYvlobsYVM

And 'Secret Kingdom' - with Richard Chamberlain singing -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E_6vuQxdY
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote:
floragord wrote:I loved Ginger Pop and haunted the shop regularly during our visits to Corfe,
I hadn't realised you had passed away, floragord. Do all ghosts write in green ink? :wink:
:shock: :lol: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
HopeMeijer
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Allie Mannering, Kiki

Post by HopeMeijer »

Carlotta King wrote:Have you seen Richard Chamberlain in The Slipper And The Rose? It's one of my favourite films, it's the story of Cinderella, and it's really well done with beautiful costumes and sets etc, and amazing music. It's on YouTube (it's uploaded strangely so it doesn't fill the screen but it's still watchable) or you can buy the DVD on Amazon. Totally worth watching!
My friend introduced me to Slipper and the Rose when we were in secondary school and I now have it on DVD somewhere. It's a lovely version of Cinderella and it just goes to show that it is still being watched by new generations (although both she and I are now well out of secondary school *coughcough*).
Still, you never knew with Bill. He had a remarkable way of doing impossible things extraordinarily quickly. - The Mountain of Adventure

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Carlotta King wrote:Have you seen Richard Chamberlain in The Slipper And The Rose? It's one of my favourite films, it's the story of Cinderella, and it's really well done with beautiful costumes and sets etc, and amazing music. It's on YouTube (it's uploaded strangely so it doesn't fill the screen but it's still watchable) or you can buy the DVD on Amazon. Totally worth watching!
I love that movie!, its often on around Xmas and a lovely part of the festivities for me! - as you say the costumes and music are delightful!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

KEVP wrote:The 1973 "The Three Musketeers" (and its immediate sequel "The Four Musketeers") is the best adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' novel ever made. It seems like after this film was made, the film industry just decided it wasn't worth trying to match it, and every Three Musketeers film made since then has just sort of been a half-butted attempt.
I completely agree with you. This film is delightful to watch, even though the other films adapted from the Three Musketeers are probably good and interesting to watch, I still think this one is the best. :D
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Actually I haven't seen it, but now that you speak of it, I am very impatient to search for the movie and see it. Richard Chamberlain is an actor I deeply admire, and now that you lot have spoken favourable of this movie, I am most certainly going to watch it. :D
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member