What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by number 6 »

Glad you enjoyed your few days away, Anita! Sounds absolutely cracking! :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

You didn't visit Stonehenge while you were at it, Anita? :wink: Glad you had such a great time — welcome back!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:Did you land in a valley of adventure? :-D Sounds great!
I must admit I felt quite Bill Smugs-ish!
number 6 wrote:Glad you enjoyed your few days away, Anita! Sounds absolutely cracking! :D
Thanks, Number 6.
Courtenay wrote:You didn't visit Stonehenge while you were at it, Anita? :wink:
If you mean on the "flight", I think I took off from Boscombe Down Airfield, flew out over the Isle of Wight and landed back at Boscombe Down.

If you mean in real life, I've seen Stonehenge before and the Visitor Centre is being revamped at the moment (despite being pretty new) so we decided to give it a miss.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: If you mean in real life, I've seen Stonehenge before and the Visitor Centre is being revamped at the moment (despite being pretty new) so we decided to give it a miss.
Yes, I meant in real life. That's a bit odd, that they're refurbishing the visitor centre already when it opened only about 3 years ago! :shock: I've been there once before the visitor centre was built and twice since — I really enjoyed the visitor centre, but the stones themselves are the most remarkable thing, of course. (My mum and other friends of her generation reminisce about how they visited in the days when you could go right up among the stones and touch them, but I think it's right that visitors can't do that any more — too much risk of damage to such a unique and amazing site.)

The flight simulator sounds like a great experience as well — maybe a bit scary, though! Do you qualify for your pilot's licence now? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm not quite ready for my pilot's licence yet! :wink:

I also went to Stonehenge in the days when you could walk among the stones and touch them. I was only five but I remember it well because I'd recently read The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies and another girl who was visiting Stonehenge had "Hop, Skip, Jump" written on her plimsolls - which I mistakenly thought was something to do with the three brownies!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've just watched Buddy Holly: Rave On on BBC4. It's advertised as "profile of the singer who helped define the music of the 1950s before his tragic death, a look at his career with interviews from those who knew him." I didn't learn anything new about Buddy Holly, but the programme served as a reminder of what a great talent he was and how much he achieved in such a short space of time. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Was this a repeat, Eddie? I can remember watching something similar a while ago. It makes you wonder how far Buddy Holly would've gone in the business & how much more of an influence he would have had on the music industry, if he hadn't been tragically killed at such a young age! :|
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It was a new programme with new interviews, Number 6. However, I'd seen all the footage of Buddy Holly many times before: sadly just three musical performances and some home movies. I think Buddy would have gone on to achieve far greater things had he not died at such a young age. He had so many plans in the pipeline at the time of his death, including starting his own record label (Prism) and producing the recordings of other artists. He was also planning to do studio versions of songs that he had written and recorded as demos on his tape recorder in his New York apartment in the weeks just before the tragic air crash. Backings were added to these demo tracks and were released after his death and enjoyed considerable chart success. Examples are: Peggy Sue Got Married, Learning The Game, and What To Do. In 1963, Buddy had big hits with Brown Eyed Handsome Man and Bo Diddley: two demo tracks that had been recorded in 1956. There have also been numerous posthumous albums that have enjoyed chart success since that fateful day in 1959,
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

He certainly played a a much bigger part in the development of rock than most would expected, influencing a good number of British artists who made that template, reputedly playing a part in the naming of The Hollies and the aftermath of his death played a part in Bobby Vee's career.
The 1986 "From the original mastertapes" MCA cd while limited to just those recordings issued in his lifetime sounds amazing for the period.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I agree that the 20 tracks From the Original Master Tapes, issued on CD 1985 and not 1986, sound amazing. Only 18 of the 20 were issued in Buddy's lifetime. True Love Ways and Reminiscing both from the CD, weren't released until after he died. The 18 tracks on the CD were not the only recordings issued in his lifetime. The two albums, The Chirping Crickets and Buddy Holly were released in March 1958 and July 1958 respectively and contain tracks that are not on the From the Original Master Tapes collection. Also the That'll Be The Day album, released in 1961, showcases all the 1956 Decca recordings, including the original version of That'll Be The Day. Of these recordings only Rock Around With Ollie Vee appears on the Original Master Tapes CD. Off my soapbox now! :wink:

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks, Eddie. I'll watch it on the BBC i-player. I didn't realise how much BH was involved in! He was an incredible talent, for sure. It's a real shame he passed so young! :|
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

You're welcome, Numbef 6. I hope you enjoy watching the programme on the BBC i-player. :D

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Watching The Prisoner. Very enjoyable but goodness it's confusing, like going through different doors but finding yourself back in the same room every time :lol: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Is that the original filmed in Portmeirion? I've never seen it, but I know it is well known for being confusing! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I am guessing number 6 is also a fan of The Prisoner.