What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

:twisted:

Mother wants to see the dental hygienist.

2 weeks ago we arrive - oh dear - they forgot she's in a wheelchair and have booked the upstairs surgery. Appointment re-scheduled for today, and I KNOW it was today as it is the birthday of a family member.

Arrive today. Feeling a little weary, so ask for the wheelchair ramp to get in. The step up to the doorway is higher than the step up the kerb, and this ramp is so long it takes up almost the full width of the pavement. So, get the wheelchair into the road, then up the kerb, onto the ramp and in we get. Oh dear, they've rescheduled for 2 weeks time and somehow the message didn't get to me, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Furthermore, mother missed the village lunch club in order to get there on time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Decide to go to RSPB ARNE for a cuppa and a cake, and find that parking is free with a blue badge :D

(and I'd nipped into a Charity shop, and got a Blue Whale for 50p :shock: :lol: )
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with Rosie's dental appointment, Viv. I'd be asking for a discount after all that!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I think I probably mentioned some time ago, probably in another topic, about a new river crossing that was being built here in Lowestoft to alleviate conjestion through both the town itself and Oulton Broad - a mile or so inland. Well today they finally lifted the final section of the bridge - the bascule - into place. Over the past few days I have been taking a number of pictures of this phase of the work and uploading them to the two pages on my Suffolk-World website that I started to create a couple of years ago from the early days of construction. If anyone is interested, the two pages which currently have over 100 images on them in chronological order are here, with a link to Page 2 at the bottom of this first page, or by going through the floating 'Gallery Index' at the top of the page:

https://suffolk-world.com/places/gullwingbridge.htm

There is also this news article from today on the BBC which includes an image taken from a drone after the last section was lifted into place this morning. Sadly, I don't have a drone myself. The bridge will be open later this year.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

I've been watching a rerun of The Professionals Three strawberry Ice creams for 60 pence, and he seemed to be surprised! Perhaps it was too cheap even for then?
Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Just had to order myself a new phone, after the other one fell onto a concrete slab and the screen is badly cracked! :(

The same thing happened a couple of years ago, and both times it's been my nephews who are (partially) to blame. The first time they were kicking a football about in the garden and a wayward shot knocked the phone right out of my hands - and rather than land on the grass it kindly managed to find a concrete slab!

This time, I was in the shed with the cats. My brother calls round with his kids just to chat on the drive for a few minutes. My nephew drops something, I bend down to pick it up and my phone falls out my pocket and crashes onto the path.

Just ordered another, which said next day delivery. But I guess because it's Easter, the estimated arrival is for Tuesday - so actually 4 or 5 days with a cracked phone by the looks of it.

I'm always so glad to see my nephews. :wink:
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Sometimes it can be a surprise for the new delivery - but I won't hold my hand out for it Hope it's soon.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's rotten luck, Bertie. Hope your new phone arrives soon.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Thanks, Jack and Anita. :)
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Bad luck about your phone Bertie.
Julie2owlsdene wrote: I don't mind the clocks going forward an hour as we get the lighter nights now. Which is great in the summer as the days seem longer.

I hate the clocks going back into winter, as the nights then begin to draw in too quickly, and it's dark by 5.30pm!

8)

Thanks for the reminder Julie!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Thanks, Pete. :)

It hasn't arrived so it obviously is going to be Tuesday by the time it gets here. Fortunately, the phone itself is still working. A couple of the side buttons were dented and at first weren't working properly but are now OK so it's all functional at least as a phone. But the screen isn't in great shape so I wouldn't like to try reading / watching anything on it for long!
Society Member
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I dyed eggs today. There were some obstacles like only noticing that the eggs I bought some days ago are brown (I didn't plan to dye them at that point in time) and only after I had gone to the shop a second time today to get white eggs I realised that something else was missing - what I thought to be red onions were actually little red potatoes :lol:. So I walked around some more today than planned.
The result is a bit mixed. The color from the red onions is nice while powdered turmeric is a bit pale. I'm also not very skilled when it comes to fixing the leaves into place... but I still like the result.
(Edit: There might be a problem with the picture - it shows in the browser of the PC but not on my phone. I don't know a solution to that, sorry. It's a pity the page I used for uploading pictures until some months ago is offline.)
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Bertie wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 21:24 Just had to order myself a new phone, after the other one fell onto a concrete slab and the screen is badly cracked! :(
Couldn't you just have had a new screen fitted? Still, a new phone is always exciting (maybe)! Do you keep it in a case - either a wallet-type or one that gives it some protection:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61z ... L1500_.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81L ... L1500_.jpg
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Lovely eggs Hannah!

Up at 7am. Weeding, cleaning garden table and chairs. Cutting hedges. Jet Washed patio.
Guess what absolute idiot went to the shops also today at 8am thinking today was Saturday!! :oops: :oops:

Anyway, time to stop now and have a large coffee.

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Moonraker wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 13:44
Bertie wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 21:24 Just had to order myself a new phone, after the other one fell onto a concrete slab and the screen is badly cracked! :(
Couldn't you just have had a new screen fitted? Still, a new phone is always exciting (maybe)! Do you keep it in a case - either a wallet-type or one that gives it some protection:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61z ... L1500_.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81L ... L1500_.jpg
Thanks for the links. :)

I did have a case for the previous phone, but I didn't like using it as much with it in there so I'd use the case for carrying the phone around but take it out to use - which meant when it got knocked out of my hand by a football it was uncovered and smashed. This one was a new brand and I'd have had to get a different case and decided not to bother - though as it fell out of my pocket while not using it it would have been protected this time had I got one! So I have sent for one this time around.

As regards getting the screen replaced - I don't buy particularly expensive phones and the last time i did take it to a couple of options but the price they quoted to fix it meant I thought it was better just getting a new one. And this time around, a few of the side buttons have been damaged as well. So I just immediately cut to the chase and ordered a new one (just unfortunate Easter has meant the next day delivery becomes a 5 day wait).
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I've pre-ordered my copy already!

Society Member