Time for Tea

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Domino

Re: Favourite brand of tea?

Post by Domino »

Pete wrote: No Yorkshire Tea fans here then? Is it just me?

No, Pete, it's not just you. I like Yorkshire Tea too.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

No Yorkshire Tea fans here then? Is it just me?
Old Dick being a fictional character, his tea preferences may not count very much here - however, in case they do: I like Taylor's of Harrogate, who sell their tea under the label Yorkshire Tea, I think.

Taylor's and Whittard are coming straight after Barry's on my list.

Sadly Nigel is right, hardly of the big teamakers are 100% Fairtrade. 'My' three preferred ones have joined organisations that do promote ethical trading though, an improvement at least.

Once again, it is down to the buyers, meaning us. As long as we buy on a 'ask no questions and you'll be told no lies' base, well, little is going to change. That goes for tea, clothing (Rana Plaza has collapsed just a year ago, remember?), foods in general, furniture, in fact anything we buy. However, usually improvements will mean higher prices - which not everyone here can afford.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Moonraker wrote:I will only buy Fairtrade products (where possible), so many of the brand-leaders are 'out' for me.
I don't drink tea or coffee, so not really an issue for me, but I am always teasing my wife that by buying "fair trade" she is doing more harm than good. The Economist back in 2006 said:

Fairtrade food is designed to raise poor farmers' incomes. It is sold at a higher price than ordinary food, with a subsidy passed back to the farmer. But prices of agricultural commodities are low because of overproduction. By propping up the price, the Fairtrade system encourages farmers to produce more of these commodities rather than diversifying into other crops and so depresses prices—thus achieving, for most farmers, exactly the opposite of what the initiative is intended to do. And since only a small fraction of the mark-up on Fairtrade foods actually goes to the farmer—most goes to the retailer—the system gives rich consumers an inflated impression of their largesse and makes alleviating poverty seem too easy.

I support 'ethical' whisky though by buying from independent, locally owned distilleries such as Kilchoman and Springbank rather than behemoths like Diageo (well, nearly always...)
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I'm just about to have another mug of tea - my sixth today.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

What do you you drink your tea out of? I drink mine out of a very large sized china mug.
I think it holds about a pint of tea.
sorry I don't know the metric equivalent, but I would guess it would be around 500ml or maybe more??

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

500ml is the size of a small bottle of mineral water so looking at that mug I'd say more like 5 litres!!!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Today at a small London cafe that shall remain nameless, I ordered "fresh mint tea", since it was on the menu and sounded nice. For £2 (while "normal" teas were £1.50) I got a mug of hot water with fresh mint leaves in it. Well, I should have guessed. Of course, not being dried, they didn't steep/infuse like tea (including herbal tea) does; all it came to was hot water with a vaguely minty taste. Won't be going there again (the food was nothing special either). Nigel, I think maybe you have a point about pretentious rubbish... :?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

It's like these 'trendy' restaurants where you get a portion the size of a 50p piece - give me sausage and chips in a basket in the pub any day! :)

You definitely don't get the same effect with fresh mint, I've tried it myself and my box of 90p Sainsburys mint teabags are far far superior ;)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

pete9012S wrote:No Yorkshire Tea fans here then? Is it just me?
By eck lad, 'appen it's got to be Yorkshire up here.

I'll drink anything up to about 10 cups a day, sometimes more, am referred to in the office as TB - the first initial standing for tea, then second, well, someone who makes it....

White with one, and if it's too wet - a Rich Tea biscuit soon sorts that out - dunked as a pair as they're far too wimpish on their own.
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Started off the day with a cup of green tea around 7am .Had a cup of normal tea from a client at 11am.
Then after luncheon I had a cup of lemon & ginger tea.
Just come in from work and made myself a giant cup of PG Tips with milk.I put the milk in 1st and made the tea actually in the cup as it is so big.
Tea contains caffeine,and I believe I can just feel it starting to kick in.....cheers!! :D

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

And to complete the happy feeling - a Blyton book in your other hand!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

I have tea at least five times daily--- nice strong tea with milk and sugar--- and a Blyton book to read :) :) :)
Adithi B
Favourite book/series: I LOVE EVERY BOOK I READ OF ENID BLYTONS
Favourite character: ANY CHARECTER ENID BLYTON CREATES

Post by Adithi B »

I am not a big fan of tea right now maybe in the future. :D, but I like tea which is not strong and has a lot of sugar. :D I rarely drink tea. :P
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

My Mum is totally unaware of this excellent tea thread that we are all enthralled with and are enjoying sharing with each other.
It was therefore a timely but unexpected surprise when she came back from her shopping trip this evening with two boxes of tea I have never encountered or tried before.
Here are the two boxes she bought me.
Have you tried any of them or have any comments on what they may taste like?
I'm just trying the Banana & Cinnamon one as we speak.....

Mmmm I'm finding the banana one enthralling,relaxing,and enervating.The combination of banana & Cinnamon works very well together.

It seems to be on offer at the moment too at a very reasonable price,which is probably why my mum has bought a box for me!
It has been more more expertly reviewed than me by Laura at Laura's Tea Room..

http://lovetealoveblogging.blogspot.co. ... namon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

What's up? No-one drunk any tea today?
Society Member