English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: English Grammar, Spelling and Vocabulary

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 19:10 This was in a communication from English Heritage:

"Learn about the conservation works taking place to protect it from our team of experts."

I really hope that it is poorly worded, and not that the site in question needs protecting from the experts! ;)

Good one! :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Katharine wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 19:10 This was in a communication from English Heritage:

"Learn about the conservation works taking place to protect it from our team of experts."

I really hope that it is poorly worded, and not that the site in question needs protecting from the experts! ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Guess you never know with some of these "experts"... :shock: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Here's another fine example of ambiguous wording in a BBC headline:

Homeless tents destroyed during Met Police operation

Those poor tents... how did they become homeless in the first place? Did they really deserve to be destroyed, rather than taken to a homeless tents' shelter? Aren't there any tent charities that might have been able to help them out of their predicament?? :shock: :roll: :P

(Now I'm having visions of a shabby tent sitting on a street corner selling The Big Issue, but my sanity level does tend to drop sharply at this time of night :wink:)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

I expect the writer really meant: "Learn from our team of experts about the conservation works taking place to protect it".

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Serial comma (Oxford/Harvard comma) - endangered?

Post by MJE »

I think I can hardly trawl through all 144 pages of this thread to see if this has already been discussed (perhaps to death), but I am prompted to raise the issue of the serial comma - that is, when a list of usually nouns (but it can be verbs, adjectives, or adverbs) occurs, with most of them separated by commas, the last couple will usually be separated by a conjunction such as "and" or "or", possibly with a comma immediately preceding the conjunction. The serial comma is that one immediately preceding the conjunction.
     For example, in a simple list such as "blue, red, and yellow", the last comma is the serial comma - without this, the list reads "blue, red and yellow". It is sometimes informally known in Britain as the Oxford comma, and in the U.S. as the Harvard comma - I presume because the style guides of those universities favour retaining the serial comma as the norm. (I don't know if there is an Australian name for it - I think the serial comma is extinct here, although I steadfastly continue using it.)
     Most sources when discussing the serial comma say that it is optional, but one should decide whether to use it or not, then remain consistent - the only exceptions being that where your normal practice would cause confusion about the list items, you should depart from your usual stance if it will clarify the list. (Sometimes it is necessary to change the order of the items, especially if some of the list items themselves include a comma or conjunction.)
     Despite sources giving lip service to the serial comma being optional, as if either stance is about equally common, I get the impression that the serial comma is alive and well in the U.S., and just about extinct in the U.K., and in Australia also (regrettably, in my opinion).
     I wonder whether there are any authoritative sources that dictate that one should not use the serial comma in the U.K. and Australia, or whether it's just a fashion that people seem to have adopted, just from seeing those around them doing it, and so following suit.

Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge about this?
     Has anyone ever deliberately changed their practice on the serial comma (either adopting or abandoning it) as a result of what others around them do? Is there any merit in changing solely because of what you see others doing?
     Has anyone ever, despite seeing what others around them do, deliberately not followed suit, and why?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I was taught that there was no comma needed where the 'and' went at the end of a list, so unless it's going to cause terrible confusion I don't use it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

The same here, Fiona.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I agree.
MJE

Post by MJE »

To me, without the comma, it makes the last two items feel more strongly connected to each other than with the other preceding adjacent pairs.
     That's probably why I favour the serial comma, although I don't quite remember now when or why I initially adopted it.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Like Fiona and others, I was taught at school that no comma was needed before 'and' at the end of a list. It was only later on that I learnt about the Oxford comma, which I use occasionally if it serves to clarify things.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I was taught the same as Fiona, that it was not necessary to use both a comma and "and" at the end of a list.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

By coincidence, last night I finished reading The Good Thieves by Katherine Rundell (an excellent children's adventure story set in 1920s Manhattan). There's an acknowledgements page at the end of the book and the author thanks her big brother "for pointing out my near-clinical addiction to the Oxford comma". While reading the story I hadn't noticed how Katharine Rundell had used commas in lists, but I looked back through the book and found two instances of Oxford commas (there may well be more):
Swiftly she dressed in her skirt, jersey, scarf, and boots, coaxing the left one over her foot, which still throbbed from the night before.
Ten minutes later, all four children were sitting on Vita's bed, and Silk was eating a sandwich made of everything sweet Vita could find - butter, peanut butter, honey, chocolate shavings, and a sliced banana.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The basic thing I always notice about the Oxford comma is that Americans ALWAYS use it — I think it must be drummed into them at school — and English speakers (or writers) from other countries only use it when it's necessary for clarification. It's definitely necessary in a sentence like this:

I'd like to thank my parents, Oprah Winfrey, and God.

versus...

I'd like to thank my parents, Oprah Winfrey and God. :wink:

Because of the occasional possible ambiguities like that, some people — again, I only ever see this from Americans for some reason — argue that the Oxford comma should always be used in every list of items, but to me, that's overdoing it. Unless it really IS needed for clarity, I usually don't bother with it.
Society Member

Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I don't have a strong view on the Oxford Comma, but all this talk of it has inevitably led to one of my many listens to the Vampire Weekend song of the same name. :)
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

dsr wrote: 01 Oct 2023, 01:11 Sorry, Nigel, but you're applying strict logic to English grammar. I don't think that can reasonably be done.
Besides which, my own personal preferences is to apostrophise number plurals such as 1960's and there is no authority on earth that can stop me!!! :twisted:
You carry on, old friend! It's a bit like my grandson who insists on saying "could of" instead of "could have". He insists he is right, that the English language evolves, and this is part of the process!

I still enjoy Tony Blackburn's Sounds of the Sixties, with or without apostrophes!
Society Member