Downton Abbey!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Downton Abbey!

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I went to see this new film a couple of weeks ago, Anita. And I agree with you, that it was far better than the first film they did.

I thought it was done extremely well, and I loved the fact that they uncovered a little of the past love of the grandmother. There was a lot going on, and the fact that Downton had a film crew making a film there too was so superb. I had an idea that they would use Lady Mary's voice too. It was all so brilliant.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

My wife and I are hoping to go on Tuesday or Thursday. We had planned to go much sooner, but other things kept cropping up.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I saw it a few weeks ago and also enjoyed it more than the first. I had to do a bit of revision first to try and remember who all the characters were. I tend to forget a few details over the years.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Lenoir wrote: 29 May 2022, 19:13 I tend to forget a few details over the years.
I think we all do, Lenoir. Sadly a sign of getting old. :( ;)

As I don't get to the cinema these days, I'll have to wait to see it until it's released on DVD/Blu-Ray. :(
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 27 May 2022, 22:17 I watched the second Downton Abbey film at the cinema earlier this evening and found it very good indeed - considerably better than the first. It was lovely revisiting characters I've come to know so well over the years, and I enjoyed the period details as always. The storyline consisted of a number of interesting and emotional plot strands revolving around the past, the future, love, talents, ambitions and dreams, and I was so caught up in it all that I felt bereft when it ended (but also on a high!) Has anyone else seen it?
Yes, my wife and I finally managed to get to see it today Anita. Most enjoyable. It certainly seemed to tie up a lot of loose threads and give everyone a dignified update/fulfilment of their own personal storyline within the history of the series.
Quite a few emotive moments for me too. Lady Mary & Carson, Mr Molesey & Mrs Baxter to name just a few..

I took my wife out for tea afterwards as a surprise, so I am currently in her good books - it won't last long! :D :wink:

Society Member
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: 29 May 2022, 09:15 I went to see this new film a couple of weeks ago, Anita. And I agree with you, that it was far better than the first film they did.

I thought it was done extremely well, and I loved the fact that they uncovered a little of the past love of the grandmother. There was a lot going on, and the fact that Downton had a film crew making a film there too was so superb. I had an idea that they would use Lady Mary's voice too. It was all so brilliant.

8)
Thank you! I am not sure whether I will see it at the cinema or wait until it is on DVD and purchase it. Maybe both. I am looking forward to it regardless!
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Caution - spoilers! I ended up getting this on DVD as I missed it at the cinema, but I really wanted to own a copy of the movie anyhow - why not, I have the collection! I loved it; the end was sad, but the behind the scenes on this was even sadder as they gave her a guard of honour, complete with modern motor vehicle! Maggie Smith is one of a kind for sure. I love that they gave Mr Molesey a much larger part here, and when the servants got dressed up well that was worth seeing too, I was so happy for them! We also see the next generations growing older. They went on location where Carson wears too many clothes lol and the storyline keeps the viewer guessing right to the end. The wit and the humour are ever present too, and the fact that it was filmed during the height of the pandemic also goes to show that nothing stops this family! :wink:
Last edited by Anne Gracie on 30 Sep 2023, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Glad you enjoyed it Anne Gracie. My wife and I managed to see both pictures at the cinema.
I wonder if there will be any more films in the future?

Society Member
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

I certainly hope so Pete! There is plenty more scope in the storylines and the time periods.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The complete box-set is available on Britbox.
Society Member