Downton Abbey!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Downton Abbey!

Post by pete9012S »

Enjoyed the film - it was very good.

Almost had me giving way to tears of emotion in places as many of the characters searched for that sometimes elusive, life enhancing quality - happiness.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

I like 'Downright Shabby' but I rarely go to a cinema. I last went for the Harry Potters and suspect I may never bother again. I'm hoping DA will be the Christmas Day TV movie in 2020.

Have to say though that I think that its spiritual predecessor, Upstairs Downstairs, was better still.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Upstairs Downstairs was good BB, just watched an out of sync documentary about it..

After Upstairs Downstairs - Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwdcSOLPktE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I was a great fan of 'Upstairs Downstairs' when it was on in the 1970s, though I did not see the first series (1971?). The third and fourth series , on the run-up to the First World War and the War itself, were particularly realistic and gripping; the outbreak and course of the First WW was handled well and very extensively at length over around 10 episodes, giving picture of its effects on the civilians as well as the shell-shocked soldiers and refugees. This was my first TV introduction to the period, well before 'Blackadder' did it.

I suspect that getting the little details of life below as well as above stairs correct was easier for Upstairs Downstairs than for Downton Abbey as it was made closer to the time being portrayed - a gap of around 50-60 years to its filming in 1971-5, not nearly a century as for DA. I seem to remember that one of the writers (?Jean Marsh, the co-creator and who played 'Rose the maid'), said she had had a relative in service whose stories had inspired her. The achievement of UD was despite it almost all being filmed indoors and very rare outdoor shots, with two episodes of series 3 shot on a country estate for fox-hunting house-parties and one on a beach . I remember taking a look at the real Eaton Place in Belgravia, London (near Victoria Station) with my parents at around the time of filming. I once saw Nicola Paget (the Bellamys' daughter Elizabeth in series 2) in a supermarket in West London , and John Alderton and Pauline Collins (the chauffeur and a maid in series 2) in Hampstead High Street when I was a student!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I went to see the film Downton Abbey at the Orion Cinema in Burgess Hill this afternoon and we thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

We were also big fans of Upstairs, Downstairs in the 1970s. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Really glad you and Chick enjoyed it Eddie.

After the film I took my wife to McDonald's for her tea and bought her a fillet o'fish meal deal with large fries and a diet coke - who says romance is dead!!! :D

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks, Pete. :D

Love your comment about McDonald’s. :lol: Chick and I often go to our local McDonald’s for a good value meal.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
William E
Favourite book/series: Five on a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Dick

Post by William E »

Hi I saw the new Downton Abbey film a week or so ago at the cinema in Skipton. It was old world 1950's styled and there was a historic projector on display. The film was very enjoyable. Recommend it. I have not continued to watch all the programmes but enjoyed series 1.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I watched the Downton Abbey film last week with my dad and my daughter and son. We enjoyed it and thought it did a great job of recapturing the ambience of the TV series and taking us straight back into a familiar world with characters we've come to know so well. I must admit I found the pace a little slow near the beginning, which was a shame as it meant there wasn't time to develop some plot strands as fully as they deserved - e.g. the behaviour of the dressmaker was intriguing, as was Princess Mary's situation, but there wasn't sufficient opportunity to explore those threads properly in a film as there would have been in a TV series.
pete9012S wrote:Almost had me giving way to tears of emotion in places as many of the characters searched for that sometimes elusive, life enhancing quality - happiness.
Yes, the theme of happiness was woven through the storyline and made for some heartwarming scenes. The most emotional moment for me was the conversation between Violet and Mary. I've always found Thomas Barrow to be an interesting character too, so I'm glad he was given a fair amount of screen time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by jubei »

I am a TV series fans but only happened to learn about Downton Abbey this month. Now I am on season 4 and enjoyed very much this show. Though I rather surprise to see quite a number of character deaths, just like in Game of Thrones where it's kind of shocking.

My favorite is Lady Mary with her distinguished voices and accent. I love architecture and this show is a feast to my eyes :shock: .
reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery
timv

Post by timv »

What I'd love to know is how many character deaths were planned from the start in the script-writing and how many were caused unexpectedly by the need to write out a character as the actor could not commit to another series. There's a famous occasion in DA of one major character (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it by saying who!) having to be written out in a hurry after they were hired for a series in the US and had to say they could not film another series in England!
UK shows tend to be reasonably free from this sort of 'poaching' of top actors or people leaving unexpectedly, though I feel that these factors (and actors not wanting to do more than one series?) has messed up a few long-term dramas on the BBC and ITV. I seem to remember a few unexpected departures of leading actors in the BBC's Highlands drama 'Monarch of the Glen' causing abrupt swerves in the storyline in the 2000s. It's also perhaps more prevalent if shooting is done a long way from London and actors do not want to be tied down to long periods spent on set for more than one year; DA was mostly filmed in N Hampshire (Highclere Castle) and Wiltshire (village scenes at Lacock near Chippenham and Bath) so it was not too inconvenient.
Society Member
jubei

Post by jubei »

I will anxiously see who are you referring to as I progress.

I also impressed at how well the writer do each character's background story. Even, the brief back story of (Charlie) Carson is interesting. And Mrs Patmore sound reminds me of typical kitchen master from Enid Blyton world, although I can't recall any names at the moments.

Shall continued watching this week, up to season 4 ep.3.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

So glad you are enjoying it Jubei!

Bates (Brendan Coyle) assists Lord Grantham (Hugh Bonneville) in Downton Abbey. A valet and his master become close over the years.
The Duties of a Valet

Fans of Jane Austin and Downton Abbey may find this article interesting:
The valet (rhymes with pallet) is a personal manservant who tends to his master’s every need, from a clean room to seeing to his clothes to making sure that his entire day goes smoothly from the moment he rises to the time he goes to bed. Also known as a gentleman’s gentleman, the valet is the closest male equivalent to a lady’s maid.
https://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/ ... f-a-valet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
jubei

Post by jubei »

Thanks for that piece of information Pete!

I assumed the Lady Maid is equivalent to Valet, whom served the madame.
Butler is the head of all servant. And what is Mrs Hughes position called again?

Is Footman a "general" male servant?
Chauffeur is responsible to outdoor traveling task.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I was recently lent the entire 6 series boxset.

I'd never seen an episode of Downton Abbey until a few days ago.

Now I'm utterly hooked! Amazing drama!