Downton Abbey!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Downton Abbey!

Post by Kate Mary »

I have played Racing Demon many years ago, there was a craze for it when I was in the Sixth Form, it is a sort of competitive patience, the players can build on anyone's bases, it needs to be a type of patience called Canfield aka Demon to be Racing Demon. If you are playing the usual sort of patience aka Klondike the game is then called Pounce. It is a very exciting game but I don't remember it being so fast and furious as was shown on the Downton Abbey, but we did have a no biting rule. If you fancy having a go make sure each deck of cards has a different back.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
*** SPOILER WARNING FOR DOWNTON ABBEY SERIES 4***

Interesting that the card game played by the servants was Racing Demon. Jack, Peggy, Mike and Nora play that in The Secret of Moon Castle. I hadn't realised each player needed a full deck of cards - or that the game was so fast and furious!
Didn't they play Racing Demon in "Circus of adventure" as well? Aloysius was so eager that he was annoyed when he lost an opportunity because his hair went in his way, and therefore the scene arose when he revealed his true identity.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, they did! I'd forgotten that until you mentioned it, Wolfgang.
Kate Mary wrote:I don't remember it being so fast and furious as was shown on the Downton Abbey, but we did have a no biting rule.
Crumbs!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I didn't remember the game in Moon Castle, in the German edition they simply play cards, the English version I only read once, and I'm no big fan of the secret series. It would be interesting to know if Racing demon was mentioned in other Blyton books...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I hate Mr Bates - how dare he threaten Mrs Hughes like that! She is one of the nicest characters in the stories. :? I'd be very upset if he just killed her off but if he does then he'll probably be hanged and we'd be rid of him too.

I'm glad things are clear though, between the Bates. I felt the plot line was probably dragging on a bit.

Alfred's stint at the Ritz was interesting too, and I was rather sad that he didn't get a position but Daisy's reaction made it all worth it.

I'm not sure where Miss Baxter suddenly came from? Edna left in the last episode and in this one she seems to be in Thomas' debt - I am sure more will be unveiled later but I found it rather unsettling.

Not much went on with the upstairs cast but I had a few questions - did Edith go to the clinic to check for pregnancy? From the preview of next week it appears that she may indeed be in trouble, and with Michael disappearing too things can't be too good for her. Poor Edith - nothing she does ever goes right. I'm wondering whether the document she signed earlier will come back to haunt her in the future.

I really enjoyed the scene in the nursery with Mary and Tom and little George and Sybbie, and it was heartwarming to see Tom being such an involved father. I hope he doesn't leave for America, I'd hate to lose Tom from the series.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I wouldn't have said that Mr. Bates actually threatened Mrs Hughes, Ming. He said that if she didn't tell him he would leave and not return, as he couldn't stand to see him wife so miserable. I'm glad that the whole thing is out in the open, as all that silent stuff, gets on my nerves. If something needs saying, say it! Mr Bates isn't stupid though and has guess about Mr. Green. Brilliant writing, but let's hope they don't put Bates back in prison for murder this time! :shock:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

That's the scene I was referring to, Julie, it was a much later scene, towards the end, when Mrs Hughes greets him and says she is happy the drama is over. Bates replies that it isn't and never will be, in quite a sinister tone, so much that Mrs Hughes is quite taken aback and says she has no idea who the attacker was, and wouldn't be able to tell him even if he held a knife to her. He said, "I understand and I won't press you but be aware. Nothing is over. And nothing is done with."

Okay reading this again makes me think less of him threatening her and more of him just hinting about what he is going to do.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, I know the scene you are refering to Ming at the end. But I don't think he was meaning to threaten Mrs Hughes. He was actually meaning and refering to Mr. Green, and Mrs Hughes then twigged that Anna had been right all along that if he got his hands on the man he would indeed kill him. Which is what Anna was afraid of. And she is quite unaware that he has sussed out who her attacker was. Gripping ending, I thought. :)

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

All the talk of farming in recent episodes reminded me of when William's father asked Daisy (in Series 3) if she would come and live with him and learn how to manage his farm, so he could leave his assets to her and she would be able to run it after his death. She didn't seem too sure about exchanging cooking for farming, but was touched that he was treating her like a daughter. Have we heard anything about that since? I've forgotten whether Daisy ever came to a definite decision. She could always rope in Alfred and they could make marvellous chutneys, pies and other delicacies from their home-grown produce, and sell them far and wide!

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I've never seen DOWNTON ABBEY, but visited Highclere Castle where its filmed, it must have made a huge difference to the owners to have all the income and interest generated by the series, being one of the few independent stately homes grouped under the Historic Houses Assn left, most come under the auspices of the Nat Trust or English Heritage
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm afraid that Downton Abbey is fastly turning into a soap opera. The whole rape plot was, in my opinion (and according to Radio Times, an opinion shared by thousands), both unnecessary and completely out of character. We don't settle down in our chairs on a Sunday night to watch Downton to witness horrendous acts such as rape carried out on a much loved character. All right, the scenes weren't exactly shown, but we do have imagination. On top of that, the much heralded performance by Dame Kiri Te Kanawa was totally ruined as we were switching between her performance and the horror unfolding downstairs.

Fellowes has committed a huge error of judgement in this storyline, in my opinion. I am afraid we shall be witnessing Bates' hunting down of the perpetrator, his act of murdering him and subsequent return to prison. Oh dear, the future is bleak.

As for the Ritz storyline, I also felt this was not of interest.

It is Downton Abbey itself that holds my attention. I have no interest in events played out elsewhere.
Ming wrote:I'm not sure where Miss Baxter suddenly came from?
Neither Jane nor I have a clue about that, either!

As for Thomas, judging by the fact that in every scene he is smoking, I wouldn't think he would be around for much longer!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think we're about to learn more about where Miss Baxter came from. She is obviously there as some sort of spy for that aggrivating footman, is his name Thomas??

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:The whole rape plot was, in my opinion (and according to Radio Times, an opinion shared by thousands), both unnecessary and completely out of character...

...Fellowes has committed a huge error of judgement in this storyline, in my opinion. I am afraid we shall be witnessing Bates' hunting down of the perpetrator, his act of murdering him and subsequent return to prison. Oh dear, the future is bleak.

** SPOILER WARNING FOR THE CURRENT SERIES AND EARLIER SERIES **

I don't think the rape plot was out of place in a programme like Downton Abbey but I felt sorry to see Anna and Mr. Bates going through such strain when they had already endured so much. I also recalled that there had been a seduction scene in episode 3 of the first series, when Pamuk crept into Lady Mary's bedroom in the middle of the night. It was a seduction rather than a rape as Lady Mary did eventually acquiesce - but only after he had entered her room uninvited, refused to take no for an answer, got onto her bed and plonked himself on top of her! And then of course the whole thing took rather a farcical turn because of what happened to Pamuk!

Anyway, that leads to my main criticism of this fourth series - that a number of plotlines remind me of episodes from earlier series. Matthew's letter from beyond the grave put matters right, just like Lavinia's letter from beyond the grave previously. Alfred wants to "better himself" by learning a new skill as Gwen did in the first series, and we've had Edna the maid frolicking with a social superior just as Ethel did. Matthew was never one of my favourite characters, but his death does mean that once again we're subjected to a succession of bores trying to court Mary. I know Sybil died quite some time ago but she was an interesting character and I still feel her loss - and things aren't the same downstairs without the scheming Miss O'Brien.

Going back to Mr. Bates, he might even suspect someone else rather than Mr. Green and that could lead to his harming or killing an innocent person. I just hope Anna with her gentle nature will be able to stop him doing anything rash. Not that I want Mr. Green to get off scot-free as it's likely he'll strike again if he thinks he can get away with it. We can't even be sure that Anna was his first victim - there may have been others who, like her, were too frightened or ashamed to speak out.

I still enjoy watching the programme as I love the characters and the period feel, and there's always something to hold my interest - at the moment I'm intrigued by Lady Edith's circumstances. However, this series (so far) has been the weakest for me.

Which series do people think was/is the best? Series 2 just had the edge in my opinion because the war changed things for everyone and we saw the three sisters discovering talents they never knew they had. I also loved the dramatic events of Series 3.

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Moonraker wrote:I'm afraid that Downton Abbey is fastly turning into a soap opera.
I too fear that Downton Abbey is going the way of Eastenders. I also have misgivings about some of the railway scenes but I digress! :D

Am I alone in finding Lady Mary to be utterly dreary? That monotone voice....
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lady Mary does have a glacial quality, not only because of her measured tones but her dignified bearing and her white-powdered skin and drawn-on eyebrows, which give her face a mask-like appearance. I can think of Lady Edith as "Edith" and I could think of Lady Sybil as "Sybil", but Lady Mary is always "Lady Mary". Mind you, there are moments when she softens and her face lights up, and those moments are all the more memorable because she's like a marble statue suddenly coming to life.

Society Member