Happy Birthday Ming

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Happy Birthday Ming

Post by Ming »

Thank you, John, Eddie, Wayne, Bannerman, Anita, Ilsa, Julie, Poppy, Nigel, Courtenay, John, Rebecca, Katharine, Francis, Spitfire, Petermax, Sixret and Abi! :D How lovely it is to read all your messages. :D

Nigel, there's no need to get up at 5 am!! :D The pictures more than make up for it!

I had a really wonderful time.

My Earth Systems class, with whom I go out for amazing labs every Thursday afternoon, started the celebrations early. My professor, Alex, normally asks at the beginning of class every Tuesday and Thursday whether there were any announcements. We didn't have any and we went off to outdoors as usual. This happened.

We reconvened in the afternoon for a sadly indoor lab and surprisingly Alex asked for announcements again, and a classmate, Steve, replied, "Well, apparently it's someone's birthday tomorrow!" and he appeared with a cupcake and a lit candle! It was really unexpected and lovely, apparently I looked terrified! Another of my classmates (Puerto Rican Kevin, I call him), added that it was our Observatory's 92nd birthday too and that the Astronomy Club were celebrating.

Two Indian girls who live on the south side of my dorm (I live on the north) but practically live in my room appeared at 11.30 pm when I was doing homework with gifts and cards. It was quite nice! :) My best friend who is studying in Malaysia called at midnight too to wish me. That was a bit scary and unexpected because I was ignoring the Indians while doing my homework and suddenly my phone started buzzing like crazy.

The 17th itself was very special because it was homecoming weekend. I don't know whether other countries have it, apparently it's a very American thing, where educational institutions welcome back alumni for "football" (American football :roll: ) and lots of other things. A lot of things were going on, but I had classes till 5 pm. After class my friends, my boyfriend Wahid and I went down to a West Campus dining hall for, according to Mexican Kevin, "wannabe" Mexican dinner. Our table was a gathering of international students - two Bangladeshis, two Indians, one Italian, one Lebanese and one Mexican - the one American at our table felt quite out of place, unfortunately!! Someone at the next table had a birthday too, and they sang Happy Birthday quite loudly. Kevin tried to pick up the song after they were done, saying, "Don't worry Ming, we can be louder!" but unfortunately none of them picked it up and poor Kevin trailed off awkwardly! He did promise loud singing for next year, though! :)

We all walked up to the stadium after dinner where there was a fireworks and laser light show. This year's spectacle was apparently the best anyone had ever seen - and I believe it, because this year we're celebrating Cornell's sesquicentennial! A couple of weeks ago Empire State Building was lit up in red and white to kick off the celebrations.

Saturday afternoon was the homecoming game which I obviously did not understand (why are men THROWING a ball in a game called "football"?!). In the evening the Muslim students association had a banquet, which was really lovely since I got the chance to dress up in a sari and not look really out of place! Afterwards I attended a concert of the men's choir.

All in all, I had a really lovely weekend. But now it's back to the books. :roll:

PS. if anyone has twenty minutes to waste, a desire to learn something of Cornell's history and see fireworks with screaming teenagers, check out this and this.

Happy days!

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Enjoyed reading your experience, Ming. Enjoy your student's life while you can, Ming. University life is the most enjoyable and memorable. :D
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I'm glad you had a lovely birthday, Ming. And what a wonderful glimpse of your life in America. I enjoyed reading your post.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

University life is the most enjoyable and memorable.
Well, maybe for some, but my own experience has been that life does go on after university, and actually gets deeper and more interesting in many ways. But glad to hear you're having such a good time, Ming. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Courtenay wrote:
University life is the most enjoyable and memorable.
Well, maybe for some, but my own experience has been that life does go on after university, and actually gets deeper and more interesting in many ways. But glad to hear you're having such a good time, Ming. :D
Ming hasn't got to that stage yet. I hope your time at Uni will continue to be enjoyable Ming and it will always be memorable. I can also tell you it is over far too quickly. (Not while you're there, but afterwards!) It will open many doors for you, I'm sure.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sounds as though you're having a super time, Ming! It's lovely to hear your news and to know that you're settling in so well.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Ming wrote:Saturday afternoon was the homecoming game which I obviously did not understand (why are men THROWING a ball in a game called "football"?!).Happy days!
Yes, Ming, I can surely understand your surprise at "American "Football" which does not in any way resemble the rest of world football that is commonly known here as "Soccer." Nonetheless Soccer is growing by leaps and bounds in this country, especially in light of the serious life-threatening injuries incurred by American-style "football." I strongly believe that by the end of mid-century and probably much earlier than that Soccer will be the leading pastime in this country i.e. I see young kids with soccer balls rather than with either American-style balls or baseball bats and balls.
Stephen I.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

So pleased you had a ball, Ming (that's not literally a ball, Courtenay :wink: )! I didn't go to uni, but Matthew certainly loved it!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Nigel, I do know the difference between literal and non-literal uses of words, as indeed we were discussing on another thread recently... :wink:

(Q. Why was Cinderella no good at soccer?
A. Because she ran away from the ball. :P )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Sounds very exciting, Ming - I am sure you will be enjoying all the American college culture and customs. Plenty of exciting days ahead of you - we will be here waiting to hear from you when you have time.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote:Nigel, I do know the difference between literal and non-literal uses of words, as indeed we were discussing on another thread recently... :wink:
Delighted to hear it! :wink:
Society Member
Bannerman65

Post by Bannerman65 »

Happy Birthday, Ming, for 2015. Did you get many presents....?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Happy birthday Ming. Hope you're enjoying your day.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

A very happy birthday, Ming - so sorry that my Enid Blyton days started too late to see you on your visit. You certainly left an impression on those who did see you.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MING. ENJOY YOUR DAY! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member