Your favourite holiday location.

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: Your favourite holiday location.

Post by floragord »

Wayne Pyer wrote:I like Porthcawl in South Wales. Nothing really special about it. It just feels right somehow. :D
I haven't been there yet, Wayne, but our nearest relations located at Neath also recommend it, must head in that direction soon!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

You'll love it. easy access off the M4.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

One of my favourites - The Lake District - Crummock Water and Buttermere for a day out, as its so secluded and off the tourist trail to a certain extent.

My favourite destination is probably Dorset - around Purbeck - and also Cornwall, around Fowey, because of the DuMaurier connection. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Wayne Pyer wrote:You'll love it. easy access off the M4.
Cheers, Wayne, looking forward to visiting.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

floragord wrote:
Wayne Pyer wrote:I like Porthcawl in South Wales. Nothing really special about it. It just feels right somehow. :D
I haven't been there yet, Wayne, but our nearest relations located at Neath also recommend it, must head in that direction soon!
I'm very much a 'North Walesian' if that's a word! My dad, coming from Denbighshire considers even Pembroke to be 'South Wales' and we have only ever visited South Wales proper once - to take a friend back to visit where he was evacuated at Cwmaman, Mid-Glamorgan. Apart from that, I've never visited any other place in South Wales - but spend dozens of holidays in North Wales and Pembrokeshire.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Wayne Pyer

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I live approx. 15 miles from Cwmaman. I think the term is "North Waleians" or "Gogs". :D
Ambersmum
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

Post by Ambersmum »

Favourites would have to be North Wales and the West Country for me although this year we are doing neither, we are off to Suffolk/Norfolk
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Wayne Pyer wrote:I live approx. 15 miles from Cwmaman. I think the term is "North Waleians" or "Gogs". :D
When our friend Colin (who sadly died in 2009) was evacuated there it was still a mining village, and he and his sister used to slide down the slag heaps on a tray!! :lol: It was a shame to see everything closed up and rundown when we visited in about 2004. Colin did find some relations of the people he stayed with, however, and their elderly aunt remembered him, as they were near to each other in age. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm hoping to have a Welsh holiday (preferably north, south and middle if I can fit it all in) one of these days — I've only been to Wales very briefly a couple of times, and only to a couple of locations in the south. I would love to see more of the country, but it just hasn't yet worked out with other commitments that have had to come first. But it's definitely on my list. Other than that, my favourite holiday location in the UK is definitely Cornwall (as some of you already know). But I also love Devon and Somerset and what I've seen of Dorset. I haven't made it to the north very much, other than a couple of holidays some years ago in Scotland and the Lake District (must go again), so I'd also like to do some more exploring there. Great Britain certainly packs a lot in for a relatively small island! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wayne Pyer

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Wayne Pyer wrote:I live approx. 15 miles from Cwmaman. I think the term is "North Waleians" or "Gogs". :D
When our friend Colin (who sadly died in 2009) was evacuated there it was still a mining village, and he and his sister used to slide down the slag heaps on a tray!! :lol: It was a shame to see everything closed up and rundown when we visited in about 2004. Colin did find some relations of the people he stayed with, however, and their elderly aunt remembered him, as they were near to each other in age. :-)
That is sad. Cwmaman has unfortunately become rundown. Another claim to fame for them is they are they "birthplace" of the Stereophonics. :D
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I stay in the South Wales town of Neath several times a year, and it's almost become a home from home. Not exactly a tourist destination, but it's got some interesting history. I've visited Porthcawl once, but I have to say I'm really fond of Swansea. I'm not a particular urban person, but it's lovely, municipal and spread out. You can be in a busy shopping centre, and ten minutes later be relaxing on a beach!

I was last in Neath a few weeks ago - but from there went to North Wales for the first time in about twenty five years! I was basically having a Bank Holiday weekend break with a couple of friends. We stayed in Borth, just up the coast from Aberystwyth which I suppose you could say is Mid. But during our time there, we spent a day in Snowdonia, and I'd forgotten how utterly beautiful that place is!

The drive back from Borth to England was very interesting as well. Just a road winding around these huge mountains.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Now this is an absolutely lovely thread. I honestly don't know what my favorite location is, but I've wanted to visit Santorini in Greece for so long now, though I kinda think I'd get bored of the bright sun very soon.
I'm a hiker, so I love any places with high mountains, especially the Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites, and of course, the stunning Himalayas. My little neighbors the Sahyadris/Western Ghats are absolutely teeming with biodiversity, (It's an internationally recognized biodiversity hotspot.), and it's honestly under appreciated beauty, especially in the rainy months of June to September.
Honestly, if I wouldn't consider the Pacific NW corner of the United States home, it'd be at the top of my list. You have beaches, the Cascades, sand dunes/desert areas, picturesque towns, beautifully laid out cities, and more, all in one place. It's possibly the most beautiful area in the world, in my opinion.
I'd also love to travel to Scandinavian nations, though maybe not in winter. :lol: Reykjavik, and Iceland in general, are on my bucket list, as is Machupicchu and Argentina.
Ugh I basically love everything on earth expect some select places.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I have probably posted here before but anyway, my head is more focused at the moment. :lol:
Like I have probably said 100 times over, I simply love travelling and I wish I had the time & money to visit all the countries in the world. (That would be a dream!) :wink:
But right now, there are quite a few places that captive my soul and imagination and where I really want to go. (I'm not going to include Peru because that is obvious, Peru is the most amazing and beautiful place in earth). These include Russia. The simple thought of going there fills my heart and imagination with so much happiness. Even the word Russia sounds romantic, mysterious, an embracing land. So yes, St Petersburg is on the top list there, because that is the city I long for, that's the city of my dreams. (And then other places too..)
Other countries which I think should attract more tourists due to their beauty and the friendliness of their people are definitely Iran and Pakistan. In Asia, those are the two places that seem to drag to their very core. And I so so want to go there.
Finally, Morocco. Explaining the love I have for this country is hard but its genuine. A historical amazing country :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Machupicchu14 wrote: Other countries which I think should attract more tourists due to their beauty and the friendliness of their people are definitely Iran and Pakistan. In Asia, those are the two places that seem to drag to their very core.
I'm genuinely so offended that you'd choose a terror sponsoring, poorly managed, failed state like Pakistan over India. You do realize that they sponsor terrorism, right? Their government can try to stop the people who kill brave Indian Army soldiers almost every day, and yet it just sits by and does nothing. I'm not saying anything about Pakistani citizens, because of course just like any other country, there are the good, the bad and the ugly but god I hate that government so much.

Of course like much else Imma let this pass for the sake of our friendship. :wink:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

For some particular reason I would love to go to India but I'm a bit scared of going there. Something which doesn't happen when I think of going to Pakistan and Iran. Well that's just me I guess :lol:

And to be honest Pakistan is one of countries to which I have read so much about that I guess I want to go there. About terrorism, I've read their government is trying its best to combat it (that's why Russia has improved relations with it as well) and yup relations between India and Pakistan have never been good at all.
And if we come to think of what countries sponsor terrorism I would probably only go from Ireland to part of Latin America and back :lol: :lol:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member